Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Video Game/Movie pack-ins/promo comics13440

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So I was going through my video game collection to take account of a lot of the little bonuses and materials they sometimes include.

One of my favorite little bonuses is comic books. They're not particularly valuable as a lot of the packages they're included with are printed in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of copies, and they're not usually very memorable, story-wise but I think they can be interesting little artifacts. They tend to be smaller books DVDs sometimes include them as well, though I think with movies they tend to be more reprints of issues the movie was based on/inspired by.

I figured I'd show off a few I have and see if anyone has some of their own to share.

This one was included with the Limited Edition of the first Assassin's Creed game. I think that might make it the first appearance of Altair and his brotherhood of assassins in comics. This book is only 8 pages long and was written and illustrated by the creators of the popular web comic Penny Arcade

This one was included in the crudely titled, Balls of Steel Edition, of the long-delayed Duke Nukem Forever. I think this book, released in 2011, might actually be Duke Nukem's first comic book appearance, which I find surprising for a character that first appeared in 1991, just in time for the excess of the 90s.

Nothing really special about this one. It was included with the first printings of Enchanted Arms, an unremarkable Xbox 360 launch game. The only two things I could point out about this is one, the book is set up in the Japanese style so it reads from front-to-back and right-to-left. The second thing is just that the book has no credits that I could find, which kind of sucks that the creator(s) aren't getting their work recognized. The Assassin's Creed book above is actually similar but it at least includes the creators' logo on the back and was well-publicized at the time of release.

One of the few full-sized books on this list. This is a hardcover prequel to Fallout: New Vegas, included with the Limited Edition of the game. This is the first comic that I'm aware of based on the long-running Fallout video game series.

This is an exclusive cover included with the Collector's Edition of the Injustice: Gods Among Us video game. It uses the same artwork as one of the other standard covers but with some differences in trade dress. On top of that, the game that this book accompanied was released a few months after the comics series began, so it is a little late to the party.

This comic series was a lead-in to the critically acclaimed video game. This exclusive cover was included with the Survival Edition of The Last of Us for the PS3. Like the Injustice Comic above though, this one came out with the game, some time after the comic series had started.

This book is a combination comic/art book that was included with the Special Edition of Marvel vs Capcom 3. Given the Capcom characters appearing in the book, I have to believe this might be the first appearance of a number of those. I really like the classic Marvel trade dress and I thought the issue #3 was a nice touch. There are no other issues, it just happens to accompany the third game in the series. This one was actually written by Frank Tieri. Most of these books won't have recognizable names on the credits but sometimes you'll be surprised.

I'm lumping these two books together since their circumstances are so similar. Redemption and Invasion were included with the collector's editions of Mass Effect 2 and 3, respectively. Each book has an exclusive cover for a book released some time prior. Mass Effect made a big push into comics, starting with the second game. The "Complete Comics" collection that gathers the various mini-series totaling about 800 pages.

This DC-published book doubles as a mini art book and was included with the Premium Edition of Soul Calibur IV. As far as I can tell, it is the first and only comic appearance of a lot of these characters.

This is actually a full-sized book included with Star Trek Voyager Elite Force's Collector's Edition and collects two books, the Star Trek Elite Force book and another Star Trek Voyager comic. As far as I can tell, this collection is exclusive to the release of the game.

This mini hardcover book was included with the Collector's Edition of the Tomb Raider reboot. Unlike most of the other characters' books on this this list, Lara Croft/Tomb Raider has a long history in comics, notably being a significant part of Top Cow's universe. This book, from what I can tell, also relaunches the character in comics.

The last video-game exclusive on my list. Included with the Collector's Edition release of the first season of Telltale's Walking Dead video game series. This is a variant cover of Walking Dead's first compendium, which collects the first 48 issues of the series!

Now for a few movie exclusive comics.

I actually don't know too much about this one. It come with the collector's edition of a direct to video Warhammer 40k movie. I am not too familiar with the universe of the game but it has a passionate following and it certainly seems interesting. The tabletop miniatures game is pretty intense so I figured the movie was an easier way to glimpse the universe, though I still haven't gotten around to watching it. Another recognizable writer, Dan Abnett, worked on this one.

The oldest book on this list, as the wear on the book can attest. This mini book actually came with the VHS release of the movie! I am not sure how this release fits chronologically with the standard and prestige releases.

These two books are similar and there are several more that I don't have. DC has a long-running series of direct-to-video animated movies. Best Buy offers limited editions on many of them. Most only include a little figurine related to the movie. Some include a mini hardcover book, often reprinting classic comics related to the movie or previously digital comics, usually a short version of a book available in a full trade paperback. The Harley Quinn book came with the recent Death of Superman and Harley Quinn with the Batman and Harley Quinn Animated movies.

My only graded book on the list. This short prequel was included with the dvd release of the 2004 Punisher movie. I find this one interesting because it was created by the creative team doing the main Punisher comic at the time. This is also interesting because it is separate from the movie adaptation which, like many adaptations, is abridged and just not very good, while the prequel feels more in line with the Max line of Punisher comics that was running at the time so there is a little disconnect with the tone of the movie. There is supposedly a rarer black and white variant cover which I have never seen in person or even for sale.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I believe the Last of Us comic goes for quite some coin, or at least when there was buzz about a show/movie. Regardless its a cool book to have.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Hcanes I haven’t really kept up with the news so I hadn’t followed the ups and downs on the book. There was a hotly anticipated sequel not too long ago which might have bumped the value. My copy is still sealed in the package which I believe goes for a little bit under $200 nowadays.

A couple more examples for the list. Both of these are from the Maximum Carnage video game from the 90’s. The first is my holy grail, as far as this list goes; still looking for one. The hardcover Carnage was included with the Limited Edition version of the game. Unlike the other limited editions I mentioned above, this one actually was relatively limited at 5,000 total copies, split evenly between Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.

This last one was given away as a promo with copies of the game. It reprints an abridged version of the first chapter of the Maximum Carnage storyline. Given Carnage will be seeing his big screen debut in the upcoming Venom sequel, this one has been heating up quite a bit recently!

Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t remember specifics, but I’ve seen those comic inserts as a kid. Then I wasn’t into comics and they either got thrown away or ignored. I do remember the ASM 300 insert (Spider-Man movie insert?) I did like like than one I was a huge fan of the PlayStation Spider-Man game. Wish I kept that one; no idea what happened to that one.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few mini comics kicking around from my He-Man figures from the 80's
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite nice!

I have a couple...

Commemorative Coin from The Dark Knight (DVD + Comic Book + Commemorative Coin)

Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I discovered this book all mangled up and crumbled inside my Spider-man 2 dvd case. I cleaned and pressed it and sent it off to CGC to get a 9.8
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

The Hardcore Henry vinyl lp soundtrack came with a very rare limited edition Hardcore Henry Ultimate Fan Edition comic book:

but this one looked to be a 9.2 at best so I never sent it off for grading.

Highly recommended movie, btw
Post 8 IP   flag post
somewhere i have a sonic the hedgehog promotional comic cgc 9.8 that was inside a comic book
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 1928zmxn private msg quote post Address this user
For me, comic books are a huge influence on video games as well, not just movies. Many video games are based on comic books, and if I start listing them, it would take a long time. Take just the ones from Marvel or DC. But I think it's great that they're inspired by comic books, and that's where the masterpieces come from. For me, it's a great hobby where I can take my mind off everything and immerse myself in the game, despite my age. The only problem is that in both Marvel and DC, you can't use cheats. Do as I do in BattleField 5 with cheats from https://wallhax.com/hacks/battlefield-5/.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector FuneralBill5150 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Hcanes I haven’t really kept up with the news so I hadn’t followed the ups and downs on the book. There was a hotly anticipated sequel not too long ago which might have bumped the value. My copy is still sealed in the package which I believe goes for a little bit under $200 nowadays.

A couple more examples for the list. Both of these are from the Maximum Carnage video game from the 90’s. The first is my holy grail, as far as this list goes; still looking for one. The hardcover Carnage was included with the Limited Edition version of the game. Unlike the other limited editions I mentioned above, this one actually was relatively limited at 5,000 total copies, split evenly between Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.

This last one was given away as a promo with copies of the game. It reprints an abridged version of the first chapter of the Maximum Carnage storyline. Given Carnage will be seeing his big screen debut in the upcoming Venom sequel, this one has been heating up quite a bit recently!

That set is on my "Want List". Also, wasn't there a gold version of the actual game cartridge also?
Post 11 IP   flag post
A few from my collection:

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralBill5150
Also, wasn't there a gold version of the actual game cartridge also?

Not that I’m aware of. Most of the Maximum Carnage cartridges were red, however.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I had that Carnage game in middle school. Mine was for the Sega Genesis. Once I saw what those books were going for I sent my copy in for press and grade.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I see them online once in a while but never out in the wild...wish I bought one 10 years ago when they were affordable. It was another one of those books that wasn't hot enough to light a fire under my a** to pull the trigger...my mistake.
Post 15 IP   flag post
601333 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?