Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkMemorabilia

Comics Room WIP13515

Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All, finally getting the unfinished part of my basement converted to my comics room / mancave

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheLJ private msg quote post Address this user
A Comic Cellar like a wine cellar. Some guys like wine...comics are better
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to the finished room 👍
Post 3 IP   flag post
One of the challenges is once the room is done to get all my collectibles in it. Besides comics, got toys and 250+ shot glasses. Here’s a couple original art pages and the comics.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Lookin good! I need something about that size. The current cave is filled to capacity.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to find out this weekend how some of my comic art looks in one of these 11" x 17" sign holders. The outside of it is 13.37" x 19.36". If it turns out OK I'm going to buy 6 of them to put over the machines we have in our game room.

Looks like a quick and easy way for me to swap out different OA and get it out where people can look at it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know where you're located but beware of moisture seeping in!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Cool!

I’ll be curious to see the finished product.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Towmater Let me know how that works out. From the photo, it has a nice clean, elegant look. I am curious if the comic would stay in place.

@OGJackster Water damage is a whole debacle upon itself. Insurance wouldn't cover a drip. I already have a French drain around the perimeter and 2 sump pumps. I have the contractors reinforcing outside the walls and having it slightly slope to wick the water away from the house.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Towmater I had a custom frame made for the original art page of Spider-Women. It was placed between 2 plexiglass sheets and had clear rubber nubbins on each corner to hold it down. Besides the pressure of both plates, it still slipped down.

The reason I did this was Infantino had done the pencils on other side which was a totally different sketch, it was more of a close-up.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@jake I'll take a photo or 2 of it. I'll report back on any movement that the pages might have. If them move I was thinking a small amount of super glue along the bottom might seal the plexeglass together. That way I'll still be able to slide pages in at the top to change them out.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Towmater Thanks!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@jake Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the final product. Are you going to treat the cinder block foundation? My first house had them. I used Kilz over it and it definitely made a difference.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Wish I knew. The contractors added some waterproofing on the interior and added crushed rock, concrete, and a channel on the exterior. Looks like a dolled up bunker. Thanks for the tip!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I get so envious when I see these rooms. I love open space. As a bit of a claustrophobe I actually get giddy over the potential of an empty room. Open space is such a luxury...don't take it for granted. I have half my comic books on rafters in the garage. My wife remote teaches her college courses from the closet of the master bedroom.
I guess the tradeoff is that it's 75 degrees in the middle of December and I can't remember the last time I used an umbrella. I want to have a fire in the fireplace but I literally can't get the house cool enough for a fire.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Nice start on a dark cave. My wife has her art studio, nothing but windows, I have my rumpus room, dark, one north facing window, and lots of walls to hang comics I like in frames.
I suggest, no carpet. No reason, I just hate carpet.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller Yeah, open rooms are like open canvases, just waiting for us to add our own brushstrokes. I was entertaining the idea of just taking a picture of the finished empty room and end the photos / thread from there, so you all can fill in the blanks with your stuff.

@doog Yes, after the basement flooding, I am going with porcelain tile.

Speaking of studios, I would like to add a drafting table too. Been teaching the kids how to draw basic shapes, but I have to take it a step back or two. They have a grasp of static volume, but need more dynamic expression and form, so introducing them to gesture drawing and line contours. They admit that it's hard, as they squirm in their chairs, but they are getting better
Post 17 IP   flag post
Getting there.

Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@jake Awesome!!!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
I did a similar floor through my house and I get compliments on it every time some one sees it. Nice work! That is cool as hell. Big screen? Backlit collectibles? No popcorn machine with comics so close. Exciting progress
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks! Got the porcelain tile in case the basement leaks. Slim chance, but I don’t want to rip out the hardwood and do it all over again. Those tiles are deceivingly heavy. Whew!

Treated myself to an OLED 4K TV, but just missed getting an Xbox series X by 2 people in line before me. Doh! Got a lot on my plate, so I can wait until February. Cyberpunk 2077 takes a long time to load on the Xbox 1 though.

Will backlight the comics and shelves at some point. Not sure about putting it around the TV. Might detract from watching. Fun process!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
I got the porcelain too. You are right heavy as hell!
Post 22 IP   flag post
601274 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?