Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Anyone Use the Canadian Distribution Centre?13449

I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Hi folks, I'm posting on these boards for the first time, and I'd like to ask the following questions about the Canadian distributor when shipping comics to CBCS.

1. Any fellow Canadians here (in particular, from Nova Scotia) use the distribution centre in Ontario?

2. If yes, how was your experience overall?

3. If you sell your books after getting them graded, what is the minimum value of the book you submit to make it worthwhile?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@MurrayC Hey there and welcome to the forum!

Here are answers to your questions from my perspective.

1. Yes, but I'm in Ottawa Ontario.

2. The experience is very good but the boarder closure impacts turn around times. Communication can be challenging as well. It's cheaper to ship to Oakville than Texas so some of the challenges I can live with.

3. I don't sell books but for me to spend on shipping, grading and possibly pressing, the minimum value of comic to send is $150. I have sent books that value less but that's usually because I have personal attachment to the book.

I hope this helps.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @MurrayC
I am very similar to @GAC

1. Yes, but I'm in Grimsby Ontario (but went to University of Ottawa!!)

2. So far so good - but yes the boarder closure has impacted turn around very poorly.

3. I also don't sell/flip...if I were I would try the fast press and fast pass options.

as far as minimum value it all depends what you have into the book. if press and grade is $50ish then I would say $100 FMV..maybe...because if you could sell it raw for any more than $50 you would come out ahead.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@MurrayC Definitely check out the Newbie’s Guide. It is slightly out of date but it is still very useful for newcomers. There’s a section on using the Canadian service.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@MurrayC I will also add, CBCS grading is the best in the industry in my opinion. Consistent, fair and strict adherence to the grading scale.

CBCS cases/slabs are by far the best in the industry. It's not even close really. Their cases are superior in every aspect by leaps and bounds to the other guys. They're crystal clear, correctly rigid, esthetically pleasing in every way.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for your help, everyone.

With regard to what the minimum value a book is to bother getting graded would depend on what I paid for it. For example, I have a Star Wars #42 that I only paid $0.50 for, and even after grading and shipping costs, I can still make a tidy profit given a 9.2 is currently going for $300

To make the shipping costs worthwhile, let me ask what's the minimum number of books you send to CBCS?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@MurrayC I try to ship in multiples of 5....if I remember correctly on the old paper version it was every 5 that a new rate kicked in. So if you were going to send 6 books it would be the same shipping as if you sent 10...so I would try and send in 10 instead...like wise if I had 11 or 12 books I might drop 1 or 2 off

of course in the before times...I would hand them off at a convention to save at least on shipping in one direction!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Man....always get nervous even though the tracking says the package was received until I get the notification the books are in the system!! only been about 2 weeks but come on fellas!! I want that e-mail!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@KatKomics - Here's a question for you...

How do you package your comics when to ship to the Ontario outlet?

Meaning... they first get shipped to the Ontario outlet, and then they get shipped to CBCS. So HOW do you package and address the package?

Here is what I am visualizing...

First, you pack your comics c/w submission form into a sturdy box addressed to CBCS.

Then, you put that package in ANOTHER box addressed to the distributor in Ontario.

I assume the folks in Ontario open the package addressed to them, see there's another packaged addressed to CBCS, and put it in the "to go to CBCS pile"?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@MurrayC I know you didn't address this question to me but to answer, I don't do it that way.

I pack my comics up and include a copy of the submission form. I package my books up securely and boxed with only one address, the CBCS Oakville address.

I don't believe CBCS Canada opens the boxes. I believe they forward (when they've hit a certain quota) all the packages to Texas. In Texas is where they confirm the accuracy of the submission form to what's in the box.

This is my understanding of how it works.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to know how @KatKomics does it when sending to CBCS Canada.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@MurrayC I know you didn't address this question to me but to answer, I don't do it that way.

I pack my comics up and include a copy of the submission form. I package my books up securely and boxed with only one address, the CBCS Oakville address.

I don't believe CBCS Canada opens the boxes. I believe they forward (when they've hit a certain quota) all the packages to Texas. In Texas is where they confirm the accuracy of the submission form to what's in the box.

This is my understanding of how it works.

@MurrayC yup - @GAC has it right. I just pack really well in 1 box addressed to CBCS Canada with a copy of my submission form - almost 100% sure they just collect until they have a pallet or tote or best container name ever...a gaylord full of submissions and send those CBCS head office
I know I'm in my mid 40's but when I found out the name for large cardboard shipping boxes my inner 12yr old came to life and I just love it!!!!

ps....really just google gaylord box this is what comes up.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@KatKomics lol!!!!!!! 🍻
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
I use it but if you are in a hurry, I've noticed you can't select fast press. Hence, my latest shipment is going directly to Dallas.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@GAC and @KatKomics

Thank you, so much!

I have another question if you don't mind. Do you have a sample of the Canadian submission form all filled out? I'm curious to see how that looks as well.

thanks again!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@MurrayC it's all just on-line but this is what it looks like on your dashboard and the actual invoice

Though the process the invoice tends to show the status updates more than the dash but they have gotten better at sending e-mails when a status changes.

I know the invoice shows Dallas Texas but that updated after they took payment..before that it showed the Oakville mailing info (like 85? sure on that - never really paid attention!!)

Dash

Invoice

Post 16 IP   flag post
***I FINALLY DID IT***

I bit the bullet and finally sent ten books this past Friday (Feb 5é21) to CBCS Canada.

Not going to lie, I'm stressed!

I cleaned and pressed my comics (5 Star Wars and 5 Ninja Turtles), packaged them up with the submission form, and sent them off to the Oakville destination in a flat rate trackable box from Canada Post.

I HOPE I pressed my comics ok

I HOPE I packaged them ok (bagged, boarded, between heavy cardboard, inserted in a magazine bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, filled with Styrofoam peanuts, and placed in a heavy flat-rate Canada Post box)

I HOPE the distributor sends the books to CBCS

I HOPE they arrive to CBCS in one piece

I HOPE the books get great grades (didn't bother with any prescreening)

FINGERS CROSSED

See you in 8 - 12 weeks!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
See you in 8 - 12 weeks!

haha, priceless...

This wont be quick. And be sure to let us know what you end up with. Good luck on the grades!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Not going to lie, I'm stressed!

Yeah, it's a little bit like waiting for a baby to be delivered. Especially when you are looking for very high grades and you know that every little mistake could cost half the value.
Post 19 IP   flag post
So, on average, how long does it take from the day to ship out your books before you see them in your dashboard?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
For shipping, I found going nuclear the smart way to go.

I put my books all together in a box thats snug, with a small layer of bubblewrap. I then put that box into another box, after wrapping it in bubble wrap too.

CGC has great shipping boxes for this, see if you can take some from a store. I'm about to ship 60 Frank Miller books, and Im pretty confident they'll get there safe.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
So, on average, how long does it take from the day to ship out your books before you see them in your dashboard?

I just send an order that tacking says was received yesterday...I'll let you know!

I think my last one took almost a full month - apparently they don't change to received until they are physically at CBCS Dallas and then there may be delays on making it into the system depending on volume of orders
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
For shipping, I found going nuclear the smart way to go.

I put my books all together in a box thats snug, with a small layer of bubblewrap. I then put that box into another box, after wrapping it in bubble wrap too.

CGC has great shipping boxes for this, see if you can take some from a store. I'm about to ship 60 Frank Miller books, and Im pretty confident they'll get there safe.

I did something similar:
1. Every comic is bagged and boarded using Silver Age sized
2. I stacked ten books alternating them front to back
3. Placed the stack between two sheets of corrugated cardboard
4. Wrapped the stack with layers upon layers of bubblewrap
5. Filled the bottom of the Canada Post Flat Rate box with Styrofoam peanuts.
6. Slid the stack into the box, and filled the sides and top to Styrofoam peanuts.

And I literally got a message saying the package arrived at CBCS in Oakville as I was typing this reply
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

I just send an order that tacking says was received yesterday...I'll let you know!

I think my last one took almost a full month - apparently they don't change to received until they are physically at CBCS Dallas and then there may be delays on making it into the system depending on volume of orders

Phase 1 is complete where it took 7 days for my books to go from Nova Scotia to Oakville.

One week down, SEVEN-ish weeks to go.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88

This wont be quick. And be sure to let us know what you end up with. Good luck on the grades!

I'm HOPING for great grades because I started cleaning and pressing the comics myself, and I've been happy with the results.

Of course, when I take the comic out of the press, it looks FLAWLESS because I'm looking at them with "rose-colored glasses", and when I was packing them up, all I could see were FLAWS.

I would LOVE to have all 9.8's (nothin' but net), but I will be very happy with 9.4-9.6's
Post 25 IP   flag post
Just got notified that my books have arrived at CBCS.

Literally a month has passed since dropping the books off at Canada Post (Feb 4th) to when they got into CBCS's hands for processing (Mar 4th)
Post 26 IP   flag post
597906 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?