Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Just wanted to know how rare they are. Found one today in a 70s gold key I own.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector manfred_spain private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty rare. Probably 1 in 10 newsstand editions have the insert during the 30-year period they ran.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased a Marvel Two-In-One lot some years ago that had around 13 of them in the bunch. I'm guessing they originally belonged to ex-military.
Post 3 IP   flag post
They were included in newsstand copies sold at the PX stores on military bases. So if you get a lot from someone ex-military, you can hit a jackpot.

I went into a store near a base once, just after they had purchased a collection from someone ex-military. I spent hours going through the whole thing to find a couple hundred various Spider-Man issues with the insert. This was back before they were really known too well, so no markup for them either. That was a fun day!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Supernatural Thrillers #10 that I bought from a store in Utah that has one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Rare in a sense; not every issue and not every series contained MJ inserts.

This article has very good information.
clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Like @manfred_spain said they were found around military bases. They are hard to find in high grade and some people pay a premium.

As a kid I used to rip these out, if I knew what I know now.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
I remember tearing them out of my books as a kid reader. I thought they were annoying. Little did I know...
Not as bad i guess as coloring the Silver Surfer on my old FF #48 or silly puddying cool pictures in my Werewolf by Night #1. Greasy...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
I remember tearing them out of my books as a kid reader. I thought they were annoying. Little did I know...

Just curious, if a Mark Jewler insert were removed, could it pass grading as a normal copy of the book? Has anyone ever seen a slab note of "Mark Jewler insert removed"? Would that make it incomplete?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude

Just curious, if a Mark Jewler insert were removed, could it pass grading as a normal copy of the book? Has anyone ever seen a slab note of "Mark Jewler insert removed"? Would that make it incomplete?

There is no way tell it’s a MJ without the actual insert.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I still fail to understand why the insert copy has any enhanced value at all. It's just an ad. It does nothing to improve the comic, make it "special", etc. It's not like it's a variant cover, different artwork, or a special edition.

An insert being MISSING when it should be there, that's a different story (like Tattooz). You don't have the comic as it was originally presented or sold. Many were removed, so those remaining intact are harder to find. But even then, I would only put a small premium on it.

But just because it has a meaningless ad insert, it's valuable. I don't get that. But there are a lot of things I don't get. And I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that.

People vote with their wallet, and these comics do get more $$$. The people have spoken!
Post 11 IP   flag post
The perceived value is likely derived from the fact it was purposely produced (insert added in the production process) to be distributed to a unique and limited audience.

I know that once I learned about them, I immediately ignored them. Like you, it was an ad and ads don't count. But as I completed my regular Spidey collection and still wanted to collect, these were the perfect option. And I have to say, it is absolutely thrilling to be at a store or show and find an issue I don't have yet. You genuinely have to hunt to find these, and that is fun.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Several years ago when Power Man & Iron Fist started to heat up, I found 4 copies of PM #48 in a box under the table of a small Oregon Coast shop- When I brought them home 2 of them turned out to be MJI's.

Like double covers and errors- sometimes they just fall in your lap.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@chester15 I’d never put a premium on an MJ, but it is fun to look for them. My first was accidental; my second was a hunt. It’s just something to do that is not key related.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Using the address in the Mark Jeweler ad, this is the headquarters building today, about an hour from me. I bet those real estate agents have no idea how much comic book history is housed in that building.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
I still fail to understand why the insert copy has any enhanced value at all. It's just an ad. It does nothing to improve the comic, make it "special", etc. It's not like it's a variant cover, different artwork, or a special edition.

In the sense that comic books become historical artifacts I can understand it. Little differentiations that strengthen the tether to history have appeal. In The Man In The High Castle they call this characteristic "historocity". Where a very old hunting knife might be worth $100, the same knife thought to be owned by Daniel Boone might be worth $100,000. The difference in value is a quantification of the extreme level of Historocity contained by the knife. Mark Jeweler insert comics contain a tiny bit of Historocity that could grow in appeal over the years.
Post 16 IP   flag post
603787 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?