Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Situation just got serious for this Ebay seller13578

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the shill bidders bid history. 100% of his 727 bids are with this seller. I can't believe he's not smart enough to disguise his actions and occasionally place some meaningless early bids with other sellers:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/ViewBidderProfile?&mode=1&item=303809563249&bidtid=1820445654020&_trksid=p2471758.m4792
Post 26 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
@HeinzDad Unlike overstating the grade, shill bidding is an actual criminal activity that can have legal consequences far beyond Ebay.

Except in Texas, last I heard.
Still true, @Precoder ?

EDIT: Not that that matters in this case, just saying.

That's what I heard, too. And, in fact, the laws are so loose, even the auction houses can shill bid. The person who told me that gave that as his reason for never participating in a Heritage Auction auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvar
I think to my knowledge Shill bidding is having someone bid on your auction, to raise the price with no intention of actually buying

thanks... I've heard of shill accounts as well and I'm just trying to get a meaning of the word.

And further, most "shill" accounts are actually fake accounts set up by the seller, in order to bid up his or her own auctions.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Having worked at Sotheby's Auction house in charge of their on-line fraud prevention group, Dalver is correct in his definition of shill bidding. We would, as I am sure Ebay does, is look at anyone bidding from the same IP (Internet Protocol) address or MAC address (Media Access Control) which are unique identifiers to identify bids coming from same IP address or MAC address which will show multiple Ebay accounts bidding on the same item from the same laptop, computer, phone or tablet. Ebay should also be looking at patterns of multiple accounts bidding on one Ebay sellers items. If there are enough red flags, a neural network will place these suspect bids in a que which will be evaluated for possible shill bidding.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Doesn't Heritage Auctions actually allow shill bidding? I thought they were outted years ago for having an in-house shill account? Which is why I never buy on HA.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Shill bidding falls under the NY State criminal procedure code as a "Scheme to Defraud" an ongoing scheme to defraud 10 or more persons. As Heritage is headquartered in Manhattan, NY. Heritage was sued by a disgruntled employee 11 years ago claiming shill bidding on the part of Heritage when they were located in Dallas. Whatever the history, Heritage would never state they allow shill bidding.
Post 30 IP   flag post

"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Some of you guys should quit collecting and start investigative service instead.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@justthatguy - Currently I investigate healthcare fraud for large insurance company, and retired NYPD detective, hence the name Doc Cop. A reminder to those on the chat to sub up my YouTube channel Doc Cop Comics. Shameless plug! Nuff said.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Doc_Cop yeah checked out one of your vids the other night 👍
Post 33 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Doc_Cop hell yeah, brother. Get them all.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Thank Southerncross! Much appreciated.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
That's what I heard, too. And, in fact, the laws are so loose, even the auction houses can shill bid. The person who told me that gave that as his reason for never participating in a Heritage Auction auction.

Yeah, I haven't looked too closely, but that plus the buyer's premium or whatever keeps me away. I cringe when I do the BP math on many of the final prices. Never participated. In fact, I don't think I've been in an auction anywhere in years.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Yeah, I haven't looked too closely, but that plus the buyer's premium or whatever keeps me away. I cringe when I do the BP math on many of the final prices. Never participated. In fact, I don't think I've been in an auction anywhere in years.

I didn't know they were no longer "located" in Texas and couldn't shill anymore. Good to know @Doc_Cop. It's weird, though ... they automatically add the buyer's premium in for you now. So you see the current bid in big numbers, and then a smaller script underneath that says "With buyer's premium: $X" or something like that. So you have the information. But your bidding is based on the smaller number, so I think that still gets people to bid more.

Anyway, I'm like you - I don't bid on HA very often. It's probably been a year since I won anything over there.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Nuff said.

Amen brother!
Post 38 IP   flag post
I prefer Comic Link myself. Unless your bidding on a big boy book or won multiple lots, the $20.00 per book (commission), tax and shipping cost (another $20)could really eat into what you thought was a good deal. I remember winning an incredible Hulk 377 first print in a CGC 9.6 for $37 bucks. I was thrilled until the $43.00 was added to it! Live and learn. In case I haven't said it enough, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Shill bidding falls under the NY State criminal procedure code as a "Scheme to Defraud" an ongoing scheme to defraud 10 or more persons. As Heritage is headquartered in Manhattan, NY. Heritage was sued by a disgruntled employee 11 years ago claiming shill bidding on the part of Heritage when they were located in Dallas. Whatever the history, Heritage would never state they allow shill bidding.

Heritage is headquartered in Texas, where shill bidding is not illegal.

This is from Forbes:

Heritage began auctioning comic books in 2001. Since then Halperin has sold thousands of Mad magazines, some duplicates from his private stock, others consigned to the company by the Gaines family. Such sales have the advantage of letting Halperin raise a little pocket change for new acquisitions--he also owns hundreds of pieces of original art as well, like classic panels of "Spy Vs. Spy," as well as works by non-Mad legends like Robert Crumb, Frank Frazetta and superhero artist Jack Kirby. And it helps establish a price baseline for Mad magazine. One way to make sure those babies keep rising in price: Halperin allows Heritage employees--himself included--to bid on items it auctions off. What seller wouldn't appreciate having a shill right there on the premises? Especially one with deep pockets.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Note that HA in their t&c actually state that they may bid on items in their own auctions
Post 41 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
At most, if not all, of the auctions it was announced that employees would probably be bidding on some of the items (apparently it's legal as long as they announce it at the beginning), I often wondered if they weren't just driving the price up on items that could have gone cheap. I have to say that I recall that the employee won every single auction that they bid on. Not saying there was anything cooked, how would I know, but it did seem suspicious.

My best guess in this scenario is that the auction house used employees to make sure that certain items never sold below a pre-determined minimum selling price. Kind of like having a reserve price without actually saying that there is a reserve price. I would also speculate that many of the serious bidders knew this and would back out of an auction once they see that an employee of the auction house is bidding. Many of us have learned to just ignore reserve price auctions if the reserve price is not announced. This would make it likely that the employee wins the auction most every time that they bid in it. There could also be the explanation that the regulars didn't want to drive up the price on an auction house employee...out of respect for the employee.
Post 42 IP   flag post
603794 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?