Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comics damaged in transit to CBCS but they graded them anyway?13588

Collector mgm05e private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone else had an issue where your comics are obviously damaged in shipping to CBCS, but they do not notice and grade them anyway? I sent in 25 comics this week, of those 25, 22 should have been 9.8s, so I was super surprised to see that only half of them were actually graded, because the rest got rejected for being below 9.6. Just about all the ones that were graded have the same note: Corner Impact damage goes through book. Every rejected comic I got back has one corner smashed, even all the boards show the impact. I had the package insured for $1000, but since I was never notified, the 60 day claim window closed. To make it worse, I have to pay the grading fees and 2 sig verification fees on comics that scored well below what they should have. I am going to have to crack most of them and re press them, because a few have fixable impact damage. Overall, this is likely over $1k lost.

I have been trying to get a hold of my CBCS rep for the past 3 days with no luck. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
That really is rough. I'm eager to see the response. I've noticed that it often helps to tag Daryl in posts like this.

Good luck going forward.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
That really is rough. I'm eager to see the response. I've noticed that it often helps to tag Daryl in posts like this.

Good luck going forward.

Thanks for the tip. I will post what the resolution is when I hear back.

@Darryl_H Anything you can do to help? I know it is close to the holidays, so people may be out, but not having resolution on this is killing me considering the amount of money lost.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@mgm05e I feel for you. That is a terrible turn of events. I once had an experience where I got a high grade book off eBay (Detective Comics 400)which was supposed to have only minor color touch in one spot. I was ok with that, and made the purchase which was just over $400 dollars. I sent it in to get graded and nearly 4 months later when it comes back it was not graded and was rejected for having the center fold taped, and the cover glued on. I was So shocked because When I got it I leafed through looking at the art, but didn’t pay any attention to the centerfold at all. After getting the book back I was hard pressed to make a fraudulent claim against the seller on eBay. I battled for weeks to try and get my money back and finally got PayPal to refund the cost of the book sale price. I ended up losing on the shipping cost to me, grading fees, and shipping to and from CBCS. It was a disaster that taught me a very good lesson about buying valuable books of of eBay. I really hope you are able to get this situation sorted out. Best of luck to you.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
same thing happened to me and CGC last year so instead of the usual box of 9.8s I got back a bunch of 9.0s, 9.2s and 9.4s with corner crunches.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Sure would be nice if someone would take just even a cell phone photo of each box when they arrive. A photo with senders address visible so the photo can be tracked to the order. The photo would either prove there was no visible damage or be useful evidence in a claim with the post office.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I hate to hear that happened. I haven't sent much in to be graded, but I am super paranoid of something like that happening to me when I do. When I send, I put it in a Gemini Mailer and then put that inside a Priority Mail box.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm super paranoid about something like that happening so I go overboard on packaging and before I tape it up I literally shake it as hard as I can from various angles etc to ensure there is no movement within! When I have access to USPS boxes I pack one inside another with tons of packing material.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I've never mailed cbcs my comics for grading. Always drop it into their hands. 👍
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
I always use rigid corrugated board front and back oversized so even if there's impact the books wont get damaged. Best way I've found so far to protect books and doesnt require a ton of bubble wrap etc
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I am always worried about that happening. I ship my books in for grading in toploaders.

That said, I hope CBCS tries to work something out. It may be worthwhile to make a claim with the post office.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I used to think, it's the user's fault for not packing properly. You should be under the impression your package will be dropped a few feet and if you didn't do it right it's your fault.

Then I sent some books to be graded and even though the books were literally double boxed and had bubble wrap, I got the dreaded email that a book was damaged in transit. Since then, I've come to believe that there is no way to protect against all contingencies. If there is a way to damage it, shippers will find a way..... the only example that went against that was the guy who mailed me my JIM 83 1st Thor book. That could have literally survived a 2 story drop.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I used to think, it's the user's fault for not packing properly. You should be under the impression your package will be dropped a few feet and if you didn't do it right it's your fault.

Then I sent some books to be graded and even though the books were literally double boxed and had bubble wrap, I got the dreaded email that a book was damaged in transit. Since then, I've come to believe that there is no way to protect against all contingencies. If there is a way to damage it, shippers will find a way..... the only example that went against that was the guy who mailed me my JIM 83 1st Thor book. That could have literally survived a 2 story drop.

Ya, I thought my packing was bullet proof. It was bubble wrapped, double boxed, paper stuffed in all loose areas and the box was a good bit bigger than the comics. Never would have guessed they would be damaged.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I am always worried about that happening. I ship my books in for grading in toploaders.

That said, I hope CBCS tries to work something out. It may be worthwhile to make a claim with the post office.

I cant make a claim at the post office unfortunately. The window for a claim is 60 days and it took 75 for me to figure out they were damaged.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I suggest buying a collector's insurance policy. It covers comics in your collection you don't intend to sell during shipments and when someone else is performing work on them. The price of my annual policy has been saved in reduced shipping costs when I send my comics in for grading or pressing. It might cover all your bases, even though a package that is clearly damaged when it is received should be noted by CBCS. This isn't the first post to bring this up and it's a shame CBCS hasn't fixed this problem.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I do wonder how much responsibility the post office will take for damage in shipping. I recieved a box from MCS and one corner was clearly bashed. But they had put an L shaped cushion at each corner of the box, so the books were protected from the impact. I wonder how bad the photo would have to be for USPS to pay damages?

I had this same thing happen one time and it changed how I ship. At the recommendation of @HeinzDad I started using larger boxes so the corners of the books are not all that close to the corners of the box. I also pack 2-3 boards in each bag. Then 2 bagged and boarded books go into a Mylar. the Mylars have very rigid corners, add in the distance from the corner and 4-6 boards...it would take quite a corner impact to damage the books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I suggest buying a collector's insurance policy. It covers comics in your collection you don't intend to sell during shipments and when someone else is performing work on them. The price of my annual policy has been saved in reduced shipping costs when I send my comics in for grading or pressing. It might cover all your bases, even though a package that is clearly damaged when it is received should be noted by CBCS. This isn't the first post to bring this up and it's a shame CBCS hasn't fixed this problem.

This is great info, thank you. I did not know that this sort of thing would be covered. What company do you use?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

I get it and I would want the same, but they have no obligation to do so. They also do not know for certain if damage to a book was done in shipping. Who’s to say I didn’t send an already damaged UF4 to CBCS in a box that I crunched the corner on just so I can take a pay day courtesy of USPS?

Now it’s a different story if a box has been crushed, bent, mangled, or has some other catastrophic injury. I would hope CBCS would reach out; otherwise I should take the initiative to pack books to survive a short fall (everyone drops things at some point).

I have 1 sub in and 1 on the way. Both packed in a Gemini without wiggle room and generously bubble wrapped in a priority box. Anything can happen but I feel they’re safe outside of the extreme.

Edit: of course I’m not submitting big boy book. I’ll get there.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@mgm05e I use collectinsure. I don't have any experience filing a claim with them so I can't recommend something that I've never had to use. If you are eligible I know USAA also has a collector's policy.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I got a policy through this company clickable text

No deductible and the rates are reasonable. Be aware you have to ship via their guidelines (USPS Priority, fully insured). But return shipping from CGC can be a cheaper option like UPS & they’ll cover it.

I got a small discount for having an alarm system.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I also use collect insure. I partially filed a claim an it was kind of an odd experience. I emailed them in regards to a misdelivered package. Instead of answering my questions, they immediately told me to start a claim. I started claim, but the package eventually found its way and I cancelled the claim before they paid out.

You would think answering questions would be better financially for them than starting a claim. Go figure on why they were so impatient....
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
You would think answering questions would be better financially fir them than starting a claim. Go figure on why they were so impatient...

@Bronte They want you to have some skin in the game with a signed statement before they do anything. It's about getting someone on record with a sworn statement. I think they don't want to hear your side unless it's in a statement that you are legally responsible for. In my business about once a year a customer will claim some jewelry was missing after we did work in their house. We tell them that a crime is being alleged and we won't discuss or investigate until they have filed an official police report. In our case the problem has always gone away without a police report being filed.
Also keep in mind that insurance companies aren't as opposed to paying out as you might think. Their rates and offerings have to be approved by a state Insurance Commissioner. They have to pay out a significant portion of revenue to justify their rates. And the only way they can get rate increases approved is by justifying the need for it through payouts.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte Usually the person you are asking the question to regarding a claim can not answer the question. A claim must be fully investigated by an Adjuster before an answer can be given of whether the policy responds. A claim can usually be withdrawn without impact to the client before a payout occurs.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller @GAC

Interesting. Insurance is generally one of those mystery things you have to have, but never quite sure what they entail or how they work. At least from my perspective....

Thank you for taking time to enlighten me
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte my pleasure. I work in the industry... not in Claims but in Underwriting...I get questions like this all the time...in Canada atleast, if someone has a question about a potential claim it must go through an Adjuster to see if the policy responds or not. The same effort goes into determining if a claim proceeds or is denied unless its overtly obvious one way or the other.
Post 25 IP   flag post
What are our options for collectables insurance up here? If there is something we have that's comprehensive enough to cover shipments I'd really like to know what that is.

It's one of the things I really don't know anything about and is holding me back from sending out books for pressing and grading.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Terry88 in Ontario an all risk home policy usually has collectibles coverage but with a designated limit of payout subject to your deductible. You can purchase a rider for the full value but the insurance company will likely request an appraisal from a reputable company. If coverage for shipments is important you'd need to ask your broker if that's covered.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I need to look into this.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SupaCor private msg quote post Address this user
this happened to me last year with some green lantern books. they emailed me and sent pictures of the damaged books and they sent them back raw. sometimes things can slip through the cracks 🤷🏼‍♂️
Post 29 IP   flag post
Update: spoke with @darryl_h and they are looking into this now and will get back to me this week with a resolution.
Post 30 IP   flag post
603576 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?