Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Board Rules about Political Posts: Please Read13511

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The reality is it doesn't work that way on a text based forum and Moderation is left to deal with the mess. If everyone conducted themselves the way they're supposed to then there would be no need for any rules at all.

It's simply easier and less messy to ban the topic. It's not like they're saying "no discussions about the Hulk"...this is a comics forum...I think we'd all challenge that rule.

No politics makes perfect sense (seeing how divisive its become) on a forum that has nothing to do with politics.

I'm in a place to discuss and learn about comics. It's like smoking to me. Does the right of the smoker supercede the right of the diner in a resturant? I went to a diner for a meal not emphysema. I know each thread can be considered a "smoking section" or "smoke free" environment but usually what happens is the political post derails an entire thread and it gets locked...no more talk about that topic.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

Let me repeat that; Going forward, political posts will not be allowed on the CBCS Forum.

For anyone who wants to test the gray area, please don't. If you type something that makes you pause a second before you hit the Reply button because you wonder if you should post that...you probably shouldn't post that.

Talk comics, have fun, make jokes, entertain each other, show us what you bought today. If you want to argue the "facts" about your political leanings with a complete stranger who will not see your point of view, the internet has places to do that. I assure you, that place is not here.

Exactly
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid

I think you and I are on the same page.

I’ve always viewed Facebook that way. It’s my page and I can post what I want.

If someone doesn’t like it, they can ignore it or post on their own page. The issue is there are a lot of people who are incapable of doing that, but also don’t want you doing the same to them.

It is a little disheartening because we are supposed to be adults but not everyone has matured, I guess.

It’s like having a Vote Kang sign in your yard and people ringing your doorbell only to tell you that you’re stupid and should vote Kodos.

Not everything needs someone’s opinion attached to it.

It’s a nuance thing and tough to moderate, but I think reasonable adults see the lines and the gray and they are comfortable with it.

The unreasonable ones will have to tilt at other windmills, I suppose.

As always, I do enjoy your opinions, though.

You are one of the good ones!
Post 53 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The reality it doesn't work that way on a text based forum and Moderation is left to deal with the mess. If everyone conducted themselves the way they're supposed to then there would be no need for any rules at all...No politics makes perfect sense (seeing how divisive its become) on a forum that has nothing to do with politics.

It does make sense and noting that strikes haven't been generated in roughly a month maybe it should tell us all something like a ...

politics rule is a VERY GOOD thing!
Post 55 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Tedsaid

I think you and I are on the same page.

I’ve always viewed Facebook that way. It’s my page and I can post what I want.

If someone doesn’t like it, they can ignore it or post on their own page. The issue is there are a lot of people who are incapable of doing that, but also don’t want you doing the same to them.

It is a little disheartening because we are supposed to be adults but not everyone has matured, I guess.

It’s like having a Vote Kang sign in your yard and people ringing your doorbell only to tell you that you’re stupid and should vote Kodos.

Not everything needs someone’s opinion attached to it.

It’s a nuance thing and tough to moderate, but I think reasonable adults see the lines and the gray and they are comfortable with it.

The unreasonable ones will have to tilt at other windmills, I suppose.

As always, I do enjoy your opinions, though.

You are one of the good ones!

Thanks bud! Right back at ya. And Happy Holidays to you! From some guys that don't have to worry about this sh*t any more

Post 56 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Comic books are more fun than politics!

Steve Borock for President!

Oops.... Is that political??

I meant President of CBCS

I nominate @SteveRicketts to the post of Secretary of Defense Against W.R.R. (W.R.R. = Wrinkles, Rippling, & Rolls).
Post 57 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a little tip I learned about debating with people on the forum: Even when you disagree, if you upvote their comments while you argue with them it really helps to keep the debate from becoming personal and uncivil.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Here's a little tip I learned about debating with people on the forum: Even when you disagree, if you upvote their comments while you argue with them it really helps to keep the debate from becoming personal and uncivil.

That is very true. That's why I never do it. (j/k)
Post 59 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Nonsense!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:

That’s not a bad idea! It would nice for votes to be used for good rather evil.

I’d take it a step further and just say people should use votes for good observations or points rather than liking the person.

I see it here often and I know it’s worse elsewhere. Someone makes a good point, but isn’t well-liked or said something that didn’t fit with someone else’s ideology and they won’t like anything that person said.

Which is just tribal and pointless. You really can’t judge a person by a few posts and their online persona, which is very different for a lot of people.

I’ve got my issues with some posters, but a good point is a good point. I’ll upvote a good point anytime.

We should all take things a lot less personally then we would not have blanket rules like this one.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, after a few people have voiced their concerns, the moderation and admin team have talked this over.

First off, single words or acronyms, such as "sjw" and "agenda" are NOT, in and of themselves, worthy of moderation. You can even mention Trump or Biden if you can find a way to mention them that is not argumentative. For instance, "I met President Trump." would not be a political statement. If it triggers you, act like an adult and go to Facebook to bitch about it!!

Topics that can be political in nature (like war, sexual orientation, taxes, guns, etc) do not NEED to be political in nature. As a general rule, we are NOT going to ban comics that show these things. Having said that, we do reserve the right to act on truly offensive covers, which is at our discretion. If you feel something crosses the line, don't share it here. If you are offended by a cover, report it.

Basically, what we want to do is to stop contentious, argumentative, political debates. It serves no purpose here. We are a comic book centered forum. Let's reserve our debating skills for cameos, first appearances, flipping, speculation, movies and tv shows.

We are going to be enforcing the spirit of this rule. If you are more of a "literal definition" person, you are probably going to see things that are inconsistent to you.

One final note to stress, if you find something offensive, report it. If something triggers you, don't respond to it. Either move on, report it, or pm a mod to discuss it. Don't escalate the situation. In football, it is often the person responding that gets the penalty. Why? Because a lot of times, the original incident didn't cross any lines. Of course, the person who got the foul doesn't see it that way, but that's the way the rules read. It's a valuable lesson to learn. Don't get penalized for reacting. There are checks, rules and regulations in place to address things, use them.
Post 62 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

If one reports something how long do we wait until it is understood that the "offending" post is considered to be OK under the "spirit" of the rule to moderation? I ask as it then becomes fair game to be responded to in a similar fashion?

Do we wait 12, 24, 36 hours?
Post 63 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater during the week, we usually respond in a few hours max. During the weekend or holidays, it can take longer due to the other mods and Ricketts having a personal life. If something is a clear violation, I will take action immediately when I see it. If something gets deleted, and there is no comment made publicly or sent privately, odds are good that I'm waiting to hear back from other members of the mod/admin team.

If a report is acted on, like a comment being deleted, we usually don't respond back to the one who reported because we figure they will notice that action is taken. If no action is taken, we try to let the person who reported it know why. Sometimes, that doesn't happen, but not by design. We should respond back if no action is taken.

When new rules are put in place, people tend to push them and question them. New situations pop up, ones we did not consider. Until we have a good feel for things, some things will take longer to respond to. Plus, like I said, if it's the weekend, it can be a while, even a day or two. Perhaps even until the next business day.

I hope that answers your question.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
You may also want to post mod work hours, toilet/lunch breaks, RDO's, vacation schedules, and any appointments you may have. Of course, this is all subject to change due to people having a personal life.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Rules...
Post 66 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

I appreciate the response. BTW, who are the mods? Is there a list somewhere of who they are?

(The reasons behind the question and seeking clarifiction possible was missed by another/others? Personally, I'd rather ask a question seeking an answer than run afoul of a new rule. I guess that is just me. No skin off my back though for asking).
Post 67 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I appreciate the response. BTW, who are the mods? Is there a list somewhere of who they are?

@Towmater Best I understand they are Watcher, Jesse_o and Steve Rickets? Although maybe just Jesse_O and Watcher are mods.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts
Post 69 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Is racist rhetoric also considered political or is it just plain stupidity?
Post 70 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I'm gonna say plain stupidity.
Post 71 IP   flag post
While I agree with this rule, I think maybe now is a good time to review the application of enforcement of the rule.

There definitely seem to be some inconsistencies in the enforcement of it.

I really enjoy this board and hate seeing long time forum members booted just mentioning names of political figures.

And, right now, that is my perception of it.

Could I be wrong? Of course, but I don’t think a review would be a bad idea.

Edit: this not meant as a knock on our mods. They have a tough job and can only enforce the rules as laid out.

I just think after a year of this rule, some review might be beneficial to ensure errors are not made.
Post 72 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure there are two sides to the story. I sincerely doubt it was, "Oh, you posted about politics four times in a year. You're banned." There was probably back and forth that we weren't privy to witnessing. You never know how someone else behaves when they think no one else can see them. It's like they say, character is how you behave when you think no one else is watching.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Also, the thread was scrubbed or edited. So, making Monday morning quarterback call on what occurred and why isn't possible. One has to rely on the past actions of moderation here on the forum and move forward.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I'm sure there are two sides to the story. I sincerely doubt it was, "Oh, you posted about politics four times in a year. You're banned." There was probably back and forth that we weren't privy to witnessing. You never know how someone else behaves when they think no one else can see them. It's like they say, character is how you behave when you think no one else is watching.

This is a fair point, but I’ve also seen plenty of the posts prior to scrubbing.

There’s definitely an element of “squeaky wheels” driving the process, which on its face means it’s not a particularly equitable process.

Edit: and there have been inconsistencies from the beginning. Why a Rush Limbaugh post stands, SJW, and Woke are used but just mentioning some facts gets a warning show this discrepancy.

Asking to review because the system is not working as intended, I don’t feel is out of line.
Post 75 IP   flag post
I have known Ricketts and The_Watcher personally for years. Plus, I think I know a good deal about Jesse as well. Based on those relationships, I can safely say that one would literally have to work towards being banned from the forum. It isn't an easy task to accomplish without concerted effort.
Post 76 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Normally, I’d agree.

But there have been...irregularities.

Like I said, I’m just suggesting a review of the policy and process behind it.

I’m nobody and they don’t have to do what I say.

Edit: and look I don’t come here and complain about this at all, but I’ve been watching and noticing some areas where things are not consistent.

I’m not suggesting a conspiracy or malicious behavior. Just things can get out of whack.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I suppose moderation, like grading, can be subjective.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I suppose moderation, like grading, can be subjective.

Exactly. If I was there watching while they graded my book, it could get a higher grade because the grader might feel intimidated or want to make me happy or it could piss the grader off because I’m watching and I get a lower grade.

It’s just as likely that a lot of complaining about certain posts or posters could have a similar effect.

Could all be unconscious or non-existent. I just want to suggest we take a look.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Curious where this need for review was at suspension #1, #2 and #3 ?

Is this really a surprise to anyone? I'm not thrilled about his permanent ban regardless of the fact we didn't agree politically (even though we probably agreed on more than he knows). But are you saying you didn't see it coming? When you're at suspension #3 for the same cause wouldn't it be prudent to just avoid that topic completely? We are adults, we know the rules. We are given 3 opportunities to correct our behavior.
Post 80 IP   flag post
597868 108 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.