Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Strange Academy 1 Walmart13517

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
What was the cover book in the pack that yielded the variant ? Do you remember by chance? I know I recently got a few copies of Yondu 2, 1/25 store variants from packs, but nothing quite as limited as yours
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector jddtjd123 private msg quote post Address this user
It was the symbiote spiderman 1 with mysterio on it
Post 77 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Any one have a blue logo copy with a blue back instead of a gray back? I picked up 3 more and 2 have a blue back. I’m wondering if this is an error since the “academy” ribbon is blue instead of purple, but the red in marvel logo does not vary.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Good lord. Im so pissed that I can't hunt for these.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Good lord. Im so pissed that I can't hunt for these.
I’m happy to get you some. These 3 are 9.4/9.6 max if interested in a copy.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I would really love that and very much appreciate the offer. But shipping costs have been absolutely killing me. This border is never gonna open ever again I think.

And really, I'd just be happy with the possibility for hunting around. It's pretty ridiculous we don't see the same products at a frig'n Walmart.

Thanks tho!
Post 81 IP   flag post
I will check k mine out tomorrow and let you know I have alot of them
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I sent my blue lettered one off to CBCS. I will post it when it comes back.
Post 83 IP   flag post
I have 3 blue and 1 grey may have more need to look
Post 84 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Someone posted a blue variant CGC graded copy and it does not say 2nd print on the label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124535819049
Post 85 IP   flag post
I don't think any do, do they? The red one I got from Joosh didn't say it either.
Post 86 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The red I would imagine definitely would not. The blue to be honest I thought would be notated in some way to distinguish between the red because in my opinion it would be a later print.

Edit.

I am far from well versed in printings and such. I was just "assuming"
Post 87 IP   flag post
Ya me too. I'm cluless. I would like to pick up a 9.8 blue at some point tho.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Funny. I'm avoiding the blue. Hoping to find some more deals on red....
Post 89 IP   flag post
Makes you wonder if they even noticed or just missed it, or there is no reason they felt it necessary to differentiate the two
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
The red I would imagine definitely would not. The blue to be honest I thought would be notated in some way to distinguish between the red because in my opinion it would be a later print.

Edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Makes you wonder if they even noticed or just missed it, or there is no reason they felt it necessary to differentiate the two

This is where it gets unnecessarily complicated when picking at the details. The 1st Walmart red letter cover is a variation on the standard 4th print cover. The 2nd blue letter is printed about the time of the standard 5th print.

Technically the Walmart covers fall into an exclusive print run. They are printed by a different manufacturer and have no relation to the official print runs. You could reasonably deduce that the Blue is a 2nd print, but labeling as such could be confusing since there is an official 2nd print that has not printing relation to the Walmart prints. 🤓🥴
Post 91 IP   flag post
Well the next question is, how does CBCS view the 2 book?
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well the next question is, how does CBCS view the 2 book?
I would say only as “Walmart Edition” since that is the only given designation (the obvious answer). maybe one of them will chime in.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

Edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

This is where it gets unnecessarily complicated when picking at the details. The 1st Walmart red letter cover is a variation on the standard 4th print cover. The 2nd blue letter is printed about the time of the standard 5th print.

Technically the Walmart covers fall into an exclusive print run. They are printed by a different manufacturer and have no relation to the official print runs. You could reasonably deduce that the Blue is a 2nd print, but labeling as such could be confusing since there is an official 2nd print that has not printing relation to the Walmart prints. 🤓🥴

You can almost twist your mind into knots trying to sort this one out....the comparison between the walmart variants and whitmans seems most fitting at this point.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Funny. I'm avoiding the blue. Hoping to find some more deals on red....
This becomes the guessing game because we dont know for sure if the red was the lower print run or the blue, or which will eventually become most scarce, similar to cover price variants.
It might not become about which came first but about which came the most well stocked. I have seen it argued since the walmart superstores seemed to get the packs at two per , for superstores only and there are roughly 4,500 walmart super stores, that the print runs for these must be in the ballpark of 10 k each , which is a fairly low print run for a hotter book.
If the grading services and hobby fail to discern between the original red logo and the newer blue, that suggests a similar tact for the Spiderverse book with the first appearance of Spider Zero...a book that appears to have been produced in smaller quantities in all versions, originally, than say Strange Academy 1. Given the walmart variant is the characters first appearance AND more significant she appears on the cover, those books to my mind have a field of room to grow in as well, if this all holds up
Post 95 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’m guessing if the title color variations get enough attention CBCS will simply notate “blue” or “red” title Walmart variant. I know as a collector I want both. I now have both, just need to get “blue” out to CBCS when I have a slab pile accumulated.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Picked up 3 more. Looks like I’m hoarding these now.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Anyone have one of these? clickable text

Will trade
Post 98 IP   flag post
I have like 5 or 6 of those
Post 99 IP   flag post
If anyone gets an extra 9.8 cgc blue at some point, I'd probably be interested.
Post 100 IP   flag post
@Terry88 noted
Post 101 IP   flag post
<3
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
@jddtjd123 - I was at Walmart today and checked the variants and hoped I would see some Symbiote Spider-man #1's with a chance to get that sketch cover. There were two different color choices, but neither had the jackpot inside. The green logo shows printed in 2019 by Quad Graphics, the red printed by Fry Communications in 2020, and it has the silver back cover that says variant edition. I don't see anywhere in or on either book that would let anybody know that they are Walmart exclusives. Would it be the Land/D'Armata cover that distinguishs it from the many other versions?
Post 103 IP   flag post
The books them selves do not specify other than the manufacture. Quad, Fry, and one other company (can’t remember the name) are 3 that I know of that print Walmart exclusives. CPG designates them Walmart variants and will designate color changes as A, B, etc.
Post 104 IP   flag post
The one I got my sketch in was the red one
Post 105 IP   flag post
597875 129 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?