Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

SIR - Anybody else seeing interior scratch on the new CBCS case?13594

Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
I am seeing an interior scratch on almost all the new CBCS cases at the bottom of the case - please see photo. I am going to bring it to CBCS' attention but wanted to know if anyone else is seeing it and if it has been reported to CBCS and if so what are they saying about it The scratch is about 2" and on a 30 degree diagonal. If it is a light background, it is next to impossible to see but on a dark background it is easy to see.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It took me awhile to see the scratch. Not sure why.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Oh a scratch!

I thought you spelled something else wrong.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Oh a scratch!

I thought you spelled something else wrong.

lol!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
lol!! the joke write themselves on this thread.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Yes...on almost all of my last submission and other's I have purchased recently, in total on over 50 slabs I own. It's quite annoying and I've specifically listed these scratches in the condition and description on my Ebay listings. Same scratch on every one, happened in production and I'm sure they're aware of the issue although it may not have been as visible before slabbing.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Still not as bad as Newton rings...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk

But perhaps more unacceptable.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk

Maybe, but would probably be considered more of a defect than newton rings.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Awwww.......no fun...no fun!!!!@WalkinWillie changed the photo!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I wonder..I just sent 12 books to MCS and most of them say scuffing on the case but they were brand spanking new!! maybe it's this scratch they are talking about....mine were all lighter covers and to be honest I didn't look the over too much as I knew I was just re-packing to send for sale.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe it's a defect in the injection mold for the cases, a scratch on the mold's inner surface, so it shows up on every case.

To get crystal clear plastic, the mold surface has to be polished to a high luster, or the plastic will look more opaque. If the mold later got scratched during handling or in the manufacturing process, it would imprint the scratch on each case.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say it's not a scratch on the mold, I don't think that would escape the many eyes that would be on that. It's probably a temporary flaw in the process of encapsulation that's probably been addressed and corrected by now.
Post 13 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I wonder..I just sent 12 books to MCS and most of them say scuffing on the case but they were brand spanking new!! maybe it's this scratch they are talking about....mine were all lighter covers and to be honest I didn't look the over too much as I knew I was just re-packing to send for sale.

I think they are just as harsh on "grading" the slabs as they are the raw books.
I've sent them new slabs that had no defects at all yet still get the"scuffed" notes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'd say it's not a scratch on the mold, I don't think that would escape the many eyes that would be on that. It's probably a temporary flaw in the process of encapsulation that's probably been addressed and corrected by now.

Just received an order last week and the scratch is still there. I have brought it to CBCS' attention so we will see what they say.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
While we do our best to make our cases flawless, there are times when production processes will show minor imperfections. This minor "scratch" on the front to the case is caused during the production process and not something that can be avoided. The item is not actually a scratch either. This is caused when the case is produced and in all of the slabs we produce.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Are we back to thinking it is a flaw in the mold then? or maybe a flaw in the production process to cause a scratch/defect
Post 17 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I posited that it was a scratch on the mold itself, and I'm sticking to it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
It's not a scratch, nor a flaw in the mold. The new CBCS case is so perfect that you are actually seeing a ripple in the resin from the injection of the plastic into the mold. The manufacturer has made a slight alteration with every batch to try to eliminate it. The current batch is ever so slightly better than the ones before it, but the ripple line is still visible. They are making a significant change in the next batch that will be produced. Hopefully this change will eliminate the ripple, but we won't know for sure until the next shipment goes into production.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
The new CBCS case is so perfect that you are actually seeing a ripple in the resin from the injection of the plastic into the mold.

Dang, For a second I thought @SteveRicketts was going to say "...a ripple in the time space continuum" or something cool like that.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Somehow ... it just makes sense.

Post 21 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O sigh..I miss the shows...Phish was ok...Further Festival was ok....but the real deal was great...pretty sure if they were still around I could convince the old gang to at least hit a show or two...going on the road to follow them I think would be out though as jobs and family really don't allow for a few weeks following shows from state to state and stadium to stadium like in the old days.....sigh.....
Post 22 IP   flag post
601333 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?