Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgePop CultureQuestionsRaw Comics For Sale

Silver Age Replica Comics13422

Collector JustACollector private msg quote post Address this user
Is anyone else concerned about newly made silver age replica comics? Or if not, what are your thoughts on them? As far as I can tell they have no visual distinction to tell they're fakes. I don't know about page quality, but some seem to use paper close to the original type. Obviously, if you saw a new one in perfect shape you'd assume it was fake, but what's to stop someone from "aging" it in certain ways and submitting it to a grading company or just trying to pass it off as being fake? I wish people would stop making these or Marvel/DC would try to suppress them, honestly. I don't even like the newer Marvel reprints (where only the 399 price is different), but at least there's a slight difference if you look for it.

Idk, what does everyone else think?

Just as an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-Suspense-57-Silver-Age-Replica-Edition-1st-Hawkeye/224215822259
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I think these are being made to scam people
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
They should have them labeled as counterfeit's because that's what they are.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel publishing may want to hear about these - I doubt these are in the public domain yet
Post 4 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
And the prices are ridiculous.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely a new problem on the horizon. These guys pop up for a while and find some customers who like their work. EBay is slow to do anything, many times ignore it. If the copyright owner complains, maybe they shut them down for now. But they gained a few customers to continue to sell to offline.

Here's the same seller offering a New Mutants 98, cover only "replica". MkAAOSwCoJfRV4r" target="_blank">clickable text

The listing says, "Restore your key copy of the 1st appearance of Deadpool with this exact reproduction cover!"

Or try to deceive someone who doesn't know better!... is more like it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, the bawls on that seller to dare charge $100 for that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@JustACollector I like the official reprints/facsimile and and Marvel True believers reprints. 1 I can actually read them and 2 I use them as place holders. There are very distinct differences in the official reprints and many books are far out of reach for many people (myself included).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
@JustACollector I like the official reprints/facsimile and and Marvel True believers reprints. 1 I can actually read them and 2 I use them as place holders. There are very distinct differences in the official reprints and many books are far out of reach for many people (myself included).

Well, that's true. I wasn't talking about the True Believers ones, as they have a clear border no one can mistake, and I've bought some to read the original issues. But, for instance, when the New Mutants 98 Marvel facsimile came out, some people on ebay were putting them with only a title saying "New Mutants 98" and if you didn't look it over and notice the "399" price tag, you would think it was the original...But that's not a huge deal, as most collectors would notice and I think the back covers were different too, but these non-Marvel/DC counterfeits are potentially much worse.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto

Yeah, I thought the prices were crazy too, but if you go to sold auctions and look some up, you'll see that some people are buying them! Which makes me wonder how many are going to try to age them a little and pass them off as originals.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I lived and worked in Shenzhen, China back in the mid 2000's, I was blown away at how they copied so many different things and when they took their time, they did it VERY well. I have no doubt that if someone put their mind to it, they'd find a way to recreate key books, printed on vintage paper and using vintage staples even, practically indistinguishable from the original copies. I'd be damn surprised if they haven't already.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
And coincidentally, we have someone LOOKING for a replica cover - clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustACollector
Is anyone else concerned about newly made silver age replica comics? Or if not, what are your thoughts on them? As far as I can tell they have no visual distinction to tell they're fakes. I don't know about page quality, but some seem to use paper close to the original type. Obviously, if you saw a new one in perfect shape you'd assume it was fake, but what's to stop someone from "aging" it in certain ways and submitting it to a grading company or just trying to pass it off as being fake? I wish people would stop making these or Marvel/DC would try to suppress them, honestly. I don't even like the newer Marvel reprints (where only the 399 price is different), but at least there's a slight difference if you look for it.

Idk, what does everyone else think?

Just as an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-Suspense-57-Silver-Age-Replica-Edition-1st-Hawkeye/224215822259

If you look at these close they don't seem to lay right & the trim job looks to be off.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@brysb I sent the link to Marvel with my “concern”. Just ‘cause 😈
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector FuneralBill5150 private msg quote post Address this user
Haha, CBCS and CGC is probably the people making these, that way every book has to be graded, lol
Post 15 IP   flag post
600893 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?