Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it already, but it's still entertaining.
Post 551 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I'm enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it already, but it's still entertaining.

Yup, it has been a while since I've seen it too.
Post 552 IP   flag post
A great Technicolor film!!! The "Horror of Dracula" on Svengoolie tonight!!!

Post 553 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Planning to watch this one!!
Post 554 IP   flag post
Time to make the popcorn and watch some Svengoolie!!!
Post 555 IP   flag post

I know it's early but...

“Svengoolie” to present his big broadcast of “The Land Unknown” (1957); this Sat. on Me-TV!

Post 556 IP   flag post
Starts in roughly an hour!! I'll be watching the Vikes vs 49er's preseason game until then, but I'll be watching this one.
Post 557 IP   flag post
I'll be watching too. I don't think I've seen this one.
Post 558 IP   flag post
I'm getting popcorn!!! 🍿
Post 559 IP   flag post
Now I know why there are so many commercials, the movie is 1hr 18 minutes.
Post 560 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

LOL

I'm thinking I'd like to go to C2E2 one of these years just to meet Svengoolie.
Post 561 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

LOL

I'm thinking I'd like to go to C2E2 one of these years just to meet Svengoolie.

If it's in Vegas let me know and we'll go together!

Oh, LOL Chicago... nevermind lol!
Post 562 IP   flag post
That was one Svengoolie movie that I wouldn't mind seeing a modern version of. Besides better technology, I'd like to see the plot expanded a bit and the characters developed a bit more. But I like the basic premise.
Post 563 IP   flag post
Collector GeekDragon private msg quote post Address this user
I live in Chicago, so I have been watching Svengoolie since he was Son Of Svengoolie. He is celebrating 43 years this year and is one of the nicest guys you could meet. He always signs for free at C2E2 and Flashback Weekend(a horror con here in Chicago). One year at C2E2, his line was just as long, if not longer then Stan Lee's line.
Post 564 IP   flag post
7 things you may not have known about Svengoolie, as told from his panel at C2E2 2022
The horror host told stories of his overnight success — after 43 years!

He's an overnight success — it just took him 43 years! After a few years of broadcasting from the Sven-cave, Svengoolie was finally able to emerge from his tomb and mingle with fans at the annual Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo once more!

During the weekend of August 5-7, 2022, Sven signed autographs, took photos, and heard (and told) more than a few bad jokes. As part of his haunting of C2E2, he held a panel where he took questions and told stories of his success, from Chicago to Berwyn —

(All together now...) BERRR-WYN?

— and here's 7 facts you might not have known that came from that panel.

1. He faced rejection

Sven talked about when the series was first getting off the ground. Of course, as many die-hard Svenpals know, Jerry G. Bishop was the original Svengoolie, but when they had a chance to revive the show after cancellation, Jerry wasn't interested in reprising the role and gave it to Rich Koz with his blessing. However, it wasn't always so easy. "One program director, when I told him what I wanted to do, he laughed and hung up on me," Sven said. "I wonder where he's working now."

2. He doesn't see other horror hosts as competition

"There's room for everybody," Sven said about the recent interest in hosted horror shows. "Our success nationally has made some markets go, oh hey, we can do this."

3. His first horror movie

So what started the life-long passion for horror? "The first horror movie I ever saw was King Kong." The 1933 movie has been ranked by Rotten Tomatoes as the best horror film of all time. The special effects used in the film were groundbreaking at the time. "Part of [the appeal] was the stop-motion animation."

4. The comic legend who was a hand at the door

One of the most iconic parts of Sven's show is the hand at the door at the end, accompanied by a disembodied voice who tells Sven an audience-submitted joke. George Perez, the Marvel and DC comics legend behind The Avengers and Crisis on Infinite Earths was a huge Svengoolie fan and became a close personal friend. He appeared as one of the hands at the door!

5. The sidekick who went out with a bang

Before Kerwyn became Sven's #2, a few different characters came through the dungeon. One of them was Ed the Bat, who spoke in an electronically altered high-pitched voice. One of the MeTV executives found Ed the Bat so annoying that when the choice was made to retire Ed, they decided to send him off memorably. "We shot an ending where he called him into his office and attacked him with a club."

6. The movie he thinks is underrated

What movie does Sven feel doesn't get enough love? "Fiend Without a Face." He's talking about the 1958 British black-and-white movie that you may have seen on Svengoolie before. Sven especially loves the monsters, who are invisible for most of the movie, but when they become visible, they look like — well, we won't spoil it here.

7. The sacrifice that Gilbert Gottfried made for the show

Gilbert Gottfried, who we sadly lost in April of 2022, was a big fan of the show and a personal friend of Sven. He would come and film segments for Svengoolie when he was in town. "He was careful to never say anything that we would need to cut out," Sven said, "which was quite an undertaking for him!"
Post 565 IP   flag post
“Svengoolie” presents his big coast-to-coast broadcast premiere of “The Killer Shrews” (1959), this Sat. on Me-TV

Post 566 IP   flag post
Gonna be a fun one. Can't wait to watch it.
Post 567 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Man... Roscoe P. Coltrane *AND* dogs dressed as giant rodents???

How have I never seen this one before???

Post 568 IP   flag post
Get the popcorn ready!!!!
Post 569 IP   flag post
7 minutes to go!
Post 570 IP   flag post
Ready to go!
Post 571 IP   flag post
Scary little things!

Post 572 IP   flag post
Saturday nights are great. First, the Three Stooges, then Svengoolie, then Batman. Can't get much better then that.
Post 573 IP   flag post
Since we have some 3 Stooges fans here, I thought I would share what I saw in September's previews on MCS. There are several different covers available, of course. I may end up getting one myself.

Post 574 IP   flag post

Post 575 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I'm pretty certain I've seen "Frogs" long ago. But I can't remember anything except it was slimy.
Post 576 IP   flag post
“Svengoolie” presents his big broadcast of “Frogs” (1972) with Ray Milland, this Sat. on Me-TV

Post 577 IP   flag post
Quote:
“Svengoolie” presents his big broadcast of “Frogs” (1972) with Ray Milland, this Sat. on Me-TV

Now THAT'S a movie poster!! 🐸
Post 578 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Since we have some 3 Stooges fans here, I thought I would share what I saw in September's previews on MCS. There are several different covers available, of course. I may end up getting one myself.

I had to stop working on my stooges collection about 20 years ago. It got out of control.
Gold rimmed plates, plush toys, coffee mugs, ink pens, statue, models, bobble heads and I don't even know what else.
Most of it is stuffed away in a closet somewhere....
Post 579 IP   flag post
Fifteen minute warning!!!!!
Post 580 IP   flag post
600771 738 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?