Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector WebofCW private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, I'm new to the site. Trying to figure all this out. Looked through an old box over the weekend and found a Batman the killing joke in great condition. Would this be worth getting graded? Thanks all and stay safe
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
That depends on what your plans are for it. If it's personal, and you want to preserve the book, sure why not. If it's monetary, unless it's a very nice copy, I would say no.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @Bronte
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, I agree with both @Bronte and @Nuffsaid111.

And welcome to the forum!
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome!
As Bronte said, it’s probably not worth getting Graded monetarily speaking. Nobody here will be upset if you do anyway.
It’s a hobby, follow your heart.
If it’s a side hustle, don’t follow your heart, follow the money maths. Following the money maths is easier as you can distill everything down to a formula, but then have a much smaller stack to send out.

For me it was exciting when I first started going through my collection to see what was worth getting graded. Out of about 5 books I sent, about 2 were monetarily worthy of it, maybe 3. It was a learning experience. Nowadays I still send out a few books that probably aren’t worth it, but it’s fun.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for the advice all 👍 it is a lot of fun going through this box. My wife is laughing at me with comics all over my office!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@WebofCW What method for storage / protection are you currently using for your books? Plastic bags? Mylar? Just a big stack in the closet?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@WebofCW Welcome to the forums!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Most in plastic bags with cardboard backing. I took pretty good care of my comics as a teen.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@WebofCW another thing to consider is what print run of the book it is. There were like 14 print runs for “the Killing joke.” If it was a first Print than that would be of consideration. Also just from experience that type of book hides flaws really well. My copy that I thought was flawless came back a 9.4 from CBCS.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome aboard!

If you feel comfortable with it, you could post some pictures and you might get more insight into having it slabbed.

Preserving nice books is fun, but depending on your goals, you might be more discerning in what you slab.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Here is a picture of it. Not sure what edition this is ? The only ding i can see is the top left corner ☹

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The green lettering should make this a first print. Be careful not to open it up too far. Welcome to the forum.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info!
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@WebofCW - Welcome and Happy Holidays. Look around at the other threads and jump into the contests and discussions.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@WebofCW Check the back cover. I believe that it's pretty much all black except for a picture of a Joker playing card. See if the black shows any scuffs, fingerprints, creases, etc.
Assuming it doesn't then this book could be a good candidate for slabbing.

With that said, as has been mentioned by others, it kind of depends on what your plans for the book are. If you plan to sell then certainly have it graded. If you plan to just keep it in your collection, then you have to decide whether you want a slabbed copy or if storage in a mylar sleeve with an acid-free backing board is enough. The latter is certainly a good option since it's very protective, cheaper than slabbing and it allows you to actually read the book (I know... that's crazy talk, right? 😄). Killing Joke is one of the best Batman stories ever, IMO.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks so much again for sharing your knowledge. The back cover has a couple of small white lines. Thats pretty much it.
What does it mean when someone votes for my string? Not sure if I'm even saying that correctly 🤔
Post 17 IP   flag post
It's like a "like" or a "thumbs up." There's no official definition that I know of... just a gesture of approval or acceptance. 🙂
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebofCW
Thanks so much again for sharing your knowledge. The back cover has a couple of small white lines. Thats pretty much it.
What does it mean when someone votes for my string? Not sure if I'm even saying that correctly 🤔

It means they like your post haha.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the boards here!

The killing Joke has always been a great book, so congratulations on owning one.

I know some will disagree, but the only reason to have a book graded and slabbed is for the monetary value it brings and if you intend to sell it.

In today's hobby there are simply many more ways to display and store comic books that offer just as good or better protection for preserving books at much more affordable price.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebofCW
I think some of us call them checkmarks. I think they used to be hearts.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@WebofCW Happy Holidays and welcome to the forum!!!! I hope you hang around here and post comments, questions and some pictures.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598069 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?