Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Good News For HBO MAX Subscribers13378

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder Woman 1984 is being released onto the App. December 25th. Same day as theaters.

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheLJ private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the heads up! I know what I will be doing on the 25th of Dec.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Guess I will time my free trial for that week ha.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Ugh, I only have HBO MIN.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
darn....was hoping they would hold off and I could sell my WW 1, 7 and 9.

Can still list them I guess, but without actual wide release I don't think the books will see the bump they would have in the past
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Another death blow to the movie theaters. Gotta give em credit though they waited a long time to finally do it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah, there’s a line. As bad as I want to see ‘Black Widow’ on a giant screen, I’m at the point now where, I just want to see it. $30 to stream it at home? Fine. $25 for a 4K Blu-Ray? Fine. I just want to see it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Can still list them I guess, but without actual wide release I don't think the books will see the bump they would have in the past

It is getting a theatrical release the same day. But yeah, I’m not sure how many theaters will be open, given the current situation.
Post 8 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Ugh, I only have HBO MIN.

Go directly to pun jail.
Post 9 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

It is getting a theatrical release the same day. But yeah, I’m not sure how many theaters will be open, given the current situation.

As someone mentioned to me, HBO Max's current lack of worldwide distribution may help movie theaters outside of the USA. It's not helping domestically, though. I think it's overall bad for the industry.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

very few theaters open in my area - we actually had one just close back down except for private events

very wintery out now too and drive-ins are long closed
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
@theCapraAegagrus @KatKomics I'm actually hoping WW 1984 shows up on Canada's Crave/HBO service.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The demise of theaters is inevitable...even without COVID. What theaters primarily offer is a big screen. Home screens will never be as large as theatre screens but that gap is definitely shrinking. Rising theatre costs (tickets, snacks etc.) makes the movie audience think twice about going....streaming content right into your home is another nail in the theaters coffin...now COVID. I believe the writing is on the wall....unless they change their product, I foresee no long term future for theatres.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Honestly pre-COVID, what got me back into the theatres was reserved seating, beer and food, roomy recliners, and a VIP experience. I think nothing of paying $25 to $35 CAD for a ticket with that atmosphere.

The inverse is my local small town theatre where admission is $6 for a movie, $7 if its 3D, and $5 buckets of popcorn. People travel 60+ Km to see a movie there.

So there's two options, make it dirt cheap, or make it a grander experience.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
@GAC Honestly pre-COVID, what got me back into the theatres was reserved seating, beer and food, roomy recliners, and a VIP experience. I think nothing of paying $25 to $35 CAD for a ticket with that atmosphere.

The inverse is my local small town theatre where admission is $6 for a movie, $7 if its 3D, and $5 buckets of popcorn. People travel 60+ Km to see a movie there.

This is what I was going to say.

Theaters are going to have to get even more luxurious and therefore, more expensive to survive.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2

Dating myself here but when my then girlfriend (now wife) were in University in the mid 90's there were plenty of second run theaters showing 6 month old or older films for dirt cheap!! and we loved it!! I could take my lady to the movies with snacks for like $15 or less all in for 2 people!!

p.s. after dates like that and 25+yrs later she can't complain she didn't know what she was getting into!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The demise of theaters is inevitable...even without COVID. What theaters primarily offer is a big screen. Home screens will never be as large as theatre screens but that gap is definitely shrinking. Rising theatre costs (tickets, snacks etc.) makes the movie audience think twice about going....streaming content right into your home is another nail in the theaters coffin...now COVID. I believe the writing is on the wall....unless they change their product, I foresee no long term future for theatres.

Rumor is that AT&T is hurting for money so much that DC may stop producing comics. Add to that attempting to sell different streaming services to the masses and I think the movie industry will go through a contraction too. The days of the big budget movie may be headed in the same direction as the movie theaters.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The jury is still out on theaters, but they’ve definitely taken a big hit. That said, the one thing cinema and live performance has in common that can’t be effectively replicated in a home theater environment is moment to moment audience engagement and interaction.

Covid has dealt a serious blow to cinemas, no doubt about it, but those chains that hold out or are bought out and continue under new management will reap the harvest of a viable vaccine. Folks who’ve been in lock-down mode for many months will likely seek out family/community entertainment opportunities wherever possible as long as they’re within driving distance and affordable.

My two cents, ...not inflation adjusted.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Huntergreene2 @00slim I'm not even sure "dirt cheap" will be enough to get people back....grander experience is much more likely but the market will become niche. They will definitely have to change to survive.

@Towmater Big screen TVs and streaming is a huge blow to theatres....the convenience factor alone (of big screens and brand new content in home) is hard for theatres to overcome let alone the $12 popcorn lol. The big budget movies might be the only thing that can save theatres. Those tent-pole, big action, big CGI films are really fun to watch in theatres but I'm not sure it's enough to keep theatres alive.

@CatmanAmerica Once a vaccine becomes available and/or the world opens back up I believe there will be an uptick in entertainment attendance but I'm not sure it will last/continue. Habits are/have forming/formed, its been so long since it's been normal that I don't remember what my normal routine used to be. What I do know is that I'm spending far less, saving way more because of COVID and I kinda like it. I'm curious if there's a silent majority (or significant # of people) that feel the same way.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I would really hate to see movie theaters disappear. There's still something about going to the theater to see a movie that's really enjoyable to me. Especially when it's a big blockbuster movie. I like being in a crowded theater to share the experience. People still cheer and yell at great moments (Cap picking up Thor's hammer). People still quietly sob and sniff at sad moments.
Also, I've never been able to replicate theater popcorn at home and that's a big part of going.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

The jury is still out on theaters, but they’ve definitely taken a big hit. That said, the one thing cinema and live performance has in common that can’t be effectively replicated in a home theater environment is moment to moment audience engagement and interaction.

Covid has dealt a serious blow to cinemas, no doubt about it, but those chains that hold out or are bought out and continue under new management will reap the harvest of a viable vaccine. Folks who’ve been in lock-down mode for many months will likely seek out family/community entertainment opportunities wherever possible as long as they’re within driving distance and affordable.

My two cents, ...not inflation adjusted.

With the vaccines not being 100% I think that the theater chains are going to be waiting longer periods than they believe for things to return to normal, if they ever do. I've been taught that I don't want to be jammed into a seat next to anyone at a concert, a ballgame, or a theater that isn't from my household. I don't want to find out I fall into the 5% that the vaccine doesn't work on.

BTW, with 65" TV's under $500.00 and 85" TV's now under $2000.00 I don't need to go to a theater to enjoy a movie or a game. That's a very big window to view the crowed world through...lol.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Is it too late for me to send books to MCS to sell!!??

I think this movie is going to be a flop...might be wrong but I don't think so

DC is just a mess with their movies - this should not have taken 3 years to release (Like Shazam and others!).
It tells me that they had no confidence in the first movie so didn't start production of #2 till well after release. If they knew that they made good movies they would have started filming the 2nd movie the same year the 1st movie was released...takes a year or two to shoot and post production? 2nd film should have been out in 2019 to keep the momentum going! - Probably couldn't get financing as everyone else knows their movies are - meh!

This movie is odd....she disappeared and was discovered by Bruce but this takes place before that - so we know somehow anything that happens will have no impact on timelines so everything kept secret? They bring back Chris Pine for why??? we also know he will be dead by the end of the film....they made Maxwell Lord very Trumpish....guessing people either have had enough of that guy or alternatively won't appreciate God on earth being made fun of.....just lots of things that don't bode well for this movie.

Never mind that HBO Max isn't available everywhere and most theaters will be closed
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector gotham44 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I believe Steve Trevor comes back because Maxwell Lord tricks Diana into wishing him back. I also think hats she's the only one that sees him as Steve. everyone else see's him as another person. That's also how Cheetah gets her powers. I believe there is a stone or something that makes wishes come true?
Post 23 IP   flag post
No longer just WW....all Warner movies are now hitting theatres and HBO Max simultaneously.

clickable text

clickable text
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector TheLJ private msg quote post Address this user
Matrix 4 and Godzilla vs Kong! Super excited. I loved Matrix movies so much I named my kid after Trinity.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

wow I didn't even think about that. Key books were getting major boosts from theater releases. I wonder if that cookie is forever crumbled?
Post 26 IP   flag post
I think theaters are going to have to offer a membership to stay in business. A monthly streaming fee that allows a certain number of admissions to the theater as well.

Buying individual tickets always being an option, but a monthly membership fee would keep revenue coming in.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why would the theaters invest in it? The studios are already moving in that direction and the past year has just caused them to move faster. All another 6 to 12 months of reduced theater capacity will do is solidify the idea that people don't need to go to the theaters to watch a new release.

The writing is on the wall. Theaters are done.

With that being said, I know my family isn't going to invest in multiple different streaming services to watch new movies. Yep, we have Disney Plus but that is due to their children's content. We aren't going to shell out more monthly dollars to subscribe to HBO Max to watch DC crap movies, money to Netflix, and other services. We'd be back to the monthly cable bill total all over again.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm not sure what monthly cable bills cost in the USA but here, my monthly cable bill was slightly more than $100.

I cut the cord and have streaming services only. I've got Disny+, Netflix, Prime and Curiosity Stream and it's way less than what I paid for cable. When I'm able to get HBO Max a la carte I'm definitely getting it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC I'm the same. Streaming is great being that I watch what I want to watch whenever I feel like watching. That convenience alone puts streaming in a league of its own.

I have Amazon, acorn, netflix, britbox, hulu, disney plus and hbo and will be getting hbo max. And for sport I'm from Australia so watch NRL overseas to watch my football. 👍
Post 30 IP   flag post
601524 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?