Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeQuestions

Ebay question - military and diplomatic mail13655

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Just have a question for anyone who has experience with this.

For international shipments I use ebay global shipping as it is simple to use and limits my liability.

Anything that happens to a package after ebay gets it in Kentucky is their problem.

Today for the first time I had a buyer with a military address.

From what I understand these locations can be outside of the US but still considered US soil.

The cost to ship there seems reasonable but I do have some concerns.

If the package is going a longer distance there is more chance of damage but I think I pack well enough that I could probably be OK with that.

From what I understand tracking may not be provided even if I use priority mail.

My biggest concern here is the possibility ending up with an item not received claim and basically sending the item for free.

I would appreciate it if people who have shipped to these locations or refuse to ship to these locations could chime in with their experience.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
As a guy who has had an APO/FPO address before, here's what it's like. It will get to where it needs to go. However, there could be a delay because the package will sit in NJ or wherever until there are enough palettes of outgoing mail. Don't bother sending priority because once it hits the military postal system, it won't move at a priority pace. It usually only takes a few weeks, especially now that the holidays are over. Put tracking on it, but package the hell out it because the military doesn't give a F about getting it there in one piece so long as it gets there. Fill out a customs form too. Those are needed for shipping. Truthfully, it just depends on where it is going. It could go to a cushy spot in Japan or Germany or it could go to a shit hole like Afghanistan.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
As a guy who has had an APO/FPO address before, here's what it's like. It will get to where it needs to go. However, there could be a delay because the package will sit in NJ or wherever until there are enough palettes of outgoing mail. Don't bother sending priority because once it hits the military postal system, it won't move at a priority pace. It usually only takes a few weeks, especially now that the holidays are over. Put tracking on it, but package the hell out it because the military doesn't give a F about getting it there in one piece so long as it gets there. Fill out a customs form too. Those are needed for shipping. Truthfully, it just depends on where it is going. It could go to a cushy spot in Japan or Germany or it could go to a shit hole like Afghanistan.

Thanks for the input.

The customs for asks for the recipient's telephone number.

Ebay does not like it when buyers and sellers give out that sort of information.

How do I handle this without pissing off ebay?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Just put their email address on it. I never messed with the phone numbers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I would also do the customs form at the post office in case the electronic customs forms give you grief.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Just put their email address on it. I never messed with the phone numbers.

I do not have the e-mail address.

That is also something ebay does not want me to have.

I would ask you the same question about pissing off ebay before trying to obtain it.

Also the online form has a star indicating that the phone number is required.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector HarrisonMade private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley pretty much covered it all. I send packages out to APO all the time and never really have problems. Just like he said, pack uber well and prepare for a little longer wait.

I had one APO that would bounce between 2 different countries before getting to destination. And that only made it take an extra week at most.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonMade
@Studley_Dudley pretty much covered it all. I send packages out to APO all the time and never really have problems. Just like he said, pack uber well and prepare for a little longer wait.

I had one APO that would bounce between 2 different countries before getting to destination. And that only made it take an extra week at most.

Thanks!

Did you need either the buyer's phone number or e-mail to complete the customs form?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector HarrisonMade private msg quote post Address this user
I just put my phone number down or their email depending on whom was getting the package.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonMade
I just put my phone number down or their email depending on whom was getting the package.

The buyer paid through ebay's payment program so I do not have their e-mail address or phone number.

I am worried that ebay will punish me if I ask the buyer for any of this information.

Please let me know how you dealt with this when completing the customs form.

Thanks again.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If you need a number, eBay shouldn't get upset at you for that because it's necessary for the shipping. Otherwise, like@HarrisonMade said, just put your number down.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I get the phone number displayed on every eBay order Awaiting Shipment or Paid and Shipped. On each one there is a unique eBay order number. You click on that, and the shipping info is on the right, address and phone number. The email address is on the left, but it is that randomized version.

I'm using Seller Hub, so I don't know if that is universal for all types of eBay interfaces.

Never saw the email address on the customs form show as Required, but things may have changed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
I get the phone number displayed on every eBay order Awaiting Shipment or Paid and Shipped. On each one there is a unique eBay order number. You click on that, and the shipping info is on the right, address and phone number. The email address is on the left, but it is that randomized version.

I'm using Seller Hub, so I don't know if that is universal for all types of eBay interfaces.

Never saw the email address on the customs form show as Required, but things may have changed.

Wow!

I had no idea that ebay shared all of this information.

Thanks for your help!
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
me to..I see all my ebay buyers info, (tel # included), on my Sold dashboard.
Post 14 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. If you don't mind me asking, how much is the shipment for, roughly? Is it a lot at risk?
Post 15 IP   flag post
600902 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?