Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Selling on MCS - any tips?13447

Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@Redmisty4me I've gone the MCS route as I don't want to have to deal with buyers and shipping and any possible disputes etc.etc. MCS does list on ebay but you would silly to buy from ebay..if you go to the MCS site the same books are listed there but cheaper!! As a seller the fees are less than ebay and paypal they take the pictures and list the books and now you have more eyes on your book as people search the MCS site and the ebay exposure (again...would assume no one buys from ebay when you can save $$ buying direct from MCS!)

I've always wondered why their eBay prices are so high...

Thanks for the extra info.!

I don't think it works for me, but sounds like it's working for a lot of other folks.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
I'm not sure if this is the same MCS that operates on eBay, but I can't say that any of it makes any sense to me.

Maybe it's a place to sell modern slabs (?), but I can't see any advantage over eBay, and numerous problems and pitfalls.

Good luck to any that it makes sense for!

@Redmisty4me although my forum name is @EbaySeller, I've actually closed my Ebay store and moved all of my sales to MCS. It's not so great for raw books because of their tight grading but for slabs the convenience is unbeatable. I ship 15-20 slabs at a time to them and they do the rest. The consignment fee is probably actually a little bit less than my total cost through Ebay and the workload drops to near zero. No scanning and listing, no packing and shipping. I don't have to pack a slab in a $15 flat rate box and hope it gets to the destination undamaged. They can combine my sold slab with the buyers other purchases and often ship for as little as $6...paid for by the buyer. The prices I can get selling there are in line with what I would expect on Ebay. And at any time I can move a book from BIN to their weekly auction...but I don't do that very often.

Just looked up my stats: My first MCS sale was Nov 2019, I've sold 59 slabs there and 13 remain unsold. Mostly Silver and Bronze, some modern.

Thank you for the additional info.!

I totally see how this would work for quantities of slabbed books, but I sell maybe 2-3 of those a year, and really want the greater control over my listings & sales that eBay offers, and don't mind the extra cost/work I expend in return.

MCS is clearly a good option for some, though not for my niche; I've only had one book restored, and never slabbed anything, though I've cracked a few open because lacking x-ray vision, I cannot read the comic through the plastic!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
MCS accepted my submission to consign 20 raw books. I have them packed and will ship tomorrow assuming Christmas Eve is not a busy day at the post office. My LCS offered me $300 in TRADE CREDIT for these books. If I can sell them through MCS consignment for $700 and net $600 I will consider it a pretty big success. I plan to reduce price every 10 days until they sell. Hope to have everything sold in 60 days. Will try to keep you all updated.
Below is the grade I assigned, I assume the MCS grades will be lower:

Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 36 GD/VG
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 62 FN/VF
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 136 FN
Batman (1940) 368 NM
Brave and the Bold (1955 1st Series DC) 85 FN-
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 101 FN/VF
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 118 VF-
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 81 VF/NM
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 131 VG+
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 168 VG+
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 181 VF/NM
DC Comics Presents (1978 DC) 47A VG/FN
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 2 FN
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 4 FN+
Marvel Spotlight (1971 1st Series) 32 VG/FN
Sgt. Fury (1963) 13 GD/VG
Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) 64 FN
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 169 VG
Tales of Suspense (1959) 54 VG
Tales of Suspense (1959) 64 VG/FN
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck with your auctions. Your SGT. FURY 13 is one of my favorites. I have one graded by CBCS at a 7.0 and one being graded by CBCS. Do you know when the auction starts?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Good luck with your auctions. Your SGT. FURY 13 is one of my favorites. I have one graded by CBCS at a 7.0 and one being graded by CBCS. Do you know when the auction starts?

@Rafel A Sgt Fury 13 at 7.0 is a nice book to have...I've owned 5-6 copies, never owned one quite that nice.
I'm not really planning to auction any of these books. I plan to start the BIN's around FMV for my grades. This will most likely be above FMV for the grade that MCS gives them. Then I plan to either take offers or lower the BIN price by about 5% every 10 days. Anything that remains after 6 price reductions (60 days) will likely be put in auction. Thanks for asking.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I would go with auctions over BIN. For me I like the rush of watching an auction. Sometimes I've made money and sometimes I've lost money with them but it's still fun for me.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller good luck with the raw books! This is my first time trying to sell more than 1 or 2 books at a time so I went with all graded....maybe someday I'll try raw too!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ha...checked earlier and now 11 of the 12 books are ready to price/list!! fingers crossed I can sell these puppies!!

Great! Yes, the have fallen behind the last 4-5 months. It usually takes 3 weeks now, give or take.

I will chime in with the others to say I am VERY happy selling via MCS. Este and her team do a fantastic job. I've sold (checks stats) ... 718 comics (all graded) so far for 2020. I sell perhaps five a week on the exchange, and (because I am impatient) an average of 10 per week in the auctions. I currently have 168 on the exchange, plus 19 in this week's auction, 21 in next week's, 20 items being checked in, and 6 sent back to CGC for reslabbing (either cracks, or debris, or something wrong with the slab - they take care of this for you). I sent a box of 25 at the beginning of the month that is stuck in transit, mailed another box of 12 this week, CGC sent a box of 25 this week, and I have a few more boxes in the pipeline to get pressed or graded.

MCS is wonderful. I think someone touched on eBay above, MCS lists every single slab on eBay, too, unless it is a repeat ... they just increase the price to account for the eBay fees. And even though people could buy a comic for less directly from MCS, there are still quite a lot who don't know to do that. (You can check the MCS "sold" comics on eBay ... it is an astonishingly long list. Some of mine sell that way, too.)

And when I started to type this, I had 169 on the exchange. But one just sold, so I updated to 168. It was my favorite Something is Killing the Children cover, #6a. Because it is my favorite, I had it priced too high, at $149.99. But someone bought it anyway. I guess it was their favorite, too.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
MCS accepted my submission to consign 20 raw books. I have them packed and will ship tomorrow assuming Christmas Eve is not a busy day at the post office. My LCS offered me $300 in TRADE CREDIT for these books. If I can sell them through MCS consignment for $700 and net $600 I will consider it a pretty big success. I plan to reduce price every 10 days until they sell. Hope to have everything sold in 60 days. Will try to keep you all updated.
Below is the grade I assigned, I assume the MCS grades will be lower:

Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 36 GD/VG
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 62 FN/VF
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 136 FN
Batman (1940) 368 NM
Brave and the Bold (1955 1st Series DC) 85 FN-
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 101 FN/VF
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 118 VF-
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 81 VF/NM
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 131 VG+
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 168 VG+
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 181 VF/NM
DC Comics Presents (1978 DC) 47A VG/FN
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 2 FN
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 4 FN+
Marvel Spotlight (1971 1st Series) 32 VG/FN
Sgt. Fury (1963) 13 GD/VG
Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) 64 FN
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 169 VG
Tales of Suspense (1959) 54 VG
Tales of Suspense (1959) 64 VG/FN

My Raw books got graded by MCS. My grades are above, their grades are below. The downgrades were pretty much along the lines that I anticipated with a couple of exceptions:
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 36 VG- 3.5
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 62 FN/VF 7.0
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 136 VG/FN 5.0
Batman (1940) 368 VF+ 8.5
Brave and the Bold (1955 1st Series DC) 85 FN- 5.5
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 101 VG/FN 5.0
Stain on back cover.
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 118 FN 6.0
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 81 VF- 7.5 (I bought this from them as 9.0 a decade ago, sent it back in the same bag with their 9.0 label. But I never thought it was a 9.0, 7.5 sounds more like it.)
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 131 FR 1.0
INCOMPLETE. Marvel Value Stamp missing, slightly affects art.
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 168 VG 4.0
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 181 VF+ 8.5
DC Comics Presents (1978 DC) 47A GD 2.0
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 2 FN- 5.5
Oxidation.
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 4 FN 6.0
Marvel Spotlight (1971 1st Series) 32 VG- 3.5
Sgt. Fury (1963) 13 VG- 3.5
Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) 64 VG+ 4.5
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 169 GD/VG 3.0
Heavy cover oxidation.
Tales of Suspense (1959) 54 VG- 3.5
Water damage.
Tales of Suspense (1959) 64 VG 4.0
Post 34 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller not too far of though...a lot of your grades were at least close! FN+ vs FN, NM vs VF+
Post 35 IP   flag post
I need to be strong..I've set my prices and it's been almost 30days...but mostly I didn't set them crazy high, stuck close to the values they suggested...will just take time....guess if I really get antsy I could flip them to auction!

Gonna guess when the new covid cheques start flowing there will be a bump in comic sales..right now is likely slow period after X-Mas expenses?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
@EbaySeller not too far of though...a lot of your grades were at least close! FN+ vs FN, NM vs VF+

No, I wasn't at all disappointed with the grades. And truth is I had to bump a few of my grades just so their system would accept it for consignment. I had already cleared this with their manager Este and she was OK with it because they are all books that can move pretty easily at the right price.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
I need to be strong..I've set my prices and it's been almost 30days...but mostly I didn't set them crazy high, stuck close to the values they suggested...will just take time....guess if I really get antsy I could flip them to auction!

Before you go to auction and lose all control, I would suggest testing a "best offer" option on a few of them and see if you can get some results. My sales are pretty slow right now also, but I think a lot of us are pricing our books as if we aren't in a big hurry to sell.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Before you go to auction and lose all control, I would suggest testing a "best offer" option on a few of them and see if you can get some results. My sales are pretty slow right now also, but I think a lot of us are pricing our books as if we aren't in a big hurry to sell.

huh!!! I forgot about that!! meant to do it when I first listed - active now!!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

for sure not in a hurry to sell....these are all excess PC books, not a business for me but I do hope to send more this year and maybe get lucky selling books I don't care about too much to raise $$ to get some books normally out of my range
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector jibaro private msg quote post Address this user
WHATS MCS?
Post 41 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaro
WHATS MCS?

My comic shop (.com) - I believe it is also known as Lone Star Comics in Texas.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Ha!! Changed my books to include an offer and now i have one!! Will need to review when on my pc...hate doing too much on this small phone
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ha!! Changed my books to include an offer and now i have one!! Will need to review when on my pc...hate doing too much on this small phone

Just my personal opinion: If the offer is very reasonable I like to show appreciation by accepting at my soonest convenience. If it is mediocre, I will take a lot longer to respond and see if other offers come in. Once in a while I find out that an offer is an indication that a book has popped without my knowledge and other offers follow quickly. Before responding I like to go on Ebays sold listings and see if a bunch of that particular book have sold today or yesterday.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:

offer accepted!!
Now to see if they complete their side!

Batman 357 in 8.5 for $120 - looks to be fair..higher than gocollect a bit lower than a recent ebay sale but that was news stand.

1 down 11 books to go!
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
offer accepted!!
Now to see if they complete their side!

@KatKomics Once you start taking offers you're probably going to find that you are more likely to accept them at MCS than on Ebay. On Ebay accepting an offer meant that your work in packing and shipping and worrying about the book was just beginning. On MCS it's just click the button and wait for the check. I personally put maybe a $10-$25 premium on an offer coming through MCS vs Ebay depending on the value of the book.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Just want to add that I received my first check from MCS the other day in the mail and want to add feedback that it was a super easy process. I'm trying to downsize my collection and sent off a few slabs (Sold them outright to MCS, didn't do any auctions or anything else) and was super easy to just send them off and not worry about it. Hopefully my next transaction with them will go as smooth. But also have done a lot of purchases with them recently, filled in some holes I was missing in back issues sets and agree their service is top notch but can agree with the harsh grades but I would rather have a book i'm buying be graded too harsh imho and be happy upon reviewing it when it arrives than a too generous grade and be upset upon it's arrival.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb86
(Sold them outright to MCS, didn't do any auctions or anything else) and was super easy to just send them off and not worry about it. Hopefully my next transaction with them will go as smooth.

@bennyb86 I would love to know what slabs you sold outright to them. They don't usually pay a whole lot when they buy slabs directly from collectors. You might want to consider offering them here first either individually or as a group. I'm guessing there's a few guys here who would typically buy a group of slabs for more than MCS would pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb86
their service is top notch but can agree with the harsh grades but I would rather have a book i'm buying be graded too harsh imho and be happy upon reviewing it when it arrives than a too generous grade and be upset upon it's arrival.

The issue with their grading is more in selling to them directly or for consignment, not an issue when buying. But I think their grading reputation is now established enough that selling raw books through consignment is now possible. I just got grades for the books listed above, but I'm pretty sure an MCS 4.0 will sell for more than a CGC 4.0 typically. Without the MCS grade on it I could call it a 5.0 and still not get a slabbed 4.0 price.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@bennyb86 I would love to know what slabs you sold outright to them. They don't usually pay a whole lot when they buy slabs directly from collectors.

Way back when I first started I had a habit of sending EVERYTHING into CBCS literally so I ended up with some now what was I thinking on slabs lol so i'm trying to clean up but here is the 3 I sold

Harley Quinn & Her Gang of Harleys #1 - DC, 2016 - CBCS 9.6
Titans: Rebirth #1 - DC, 2016 - CBCS 9.6
Civil War II: Choosing Sides #5 - Marvel, 2016 Fax Expo Canada Variant - CBCS 9.4
Post 49 IP   flag post
@bennyb86 Ah, makes sense. Don't know if you've tried selling slabs through their consignment program but it's highly recommended. Obviously will take a little more patience but anything they are willing to buy directly should be able to sell for a decent amount more through the consignment program.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Here's my update on selling raw comics at MCS. I'm very happy with the results. Within 14 days almost half of the 20 books have been sold so as you might imagine I'm prioritizing speed over getting top dollar. I'm doing this because I want to encourage them (Este) to keep accepting my raw book submissions.
Two things to consider when looking at these results: 1) My LCS offered me $350 in trade for pretty much this same group of books. So this is a test to see how much better I could do through MCS consignment. 2) These aren't just in-line comics, most of them have something key or interesting about them and would be wall books at a LCS, even in low grade. That's one thing I found frustrating about the LCS offer, almost every one of these books is more interesting than 80% of the books he has on the wall.

MCS grades and selling price:
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 36 VG- 3.5
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 62 FN/VF 7.0 $110
Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) 136 VG/FN 5.0 $55
Batman (1940) 368 VF+ 8.5
Brave and the Bold (1955 1st Series DC) 85 FN- 5.5 $70
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 101 VG/FN 5.0
Captain America (1968 1st Series) 118 FN 6.0 $50
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 81 VF- 7.5
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 131 FR 1.0 $40
INCOMPLETE. Marvel Value Stamp missing, slightly affects art.
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 168 VG 4.0 $90
Daredevil (1964 1st Series) 181 VF+ 8.5
DC Comics Presents (1978 DC) 47A GD 2.0 $41
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 2 FN- 5.5 $95
Oxidation.
Iron Man (1968 1st Series) 4 FN 6.0 $55
Marvel Spotlight (1971 1st Series) 32 VG- 3.5
Sgt. Fury (1963) 13 VG- 3.5
Spectacular Spider-Man (1976 1st Series) 64 VG+ 4.5 $35
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 169 GD/VG 3.0
Heavy cover oxidation.
Tales of Suspense (1959) 54 VG- 3.5
Water damage.
Tales of Suspense (1959) 64 VG

Total sales so far of $641 for 10 of the 20 books. As compared to the $350 credit that the LCS offered me for all 20. I'm thinking ol Buddy might want this story for his newsletter.
Post 51 IP   flag post
just for fun I checked my MCS account today and it looks like a book sold on Feb 14th (today is the 15th) aren't they supposed to send an e-mail or something??

A decent one too - my Bat Adventures #12 in 8.0!
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
just for fun I checked my MCS account today and it looks like a book sold on Feb 14th (today is the 15th) aren't they supposed to send an e-mail or something??

oooohhhhhh...if I could read I would be dangerous!! looks like everything is closed because Texas got some snow!

we are getting 25 to 30 centimeters tonight by Lake Ontario!! I can't do my math this late...10 to 12 inches??
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

oooohhhhhh...if I could read I would be dangerous!! looks like everything is closed because Texas got some snow!

we are getting 25 to 30 centimeters tonight by Lake Ontario!! I can't do my math this late...10 to 12 inches??

I never get a notice that a book has sold. I only get notices of new offers.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia maybe that's why...this is the first time I've had a straight sale without an offer
Post 55 IP   flag post
600891 101 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?