Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Collecting Multiple Copies of the Same Issue13406

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 101 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 102 IP   flag post

Post 103 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
A rare look at Siggy's comic storage room.

PS - Scott, if you find this not to be funny, I will delete it.

I call this Section A - Am (North)
Post 105 IP   flag post

Post 106 IP   flag post

Post 107 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
I buy any copy of Ka-Zar I find in dollar bins. He's my favorite Marvel character, and it saddens me to see his books in the cheap section.

Needless to say, I've spent a lot of money on dollar bin books, but have enough Ka-Zars to help out anyone who is missing an issue

Once I own a few more boxes full, maybe I can start manipulating the market and get rich. Perhaps one day Ka-Zar issues will be as valuable as the rare Darkhawk #1.

Post 108 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Paint_Monk - If you want/need any high grade copies from the 1981 series, just let me know Wally.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo thanks so much. But I've got about two short boxes full of Ka-Zar at the moment and the collection is always growing. I've got most of the high grades already. But if you have some high grade Astonishing Tales from the 1970s perhaps . . .
Post 110 IP   flag post

Post 111 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

At first I thought this was a joke, then I saw all the dupe posts. Now, not so much
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
At first I thought this was a joke, but after seeing all the dupe posts, not so much.

lol It is.
I have, I think, a small collection. I don't have an official count yet, but it's less than 10,000 comics in a small, crowded room more suited to storage rather than display.
The Kirby DC's are a combination of my collection and the collection I bought from Mike Royer when they didn't sell at SDCC'19. Most of the others are simple upgrades, as is often evident in the images.
Post 113 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy I think the fact that you know Mike Royer...friends with Mr. Royer is so freaking cool!! The man is comic royalty!!
Post 114 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Do people have mostly raw books? Somehow I have a lot of graded books, and duplicates of most. How many is considered alot of graded books? 10s, 100s. God forbid 1000s?
Post 115 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01

I was wondering the same thing. I have maybe 20 short boxes of drek / stuff I haven't gone through yet and less than 300 graded books.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure I have a few hundred graded books. The vast majority of my collection is raw. I would venture to say there's a little less than 5,000 raw books in my collection.
Post 117 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 for me, definitely more raw than graded. I have well over 100 graded books....and 30(?) or so in the queue (being graded now and to eventually be graded)....and probably less than 100 books remaining that will eventually be graded. I have a relatively small collection (a few thousand, less than 4 thousdand) compared to most here.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Never counted my graded books - for sure over 100 but less than 200?...total comics is just under 9,000....goal for the next few years is to drop that to 2 or 3,000...if I can!
Post 119 IP   flag post
Wow! Amazing the diversity in books graded and raw people have in here.
Post 120 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
2k slabs? Wow.
I cant even imagine how much room that would take. The cost of stabbing alone would have been astronomical from my perspective.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Siggy I think the fact that you know Mike Royer...friends with Mr. Royer is so freaking cool!! The man is comic royalty!!

I do feel extremely fortunate. I first noticed his work on Kirby's return to Captain America. I wasn't 100% familiar to what extent an Inker contributed to the art back then, but I remember it was unlike any Cap I've ever seen. Once the stories were memorized from repeated reading, I'd often find myself pulling them from the stack mostly to study the art.

Then about 9 years ago he posted on the CGC forum and he mentioned where he lives, and it's only 10 minutes away. I contacted him regarding commissions, and instead got one of the best friends I ever had.

It has been a privilege and a joy to spend time with him, and comics rarely come up unless he's signing mine or working on commissions or other drawings, or planning to attend a show. When his wife lost interest in attending the shows, imagine my inner fanboy doing cartwheels when asked if I wanted to attend instead as his guest. Of course I didn't just tag along so I could get in for free; I was his assistant, and he was very grateful for my keeping his busy San Diego schedule straight, and handling the daily set up and breakdown of his table. Though he had panels I attended, there were some where I stayed behind to watch the table. Knowing I made it easier for him to give all his attention to his fans (he can talk, as I'm sure some of you know) was a reward in itself. And since he's had items stolen from his table by people who obviously noticed his attention was often focused on fans, I was there to make sure that didn't happen. When he'd bring those stories back from shows, my teeth would grind away. Unfortunately accompanying him at East and Midwest shows at this time (aside from the pandemic) conflicts with my responsibilities here, so I can only help in the West.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I do feel extremely fortunate. I first noticed his work on Kirby's return to Captain America. I wasn't 100% familiar to what extent an Inker contributed to the art back then, but I remember it was unlike any Cap I've ever seen. Once the stories were memorized from repeated reading, I'd often find myself pulling them form the stack mostly to study the art.

Then about 9 years ago he posted on the CGC forum and I mentioned where he lives, and it's only 10 minutes away. I contacted him regarding commissions, and instead got one of the best friends I ever had.

It has been a privilege and a joy to spend time with him, and comics rarely come up unless he's signing mine or working on commissions or other drawings, or planning to attend a show. When his wife lost interested in attending the shows, imagine my inner fanboy doing cartwheels when asked if I wanted to attend instead as his guest. Of course I didn't just tag along so I could get in for free; I was his assistant, and he was very grateful for my keeping his busy San Diego schedule straight, and handling the daily set up and breakdown of his table. Though he had panels I attended, there were some where I stayed behind to watch the table. Knowing I made it easier for him to give all his attention to his fans (he can talk, as I'm sure some of you know) was a reward in itself. And since he's had items stolen from his table by people who obviously noticed his attention was often focused on fans, I was there to make sure that didn't happen. When he'd bring those stories back from shows, my teeth would grind away. Unfortunately accompanying him at East and Midwest shows at this time (aside from the pandemic) conflicts with my responsibilities here, so I can only help in the West.

What an amazing story! As great as it is to get to know someone as legendary as Mr. Royer, the real prize is the friendship you cultivated. It is very refreshing to hear that these legendary people are not only nice in the short moments when meeting fans but also decent and good people who can sustain long term friendships....this goes for you as well. Your friendship is clearly more than just being a fan of the man's work, he seems like genuinely good guy. Your posts/stories are well received here. I look forward to reading more of them. 👍
Post 123 IP   flag post

Post 124 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
This won’t make anyone jealous but here is mine w/o Rawls:

Post 125 IP   flag post

Post 126 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 127 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
At first I thought this was a joke, but after seeing all the dupe posts, not so much.

lol It is.
I have, I think, a small collection. I don't have an official count yet, but it's less than 10,000 comics in a small, crowded room more suited to storage rather than display.
The Kirby DC's are a combination of my collection and the collection I bought from Mike Royer when they didn't sell at SDCC'19. Most of the others are simple upgrades, as is often evident in the images.

Man, I love seeing all those very-high-grade Bronze and Silver age books. There's nothing better than finding comics from that era in the wild, sending them in, and getting back a 9.6 or 9.8 with bone-white pages and sharp corners.

@Siggy, I gotta ask: did you take all those comics out of bags and boards and take pictures just for this post? Or do you already have large swaths of your collection photographed?
Post 128 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
2k slabs? Wow.
I cant even imagine how much room that would take. The cost of stabbing alone would have been astronomical from my perspective.

Did someone say they had 2,000 slabs? I missed that post. That many would be hard to handle in a PC. I've got about 250 at MCS that are for sell, and I don't really count those ones. My PC is about 270 right now, with another 20-30 I'm about to mail to MCS. Plus, another 150 at CGC waiting to be graded, and 25 at my presser's, and another 50 going out the next couple days. All those will be sold, though, so they don't really count towards my PC either.

If I had ten times as many slabs here, I don't know where the hell I'd put them. Hard enough making space for my ~5000 raws. I'll add a few more slabs here and there, but I am definitely slowing down.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

@Siggy, I gotta ask: did you take all those comics out of bags and boards and take pictures just for this post? Or do you already have large swaths of your collection photographed?

I try to scan my comics soon after they arrive for insurance records (assuming they'll help, if needed). I've gotten a little lazy about it in the last couple years though,
Post 130 IP   flag post
601275 245 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?