Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Board Rules about Political Posts: Please Read13511

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have known Ricketts and The_Watcher personally for years. Plus, I think I know a good deal about Jesse as well. Based on those relationships, I can safely say that one would literally have to work towards being banned from the forum. It isn't an easy task to accomplish without concerted effort.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson

Normally, I’d agree.

But there have been...irregularities.

Like I said, I’m just suggesting a review of the policy and process behind it.

I’m nobody and they don’t have to do what I say.


Edit: and look I don’t come here and complain about this at all, but I’ve been watching and noticing some areas where things are not consistent.

I’m not suggesting a conspiracy or malicious behavior. Just things can get out of whack.
Post 77 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I suppose moderation, like grading, can be subjective.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I suppose moderation, like grading, can be subjective.


Exactly. If I was there watching while they graded my book, it could get a higher grade because the grader might feel intimidated or want to make me happy or it could piss the grader off because I’m watching and I get a lower grade.

It’s just as likely that a lot of complaining about certain posts or posters could have a similar effect.

Could all be unconscious or non-existent. I just want to suggest we take a look.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Curious where this need for review was at suspension #1, #2 and #3 ?

Is this really a surprise to anyone? I'm not thrilled about his permanent ban regardless of the fact we didn't agree politically (even though we probably agreed on more than he knows). But are you saying you didn't see it coming? When you're at suspension #3 for the same cause wouldn't it be prudent to just avoid that topic completely? We are adults, we know the rules. We are given 3 opportunities to correct our behavior.
Post 80 IP   flag post


Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC

First this isn’t just about Ted.

I’ve been watching things for a few months and I’ve made some comments, but the last two seemed more tricky tacky than normal.

I’m not one to cry wolf, so I can only wait until I have enough evidence to suggest that this might need to be looked at.

And I’m not saying that he should be let back in or his actions ignored.

I’m only saying there have been some issues since this rule and now we have a years worth of data on it.

I’m just asking that we take a look.

Edit: and it was a controversial rule in reaction to a pandemic.

I never thought it was a well-fleshed out rule, but withheld judgement until I could see it in action.

I don’t think it needs abolished, but tweaked, maybe?
Post 81 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie The no politic rule has been in effect for 5 months or so. So a year hasn't gone by.

Also, looking over the moderation thread TedSaid was moderated for insulting a forum member (11-8-2020), for a troll baiting photo (1-11-2021), then the 2 political infractions (3-2-2021/5-2-2021). Moderation's actions on the above don't appear to be just over the political rule.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I’m just asking for consistency. It doesn’t appear consistent and I’m just asking they take a look.

I’d assume we would want to get this right, regardless if it’s a year or five months.

The guy below agreed with me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater


I think as long as the rule is a hard rule then people will stay away from it. When it gets ruled one way one time and another way another time is when people begin to question what is and what isn't OK.

Over on the CGC Boards they tend to let things slide a great deal if political comments lean one way over another. That isn't right and reveals poor moderation. There is an entire thread over there that shouldn't exist under their rules but for some unknown reason the moderation allows it to continue.
Post 83 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
I’m just asking for consistency. It doesn’t appear consistent and I’m just asking they take a look.

I’d assume we would want to get this right, regardless if it’s a year or five months.

The guy below agreed with me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater


I think as long as the rule is a hard rule then people will stay away from it. When it gets ruled one way one time and another way another time is when people begin to question what is and what isn't OK.

Over on the CGC Boards they tend to let things slide a great deal if political comments lean one way over another. That isn't right and reveals poor moderation. There is an entire thread over there that shouldn't exist under their rules but for some unknown reason the moderation allows it to continue.


That's funny. You took something and bent it to what you sought to state.

Tedsaid appears to have been moderated for different rules that were broken. That doesn't appear to be aimed at whatever his political leanings might have been or are. He got moderated for breaking rules. They are posted. I've been moderated. Did I always agree with them? Nope, but I didn't keep traveling down that road. I modified my posts, and my responses. I learned to not touch the 3 rail repeatedly.

I have to echo @GAC - One might want to toe the line for awhile when the next infraction can lead to one's banishment.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie - As I mentioned to a fellow forum member who reached out to me, because he/she felt adversely to my suspension a few weeks back, rules are rules and this is CBCS's sandbox.

I love this forum because it is not like facebook and cgc forum. I think that is what CBCS and the Mods are trying to maintain regardless of their proclivities.

While one can hope that rules are carried out and interpreted fairly, I think that @DrWatson has it right Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I suppose moderation, like grading, can be subjective.
But, again, we are guests in this sandbox and need to respect the rules.

Cheers to you @Jabberwookie @GAC @Towmater @DrWatson for having this discussion without getting personal.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator

I totally get it and I don’t disagree.

However, there was a lot hand-wringing over inconsistency of enforcement in the beginning, a d to put it charitably, some people have done 180 on their stance.

Why? Because they disagree with people politically! That’s just silly and their evidence of it everywhere.

And you’re right, it CBCS and their rules. But I think we have an expectation the rules be applied evenly.

If Ted or anyone posts something that could be considered political to some of our less tolerant members, then Jessie gets 5-6 messages saying it’s political.

Maybe it is?

Maybe it appears it is because of a very vocal minority.

I’ve definitely noticed several differences and our mods are human.

I’m only saying it needs to be looked at.

Checks and balances are as American as apple pie.

This is possibly the least controversial thing I could ask for.

That’s all I’ve stated from the beginning and a lot people agreed with me when they were afraid THEY would be silenced.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Political opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one, and nobody cares about it. Period
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe the lesson to be learned is to choose your words more carefully? There is a way to get your point across, whatever it may be, without being insulting, inviting conflict or being blatantly political (which in today’s world seems to amount to the first two). Just a thought.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
And in other news, Scifinator is now brought to you in 4k High Definition. Thank you To @KatKomics for the upgrade.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Also, I'd add....don't allow yourself to be provoked....like in the game of hockey, 9 times out of 10, it's the retaliation that lands you in the penalty box.
Post 90 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie


If Ted or anyone posts something that could be considered political to some of our less tolerant members, then Jessie gets 5-6 messages saying it’s political.



So, how do you know this to be the case? Has Jessie or someone else associated with CBCS informed you of this?
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Also, I'd add....don't allow yourself to be provoked....like in the game of hockey, 9 times out of 10, it's the retaliation that lands you in the penalty box.


Leave it to the Canadian to make a hockey analogy lol!

But to your analogy, if the coach keeps harping on the refs about icing or interference, it is possible to get that on the refs radar when it’s not actually any worse than what the other team is doing.

That’s my issue. I’m not arguing for politics like the straw man that’s getting set up for a few people or even arguing that Ted should come back.

I’m just asking the powers that be to look over past decisions and see if they are consistent.

Those hockey refs get reviewed.

I think CBCS is run by good people and I’m just suggesting a review of the process, which I trust they’ll do with integrity.

That’s all I’ve asked from the beginning.

I like to remain pretty consistent in my values.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie All cool brother and I get that's what you're advocating! No one would fault a review of a policy and ensure consistency. 🍻
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

Are you a mod?

Why are you so concerned with my request to the mods?

It doesn’t affect you at all if you’re following the rules, so why keep badgering me about something that has zero effect on you?
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie @GAC - Dude's I almost made the King/Ducks - Toronto/Montreal - Islanders/Rangers analogy.

And even though Hockey is still the coolest game on earth, I didn't as I did not want to trigger any Football, Baseball, or Curling fans.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC @Scifinator

All good guys. And as impressive as it for a Texan to know hockey, I can assure you that what I just said is all I know about hockey...lol!

You start asking me to define icing and I’ll run for cover!
Post 96 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie Because you stated something in your post as a fact. It implies that you have been told by either Jesse or someone else associated with CBCS that...Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
If Ted or anyone posts something that could be considered political to some of our less tolerant members, then Jessie gets 5-6 messages saying it’s political.


I'm pretty sure based upon a comment made by Jessie in a thread that he views his PM's as private. So, I do not believe he would share that information if what you stated it was happening or if that did happen. That's why I asked.

No, I'm not a mod. I think it is very safe to say that I will never be one either.

You didn't answer my question though. You deflected it.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

So, you’re not a mod?

Then you and I really don’t have anything to talk about.

My request was for the mods.

Have a good one!
Post 98 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I gonna go with it that wasn't shared by Jessie or anyone else associated with CBCS. Kind of what I thought.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

No, it’s more I’m no longer engaging with a troll.

So, take a hint...


Put another way: that’s need to know information, and you don’t need to know.

I guess since jumping to conclusions is in vogue, you must have a guilty conscience since you’re so invested in this.
Post 100 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user



and the first edit and second edit/accusation too
Post 101 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
If Ted or anyone posts something that could be considered political to some of our less tolerant members, then Jessie gets 5-6 messages saying it’s political.


@Jabberwookie Snitching (reporting posts) should be an automatic one day suspension and a public pantsing.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
If Ted or anyone posts something that could be considered political to some of our less tolerant members, then Jessie gets 5-6 messages saying it’s political.


@Jabberwookie Snitching (reporting posts) should be an automatic one day suspension and a public pantsing.



Post 103 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
If Ted or anyone posts something that could be considered political to some of our less tolerant members, then Jessie gets 5-6 messages saying it’s political.


@Jabberwookie Snitching (reporting posts) should be an automatic one day suspension and a public pantsing.

That, and I'm wiling to bet that regardless of other forum member's opinions, Jesse and any other moderators, are competent enough to judge a post's political-ness based on its own merit in spite of how many notifications they might receive.

That being said, if a post is in any way political, then just don't post it or create an outside link to it. It's that simple. You know, when I was little, my cousin talked me into peeing on an electric fence. After that, I didn't pee on three other fences to see if the same thing would happen. Lesson learned the first time.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson it’s not about competence or incompetence; it’s just human nature.

If a poster posts something perceived as political and they send a PM to Jessie, it’s already framed as an issue.

If two or three people do it then the moderator might already have enough of a bias to do something.

We see that happen in sports, the media, everywhere.

One side cries no fair, and whatever governing authority moderates their behavior in favor of the complainer.

Unless the mods are reading every post, then they are operating off complaints.

I’m not saying the folks here are bad, incompetent or malicious. I’m saying their human and just suggesting some recalibration.

Trying to make boards better isn’t a bad or hostile thing.

And, if we want to make this around one-person, it doesn’t really matter about that person.

If I were running things, I wouldn’t let him back unless there were really serious errors.

It would set a bad precedent that complaining gets results.
Post 105 IP   flag post
418623 108 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.