Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

siignature value13575

Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
How much of a premium over FMV does a signature of a writer or artist provide?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I would imagine that would vary depending on who signed it and if they are still alive.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say that's a Huge "depends" on who the artist/writer is.

Deceased Legends of the industry - significant FMV increase
Current Legends of the industry - moderate to significant FMV
Current well-known modern artists/writers - minor to moderate FMV increase
Regula folk trying to make it in the comic industry - none to minor FMV increase
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@tonyz58 - That’s always a difficult question to answer. For current artists and creators that are still actively signing, the answer is probably not to much more than the cost of obtaining their signature. For those that are more difficult to obtain (or more costly and/or more popular - maybe someone like Frank Miller) there will be some premium applied. For artists and creators that have passed, you have to factor in their popularity, how rare their signature is, and even what item is signed. I would think a collector would put a higher premium on a Jack Kirby signature on an FF #1, than on a Super Powers #1. So basically, it’s complicated.
As with the value of almost any book that is not commonly sold, I look at sold prices on eBay, and also use my paid prescription to Go Collect - in this case to look specifically at prices of CBCS and CGC signed comics. Sometimes there are few or no recent examples, so you have to then try to look at something close to what you have (or want to purchase). Unfortunately, there is no price guide that I know about, or any easy way to do it yourself. Then there are some collectors who want no part of signed comics, or only want them with interior signatures. There have been numerous threads about that already.

PS - welcome to the CBCS forums
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
There are a ton of variables on this one.

Some artists, writers, or celebrities add a lot of value due to the cost an difficulty to obtain the signature.

If the person is deceased the scarcity of books signed by that person is capped. Also getting someone like Alan Moore to sign a DC book is unlikely.

A key book or a sketch signed by an artist will get a bigger bump than something less relevant like a backing board or a piece of paper.

Most importantly demand will drive the premium to the price. Stan Lee signatures are fairly common but his impact on comics and popularity among fans carried a lot of weight even while he was still with us.

You could have a scarce book signed by someone who signed very few books but if no one cares it doesn't help you if you need to sell it because you have an emergency.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Odinson2000 private msg quote post Address this user
To me, it’s $50 for s new person, $75 for an old person, $100 for a dead person, then it’s 1.5x more if it’s on a minor key and 2.5x more on a big key, and an additional 2x more for every additional signature who worked on the book.

So if you have an FF1 signed by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Chris Rule, Sol Brodsky, Artie Simek and Flo Steinberg, you’re looking at a nice score.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I can see Frazetta fetching more than $100 if the buyer has confidence in it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Grade the popularity of the artist on a scale of 0.1 to 100.
Grade the value of the book on a scale of 0.1 to 100.
Multiply the two together. Add a $ sign. There's your answer, somewhere between One Cent and Ten thousand dollars.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
MANY THANKS...............ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS.....................
Post 9 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I had no idea what this was worth when I bought it, or what it is worth now. But I am happy to know I own a Kirby signature.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601329 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?