Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
why become a member? and why are comics certified & others not?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Memberships get you discounts on grading books. If you submit a lot of books in a year it could amount to a lot of money saved.

As for why some books are certified and others not, I think is a bit vague of a question.

People slab books for a lot of reasons and people don't slab books for a lot of reasons. It certainly helps in selling books, preservation, some people use them for signed books, some people just like how they look.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
When big $$$ is on the line some people prefer a knowledgeable source review the comic for: restoration, unseen defects, missing pages, etc. Things your regular Joe wouldn't look for. I guess it's a good way to avoid being ripped off...
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@tonyz58 - If the question is why buy a graded/slabbed comic over a raw/not professionally graded one, it comes down to money and trust. For example, you are looking at a raw copy of ASM #300 that the seller tells you is a 9.8 all day long, and that he/she wants $4,500 for it. Do you trust the seller's opinion that it's a 9.8? Do you trust yourself that you can distinguish the difference between a 9.8 copy of that book with a 9.6 (or 9.4, etc.)? And how good are you at detecting things like color touch, trimming, etc? Or should you just buy another raw copy that is listed as a 9.6 for 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of the 9.8, and hope if you got it slabbed it could pull a 9.8? You pay a company to grade and slab a book because you trust and value their opinion, and expect most other collectors to value and trust that company's opinion also when you decide to sell that book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@tonyz58 I think you'll find that many (most?) of us on this forum own some slabbed comics and some comics that will never be slabbed. In my case, I own maybe 100 or so slabbed comics (most I bought that way, others I paid to have slabbed) but I own maybe 3000 or so others that I have no intention of ever slabbing.

I'm not a comic dealer although I do sell a few books from time to time. I'm a collector. I tend to collect older comics... mostly comics from the 1960s and 1970s with some from other time periods thrown in there, too. I don't really buy new comics. I don't buy comics with the intent of turning right around and selling them for a profit. I don't buy comics that I think will increase in price overnight because of an upcoming movie or TV show. I buy primarily because I enjoy the comic artwork and stories. I also buy because I find sorting and organizing comics to be relaxing and somewhat therapeutic.

With that said, I'm also not naive. There is, obviously, a financial side to comics. Older comics can be worth a lot of money. Newer comics can too.

So, with all that said (assuming you read this far), why do I buy slabbed comics? I do it for two main reasons:

1. I tend to collect fairly high-grade books. Because people in all walks of life are now aware of the values of many of comics, its very rare to find high-grade books from the 1950s. 60s and 70s (really, even the 80s and 90s) that are for sale but not slabbed. That's not always the case with mid to lower grade copies but, for high grade (say 8.0 and up) that's pretty much the rule.
2. Since I tend to buy older comics mostly online, purchasing a slabbed copy gives me some confidence that the book has been checked for restoration, for completeness, etc. If I were buying in person, I'd look through the book myself. Still, it's always good to have an extra set of more knowledgeable eyes especially for restoration checks on older, more expensive books.

Why do I generally slab books that I plan to sell? So that the person buying from me can have the same level of confidence in the book I'm selling that I hope to have when buying.

One more reason that I slab (or buy slabbed) is for insurance purposes. If I'm insuring an older, more expensive book, it is much easier for me to estimate a value - and document the basis for that estimate - if I can show the price that other copies of the same book, certified to be in the same grade, have sold for.

I hope this provides some insight. Obviously, others in the forum will have different thoughts about the matter. I'll leave it to others to answer your membership question as I'm not currently a member.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks very much............and I read every word..appreciate it
Tony
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@tonyz58 - No problem, Tony, and welcome to the forums. Think about why you want to submit books for grading, and try to estimate how many books you would submit per year and in what tiers. I have been a Bronze member for like 5 years, and figure that the savings per book submitted pretty much pays for my membership. The e-coupons are just extras to me, and if I use them, great (and then I can save even more).
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forums, @tonyz58. Hopefully, we have you the info you were looking for.
Post 8 IP   flag post
601354 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?