Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Collecting Multiple Copies of the Same Issue13406

Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
A couple years ago I started collecting all CGC, CBCS, and (gulp) PGX issues of Secret Wars 1 (both direct and newsstand). As amazing as that sounds (not really), it made me think of the collections that contain multiple copies of the same book. Would love to see how crazy we collectors can be for a single book or books.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
You should have seen my ASM 1-129 collection before I sold it all back in 2018. Filled 4 1/2 short boxes,... many dupes!
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Mo dupes mo betta!
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user

Plus several more raw copies.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte no wonder a nice ASM 194 hasn’t popped up!
Post 7 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
I have done this with a couple of series.

As an example, there were 5 different covers for Grimm Fairy Tales, Vol. 1, Issue 125. I got them all
Post 8 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash

These are actually like 10 years ago. I had them pressed and regraded a few months ago.

I used to have 4 batman 121 but covid has made life miserable
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Raws that need grading....

Edit

75 qty of Spiderman 2099 #1
Post 11 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I've been known to hoard from time to time. Usually on stuff that had little downside risk and reasonable potential. Most recently 1st series Firestorm #1 and Giant Size Spider-man #4. Most worked out well if given enough time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagnew
Mo dupes mo betta!

I agree!.. especially when you are duping a Silver Age icon!

Many collectors, when they buy a higher grade copy, they will sell the lower grade to compensate the cost. I never did that. If I had an 8.0/8.5/9.0,... and came across a 6.5 of the same issue with a nice wrap, I would add it to my collection.
Post 13 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Those are some beauties. I almost pulled the trigger on some 9.6s several months back.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I have another beat up “reader” copy in one of my boxes. And this is after I sold two of my lowest grade slabbed copies (a 5.0 & a 6.5).

I’m always on the hunt for more. I want a 9.4 or better so bad.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@00slim - Creature #1 is difficult to find in upper grade. Congrats!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@00slim Now that is a nice lot! I've been looking at those since you (?) posted a picture a while back. I'll keep an eye out.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post

Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I have several nova1, moonknight1, spider woman1 she hulk 1, ms32 stuff like that. where I have very little money into them and wait until they gain enough momentum, keep the highest grade and dump the rest. Higher dollar books only have duplicates when I upgrade then try y to I sell the lower grade. There are too many books I want to keep them around. I turn the duplicates into other keys
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I am relentless in selling duplicates and also never upgrade. For me, it is what I do not have that I want. Once I have one, it is off to the next shiny object. So many styles, all are cool.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Originally I collected multiples because I didn't know better. By that I mean I knew the existence of a limited number of key books. I didn't expand my knowledge base for a long time so I only collected what I knew from my history of books I was exposed to as a child.

Over time I found that I enjoyed certain covers so much that having multiples made sense. Now I buy moderns in multiples so I can sell off a copy or 2 to recoup investment and still have copies in case I luck out on a book being hot.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 27 IP   flag post
@GAC Looks like you got took on some second class books. JK... those are beauties!!! Super jelly.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Very impressive collection.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@xjagnew it's an excessive post and for that I do apologize. When I got back into collecting I was a big believer in collecting multiple copies of the same book for certain books. There was a time when I'd have 4 or 5 copies of many books. It made it easier to sell some of those books to help finance other books I wanted....if I only bought a single copy of books I wouldn't have sold any books and it's likely I wouldn't have some of the bigger books in my collection.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601490 245 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?