Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Strange Academy 1 Walmart13517

Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
Head. Spinning. Dizzy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
It's really crappy that we don't have access to the same stuff in Canada. Or at least I sure haven't seen them selling a comic book anywhere. And I LOVE hunting for stuff.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve looked at the indicia in both venom variants. Both have different publication dates AND manufacture(print) dates. officially indicating a 1st & 2nd print.

White trade dress: publication date - September 2020. Manufactured between 6/19/2020 & 6/29/2020. This print coincides with the standard 2nd printing.

Purple/blue trade dress: publication date - January 2021. Manufactured between 10/16/2020 & 10/26/2020. This print coincides with the standard 5th printing.

Both Walmart covers manufactured by Fry Communications.

Venom 25 with White trade dress

Venom 25 Purple/Blue trade dress

Post 28 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
^^I would assume this is true for any other Walmart variant ^^
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
It does create a rather large problem if correct.........................

Since these books are newstand copies basically they are bar coded. The final digit in the bar code has historically and always indicated the printing. The problem I see is that number is consistent for both versions of each of these books. That conflicts with how the bar code has worked for comics for the quite a few years

In the case of the two versions of Venom 25 the number is 7 for BOTH books. Not first nor second, nor 5th prints.

So while the publication data implies different printings, the bar coding does not support that information. Or it makes the apperance that despite being different printings, the coding is being done as the same one
Post 30 IP   flag post

These are all Walmart variants manufactured by Fry Communications (including Venom 25)

The barcodes seam to be nothing more than a title number specific to Fry. Best example is symbiote Spider-Man code ends 00140 , Black widow: Widows sting ends 00141.

This is where it gets interesting; this print of Widows sting predates the Spidey print a full month, but is higher numbered.

By title release; it’s Symbiote Spider-Man then Widows Sting and this shows regardless of print dates on these books Manufactured by Fry. So IMO this is just title count 🤷🏻‍♂️🥴

Post 31 IP   flag post
Bears noting, visit ebay and click on slabbed sales for some of these variants done by either CGC or CBCS...NONE of the slabs for the original releases suggest a printing, they are all identified as variants and not as 2nd , or higher prints.
While it is likely to early too find slabs for the new wave coming out, I would be highly skeptical any of them have printing numbers assigned to them when slabbed, though time will tell. (since the first wave did not either)
It is generally identified on the slab if a book isnt a first print to my understanding .
I also notice the variants you have there are missing quite a few that might deviate from your suggested theory....Spiderverse1, Thor 1, Strange Academy 1, etc.

I have read some discussion that suggests that since these books are only offered by walmart they would not be considered newstand editions, and would therefore likely not follow the bar code rules followed by newstands in the past. That would resolve that part of the argument at least...but does nothing to help with the major slabbing companies not identifying them as later prints
Post 32 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town there are definitely more pieces to the puzzle. I have more Walmart variants, but these are specifically by Fry. So I was comparing the apples at hand.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
@Darkseid_of_town there are definitely more pieces to the puzzle. I have more Walmart variants, but these are specifically by Fry. So I was comparing the apples at hand.

I quite agree, I appreciate your own efforts to resolve it all...I am just tossing out some of the things i have run into since I began trying to figure it all out myself. I imagine your answer might be the simplest, and the grading companies just lack the information currently to place them as secondary prints
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I found a Strange Acadamy #1 with the blue lettering earlier today on top of the 3 pack. Still need to open it and take a closer look. It appeared to be the only one out of about 15 different 3 packs.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm up here in Canada, when the border was open, we used to treck down to the States for a day trip and Wal Mart was always on the list to seek out these bundles....

With the recent re-print of Wal Mart exclusives, just had some questions....

Many collectors crapped all over Frankie's Exclusive Venom #5 for being 1st cover of Knull due to it being a store variant. Yet, many of these same collectors are going out and snagging the Wal Mart variants. The back covers branding indicates and falls in line that it's a store variant as opposed to a regular edition. So why aren't people treating these the same as store exclusives? It is by definition a store exclusive....I mean, is 1st cover appearance of Spider-Zero that people searched out at one time a store exclusive? Technically, yes (I have 2 copies, so I'm not questioning the collectability, just the rational)...

I think the recent re-printing of successful covers with changed ink scheme is a bit of a cash grab and dilutes what made them successful in the first place (just my opinion)...
Post 36 IP   flag post
These alternate colors are really just Malibu Stacy with a new hat. Those of us with OCD will need both, but a majority of us would be happy with one - regardless of color.

I think the colors are just distinction differences rather than indicating anything regarding print runs.

Interesting nonetheless.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Where in Walmart are you finding these things?

I looked but couldn’t find them at all.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

If your store carries them; They will be by the checkout with the playing cards (magic, Pokémon, Yugio, etc)
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

If your store carries them; They will be by the checkout with the playing cards (magic, Pokémon, Yugio, etc)

Ah! Thanks, sir!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:

Only the superwalmarts have them. Those are the stores offering both general merchandise like toasters and hardware as well as food.
As Hulksmash stated, they are generally placed in close proximity to the self checkout area at one end or other of the line of checkouts, along with trading cards, pokemon and trading card supplies.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
So I'm up here in Canada, when the border was open, we used to treck down to the States for a day trip and Wal Mart was always on the list to seek out these bundles....

With the recent re-print of Wal Mart exclusives, just had some questions....

Many collectors crapped all over Frankie's Exclusive Venom #5 for being 1st cover of Knull due to it being a store variant. Yet, many of these same collectors are going out and snagging the Wal Mart variants. The back covers branding indicates and falls in line that it's a store variant as opposed to a regular edition. So why aren't people treating these the same as store exclusives? It is by definition a store exclusive....I mean, is 1st cover appearance of Spider-Zero that people searched out at one time a store exclusive? Technically, yes (I have 2 copies, so I'm not questioning the collectability, just the rational)...

I think the recent re-printing of successful covers with changed ink scheme is a bit of a cash grab and dilutes what made them successful in the first place (just my opinion)...

I think you are right on track with the store variant thing for sure. The walmart versions are unlikely to be considered newstand versions because they are not returnable.
In the previous method, a store would buy the copies left for them to sell. Anything that did not sell was defaced or marked in some way and returned for a credit.
The sales model for walmart variants is that the vendor creates and maintains a display of the comics and restocks as required. Walmart sells the packs, and as they do, they pay the vendor for those items sold only...any unsold inventory is the vendors problem . So the walmart packs do not meet a key reequirement for being a newstand version and are more in line with store variants.
As for spider zero the original print run of the Walmart cover seemed very low, the book has her first appearance and her first cover as well so the demand justified the hype...now with more copies entering the market, albeit white logo instead of blue it will be interesting to see what is indicated on the slabs and how the market responds to it all.
As hulksmash suggested, it almost looks like the blue logo of that book was like a first print and the new wave are a new or second print run. The old days of using a barcode to determine the precise printing and where and what of these books is apparently useless now.
Now to watch the grading companies and see how or if they respond to these alternate versions
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
These alternate colors are really just Malibu Stacy with a new hat. Those of us with OCD will need both, but a majority of us would be happy with one - regardless of color.

I think the colors are just distinction differences rather than indicating anything regarding print runs.

Interesting nonetheless.
As hulksmash and I both did point out, there is another difference besides the logo color, and thats the first page, on printing and release dates being altered in the later versions. They dont directly state what printing it is directly but they do offer a print date a year later than the original in most cases.....which would seem to my thinking to be a seperate printing of the book...hard to see how a printing done a year later, with altered logo colors would be the same print run.
That being said, since this is a new concept and is apparently novel to the comic hobby, it will be interesting to see how it sorts...and if there is some logic to suggesting the are part of the original run
Post 43 IP   flag post
Just picked these up at Walmart this morning. DM me if interested.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Plot thickens..the original walmart version of Captain Marvel 1 had a bar code on the front cover, whereas the new wave does not
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
I did a sweep of the area Walmarts and found no shortage of these variant cover Marvels. I picked up all the Strange Academy's I found, two red and 6 blues. I also grabbed all of the Spider-verse available. Which of the other titles do you guys think I should get, the were lots of the two Black Widows, the two Venoms, Symbiote Spider-man, and Thor and Iron Man. Anything interesting about those?
Post 46 IP   flag post
For my money the Strange Academy, and Spider verse, as well as Venom 25 are books worth watching...the covers on the walmart versions are different than anywhere else, regardless what printing they are....

That Venom issue 25 is an homage to Amazing spiderman 300, is a black cover, and to my understanding introduces two characters....so thats the other one I am watching....

I also think there might be mileage to be had for the Artgerm captain marvel 1 cover...the original had a bar code on the front , the 2nd wave seems to be missing that bar code
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
For my money the Strange Academy, and Spider verse, as well as Venom 25 are books worth watching...the covers on the walmart versions are different than anywhere else, regardless what printing they are....

That Venom issue 25 is an homage to Amazing spiderman 300, is a black cover, and to my understanding introduces two characters....so thats the other one I am watching....

I also think there might be mileage to be had for the Artgerm captain marvel 1 cover...the original had a bar code on the front , the 2nd wave seems to be missing that bar code

Ditto; I’m also going to stash away Rise of Ultraman.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
All of the ones in this thread were in my local Wal-Mart this morning. I bought a pack of the Strange Academy 1.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector badgrandpa private msg quote post Address this user
I check my local walmart every few days, have yet to see any of these. I did pick up a DC bundle last night because I liked the Joker cover. According to GoCollect a couple of the books in the bundle could be valued at $20 or so. (a couple of Batman Vol 3 books)

I am probably going to go check again today
Post 50 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
The great thing about you guy on this forum is that no matter how convoluted the title colors are it will get figured out... and make me want to go find more books.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
@HulkSmash....I didn’t realize there were different colors. Let me know what color the one I sent you is please.

It is red sir. Thanks!!

Post 52 IP   flag post
My pleasure!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Jelly!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
The great thing about you guy on this forum is that no matter how convoluted the title colors are it will get figured out... and make me want to go find more books.
I like how this went from me looking to buy to its current craziness while still buying the book and continuing the craziness.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601455 129 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?