Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPSignatures

What to do about interior signatures?13418

Collector Bartonarms private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All,

CBCS just informed me that Jim Lee and Chris Claremont signed the 1st page of my X-Men #268. (I had completely forgotten this when I sent it in). I'm trying to decide whether to get them verified and slabbed (locking the sigs away forever), or having it sent back unslabbed.

I'm still fairly new to grading and collecting, but I want to get the community's opinion on a possible solution to the interior signature problem. If CBCS offered a service wherein they took a high-quality photo of an interior (verified) signature, and then included it inside the case (obscuring part or all of the back cover), would you use it? To me, this seems like a good compromise - the book is graded and protected, but I can still see (or show off) the signatures, giving up only my view of the back cover (which I rarely care to see anyway).

Should CBCS offer such a service? What would you be willing to pay for it?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
That might be interesting, but since the grader's notes are free, and linked on the label with a QR code (or is that just my imagination?), it would make more sense for them to just have the photograph(s) on the grader's notes web page than screw with the case or label setup, in my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Verify and slab it. Next.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Verify and slab it. Next.

This, with pics.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Verify, slab, and pics.

When I send books, I choose the option that if the verification fails, not to have them slabbed. YMMV
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Verify, Slab with pics like everyone else has said.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ggovel private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, pics, verify slab.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggovel
Actually, pics, verify slab.

This.

I have several books with the sig at the bottom of the first page. I took photos, then slabbed the books and put the photo in the back of the bag.
Post 8 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I would have it sent back instead of locking up the sigs..IF...it was for my PC.
If I was selling it then probably get it verified and stabbed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this debating to clear press and regrade. What do you think

Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider - I think I would just leave it as is.
Post 11 IP   flag post
That's not worth spit. The only thing the notary is verifying is that the James J. Spence, III signature is authentic. I'd leave it as is unless you want to roll the dice and submit it for verification.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Amspider I like the book, though. Almost makes me want it. What does the back look like?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartonarms

Should CBCS offer such a service? What would you be willing to pay for it?

I've always liked the idea. I think the only way to make it work without adding an extra pair of hands turning pages on the books would be to have the first grader use one of those upright scanners (or cameras?) to take image[s] before they start grading.

It's the extra handling that I wonder is the reason no one offers the service.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I've always liked the idea. I think the only way to make it work without adding an extra pair of hands turning pages on the books would be to have the first grader use one of those upright scanners (or cameras?) to take image[s] before they start grading.

I seriously spent 30 seconds wondering who the First grader was and why they have such a young kid handling comics at CBCS. Figured maybe they were the child of an employee or something.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t understand why they didn’t put name on first page. Or is that only for front covers?? When I get home I will buy the graders notes
Post 16 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
If you don't have it verified, does it count as writing on the book and hurt the grade?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy

I seriously spent 30 seconds wondering who the First grader was and why they have such a young kid handling comics at CBCS. Figured maybe they were the child of an employee or something.

It took me twice as long to figure out WTF you're talking about, then I got it lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I'd definitely get it verified.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I definitely want them verified, and I'd be happy just having a digital photo of the sigs. The problem is that CBCS already has the book and offers no way (other than the $300 slideshow) to get a photo of the sigs. So they have to send it back to me just so I can take a pic. Then I have to pack it up and send it right back to them.
Post 20 IP   flag post
To me, a photograph of the signature wouldn't be worth all of that aggravation... especially considering the potential for loss or damage during shipment.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think a pic is necessary. People can google what Kirby's signature looks like, every single one I've ever seen looks almost exactly the same. It's the verification/certification that matters. FWIW, the sig you have does indeed look legit to me. I've got several Kirby signed books.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Actually, good news. Darryl Hayden at CBCS offered to take and send me a pic, so I we don't have to ship it back and forth. Very grateful.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartonarms
Actually, good news. Darryl Hayden at CBCS offered to take and send me a pic, so I we don't have to ship it back and forth. Very grateful.

+1 for the customer service
Post 24 IP   flag post
602940 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?