Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

AF15 9.813355

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The book is likely 95% original, 5% additives.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The book is likely 95% original, 5% additives.

95% Original
3% Dead Sea Scrolls
1% Meteorite fragments
.75% Bob Kane's toupee
.25% Anti-matter
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@MatterEaterLad lol!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
I'm hoping that eventually collectors will realize that purple 9.0 has often had less work done to it than a purple 5.0

I'm completely ignorant of the restoration industry, but I would be surprised to learn that. Typically in trying to achieve perfection in anything its the last 10% that takes the most effort. Interior lightening is also a new one to me. I would assume that's not necessary for the 5.0's.
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Interior lightening is the same thing as wet washing or solvent cleaning every page of the book. The term "interior lightening" just makes it sound better.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I also noticed that they removed the word "apparent" from the grade as in apparent 9.8. I wonder when they started doing that?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
I'm hoping that eventually collectors will realize that purple 9.0 has often had less work done to it than a purple 5.0

I'm completely ignorant of the restoration industry, but I would be surprised to learn that. Typically in trying to achieve perfection in anything its the last 10% that takes the most effort. Interior lightening is also a new one to me. I would assume that's not necessary for the 5.0's.

It's a philosophical battle based on misinformation. I've seen books that were remaindered (like this one), so nearly half of the front cover is gone and then replaced. The back page ad replaced with an identical ad from a different book. So the cover wrap is 30% original, and people praise the work. But if it were already a purple 4.0 because of color touch and a restorationist takes it to a 9.4 by sealing small tears, replacing rusty stapes, and adding tiny pieces to repair Marvel chipping, the book might have been 95% original, and those same collectors act like the entire book is a fabrication.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Post 32 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’d like to see the restoration progress photos. And I’d love to own it and take it to CBCS immediately for PLOD removal.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I’d like to see the restoration progress photos. And I’d love to own it and take it to CBCS immediately for PLOD removal.

I've done that a few times. Twice it worked out perfectly. Had the CT removed and the books came back blue, in the same grade. Then another time it came back with more restoration that was not detected the first time it was graded (Thanks, CGC)
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh

I'm not sure what "PLOD REMOvAL" is?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Purple Label of Death.

Sending it to CBCS to have it regraded and change the holder and label.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Purple Label of Death.

Sending it to CBCS to have it regraded and change the holder and label.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I like that.
Post 37 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I also noticed that they removed the word "apparent" from the grade as in apparent 9.8. I wonder when they started doing that?

They replaced "Apparent" with the quantity of restoration. I.e. "Slight", "Moderate", or "Extensive". Seems more important, since the grade number itself tells you what the book appears to be.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Comic Connect's latest event auction just went live today. That AF15 9.8 is at $21k at the moment.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Comic Connect's latest event auction just went live today. That AF15 9.8 is at $21k at the moment.

Crud so my bid was outbid by only around $20,999 dollars.......
Post 40 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_H
Quote:

Crud so my bid was outbid by only around $20,999 dollars.......

It wasn't me. I only outbid you by 1.50
Post 41 IP   flag post
597868 41 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?