Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Hypothetical Glossing Question13616

Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I'm trying to gauge how people feel these days about glossed covers.

If you had a professionally restored Avengers 1 9.4, but a light gloss would take it to 9.6, would you do it? It seems that collectors are a bit more tolerant of gloss on Golden Age books, but perhaps not so much on Silver keys.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Too perfect books - more perfect than they ever were when published - are too perfect.

Your example is pretty far out, and I think no one in their right mind would do it, but in general, books should be left alone unless conservation is really necessary.

IMHO
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector vision6797 private msg quote post Address this user
My Grail is the Avengers #1, the only one missing up to date of the series (all eight volumes) i dont think i would, but different collectors different views. I try to keep my books as natural as possible
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
I'm trying to gauge how people feel these days about glossed covers.

If you had a professionally restored Avengers 1 9.4, but a light gloss would take it to 9.6, would you do it? It seems that collectors are a bit more tolerant of gloss on Golden Age books, but perhaps not so much on Silver keys.

Thoughts?
Most likely no if it's already a restored 9.4- But how firm that "no" is depends on the nature of the hypothetical professional restoration. For me 'Slight' or 'Extensive' is the difference between "no" and "No!"

Besides,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
...but a light gloss would take it to 9.6...
would mean it's a foregone conclusion, when in reality it could stay the same, or if Jupiter and Saturn's alignment tugs on the Graders' brains in the wrong way, it could come back 9.2

In a nutshell I say no because I don't care for restoration on a comic that is plentiful in many, many unrestored conditions. If it's something TRULY rare and falling apart, I'd perhaps think on it a little more.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I appreciate the feedback. I don't think I would.

I've been looking at some restored Golden Age keys. They're like vintage cars that have been tinkered with by various owners, all with the goal of the highest grade possible.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I say leave it. But I prefer preservation over restoration. No purple labels over here in my collection. I've actually had the restoration removed for a clean blue label. I have Poor copies of golden age EC Comics that are so scarce they still went for thousands in their present condition.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
for me, it would depend on the magnitude of the Restoration pre-gloss. If slight then I would say do not gloss....if extensive than in my opinion, what's a little more gloss?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
for me, it would depend on the magnitude of the Restoration pre-gloss. If slight then I would say do not gloss....if extensive than in my opinion, what's a little more gloss?

I feel that way on occasion. I have a heavily restored FF1 4.5. I look at it and sometimes think, well, it's already purple with a lot of work, why not crank it up a bit more? It's the vintage car thing, I just want to tinker with it. The gloss though, not sure if I could go for it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Gloss is one of my pet peeves. It is an artificial application of something that was actually never applied to the book (at least more vintage books like Copper and before. Cannot speak to some modern books.)

Gloss comes from the cover paper being a "hard" paper by the use of clays such as kaolin and running it through smooth rollers at pressure as the final step in manufacturing. This is called calendering. The resultant gloss combined with the clay gives a hard surface that allows the inks to sit ON the cover rather than be absorbed (the way it is on interior pages). Attempts to apply gloss are simply adding something that never existed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@PovRow As always, giving out great info!
Post 10 IP   flag post
600896 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?