Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Modern Newsstands 2001-2017 sightings or collections13241

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS was the first to market with breaking out newsstands across the board for the years 1977-2000. However the years 2001-2017 were not accounted for. In this timeframe there are a few gems to be found which are fetching ridiculous prices.

A UF 4 newsstand in 9.8 went for 3k to Dinesh of Valiant and Bad Idea fame. Maybe a year ago I was following a raw UF 4 that was VF at best gonfor over $300.

Not everything published in this time frame made it to the newsstand. This thread could serve as documentation of what people have found, have, seen, or even completed sales for items that have fetched a premium.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector helsabot private msg quote post Address this user

I have an odd one that I just happen to grab. When New 52 came out asked someone at a Barnes and noble to find the newest Batman and they picked this up, last issue before New 52 newsstand. I just thought it was a neat issue to own that version of. I mean who else would of picked this one up when there was a new #1 next to it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
A few that I have picked up in the past 6 months.

1st app of Elixir, duplicate copy of one already in my collection

Another duplicate in the collection

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Here are some recent UF 4 sales. Dinesh's copy was in July so it doesn't show on ebay anymore

Post 5 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent thread to start @hcanes. Below is a copy/pasted email I sent @sborock in April 2020.
I'll add some pics of a few of my post 2000 newsies later. I had spoke with Steve late 2019 about an unrelated issue, then while I had his ear on the phone I lamented the newsstand designations stopping at 2000 and later. He admitted he isn't personally knowledgeable on modern books, let alone a niche like newsstands, so I think with enough info and interest he may be willing to have someone in the know at CBCS get post-2000 newsies the credit they deserve:

Steve,

As promised (roughly 5 months ago) here is the information I have compiled on the Newsstand Editions of comic books post-2000. Recent news in the modern comic book collection indicates an ever growing appreciation for the scarcity of these forgotten books, especially in high grade. As I mentioned in our phone call I think it would be wise to extend CBCS' Newsstand Edition designation to comic books published after 2000. As can be seen below, there have been newsstand editions published as late as September of last year. Every Newsstand Edition I claim below has been shown to exist either through forum members' pictures, or my personal collection.
This is not an exhaustive list, but merely what I have learned thus far. All newsstand books I refer to are easily identified by inspecting the bar code of the book. Some have different cover prices, some do not. Marvel Newsstand lasted until end of 2013. DC newsstand distribution went until Oct 2017. Some Independent publishers pressed on later.

Marvel Comics

Marvel's shrinking newsstand distribution made it increasingly difficult to find newsstand editions going into post-2000. This trend continued up until 2011, when Marvel newsstand distribution was quietly limited to Barnes & Noble and Books A Million. At the end of 2013, Marvel newsstand distribution ceased entirely. The newest Marvel newsstand edition books have their "display until" dates of December 2013.
Notable Marvel Newsstand Editions from 2013 are:
Amazing Spider-Man 700
Morbius: The Living Vampire 1
Thor: God of Thunder 2 & 6 (1st Necrosword, 1st Knull cameo)
Captain Marvel 14 (1st Kamala Khan)

All Marvel Newsstand Editions, especially post-2000, were 1st printing/cover A versions only as far as I have seen. Some have cover price variations, some do not. That's another study.
Excluding ASM 700, these are extremely hard to find in Newsstand edition, in any condition. So much so, that many collectors don't know such a variation exists.
Captain Marvel 14 in any grade is very hard to find. (A sole 9.2 CGC copy is listed on eBay at the time of my writing with a BIN of $1,750 obo.)

My favorite article on the last Marvel newsstands:
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrC3CK7upxeiBcAuB8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMHZ0NG9yBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1587358524/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2frarecomics.wordpress.com%2fnewsstand-vs-direct-edition-comics%2f/RK=2/RS=6tx5kUfoX0_.Ju37uiKbXDjA6zM-

DC Comics

DC Comics' Newsstand Editions are similar to Marvel's, they almost made it to the end of 2017.
Throughout 2017 I was deliberately visiting my local B&N and BaM every week trying to get all of these before I knew they were to be the last. I acquired most, but not all last newsstand issues of DC Comics.
All 2017 DC Newsstand Editions are priced $1 higher than their Direct Edition counterparts.
I have not been able to pinpoint when DC went strictly to B&N and BaM.
Interesting side note is that BaM was selling direct edition and Newsstand, on the same rack. The direct editions were $1 cheaper and were placed in bags/boards. The newsstand editions were left without. As far as distribution, it was not consistent for either bookstore. I had to visit multiple locations in order to find continuous runs, and even then I am still missing some books.

Notable DC Newsstand Edition from 2017 is:
Batman 24 (proposal issue)

DC comics' last newsstand books (2017) are covered in great detail here on Comichron.
http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html

An informative read on the Doc Collection, the largest known collection of late modern Newsstand Editions:
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrC3CK7upxeiBcAsh8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWNmY2MwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1587358524/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2frarecomics.wordpress.com%2f2016%2f08%2f31%2fnewsstand-variants-3-99-newsstand-editions-and-the-doc-collection%2f/RK=2/RS=kCMpm66z0WY2AX4bpJMr18qAIgA-

Archie
I'm not sure when Archie stopped, but the newest newsstand edition I have in newsstand is Riverdale #3 published 7/17.
Sonic The Hedgehog 1st series stopped abruptly without warning at #290; newsstand edition of this issue exists, I have the only one I've seen, published 2/17 and purchased new at BaM.
A 2nd series of Sonic is published by IDW and has no newsstand editions.

Alterna Comics

Alterna started up single issues with both Newsstand and Direct distribution, and hoped of making it a large part of their sales. They offered old school newsprint comic books for $1 to $2 each. I saw plenty at B&N and BaM in 2017 but then a sharp decrease in copies and titles available in 2018. 2019 I found a few titles in sparse availability at B&N only. The latest I found is It Came Out On A Wednesday #9 published 9/19. Comic shops carrying Alterna kept ample supply of the Direct Editions.

Bongo
Simpsons Comics' last newsstand edition was also the last issue of the series, #245, published 10/18
Bongo Comics also published several 1 shots in 2018, all having newsstand editions.

IDW

I own no newsstand editions from IDW but I have seen forum members post pictures of post-2000 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles newsstand editions.

Joe Books
Joe Books published Disney's 1st series of Frozen. All issues 1-8 from this series has newsstand editions sold at B&N at least, ending with #8 published 6/17. There was an annual #1 published 9/17 that has no newsstand edition I know of.
The 2nd series of Frozen was published by Dark Horse and has no newsstand editions.

Rebellion

Here's a weird one. I found The Vigilant Legacy #2 hidden among the magazines in a B&N. It is a UK publication with a Newsstand UPC sticker applied. The book was printed with only a £ cover price designation. The USD cover price is $10.75! This book was published 8/19. Yes this book is comic book sized and staple bound.

Titan Comics

Ttian published the Doctor Who Comic Books. The latest newsstand I have seen was published 6/17, titled Doctor Who The Ninth Doctor #13.

United Plankton

Spongebob Comics completed their series with #85 published 11/18, of which there is a newsstand edition.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
So what are the new(reprint) DC Walmart $4.99 books considered then? I know 2017 was the end of NS. These sure look like Newsstand editions...
And beat up like newsstands for sure...
Post 7 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
ASM V2 #13 Jan 2000
ASM #700 Feb 2013
All the Amazing Spider-Man issues had newsstand editions between these two post-2000 books, as far as I know, I don’t own that many newsies.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Unannounced final issue of Sonic The Hedgehog, #290

Final issue of The Simpsons at #245

1st and final 85th issues of SpongeBob Comics

It came Out On A Wednesday #8 (2019 newsstand!)

Vigilante Legacy #2 (August 2019 Newsstand!)

Riverdale #3

Doctor Who The Eleventh Doctor #4

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
So what are the new(reprint) DC Walmart $4.99 books considered then? I know 2017 was the end of NS. These sure look like Newsstand editions...

The Walmart and DC exclusives are not returnable if unsold and the Walmart packs aren’t even periodicals, so they are not newsstand editions. They are definitely unique and carry similarities with the newsstand market, but are distinctly different and are In a direct market sales system.
Post 10 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

Those are both direct edition comics. DC always gives me a hard time. Marvel usually always has the barcode and direct edition across one of the barcode edges. For DC not always. DC books newsstand and direct edition distinctions can be seen here

The smaller portion of the barcode is thinner with less numbers.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
Quote:

Those are both direct edition comics. DC always gives me a hard time.

Thanks...how about these two.

mm
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those are both direct edition comics. DC always gives me a hard time.

Thanks...how about these two.

mm

Yep Marty. You have some winners there
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
The last DC "Newsstand" issue I purchased was Batman #40 ( June, 2015; New 52 - Snyder / Capullo / Miki) at one of the Connecticut Stop and Shop grocery stores. Yes, it was $ 4.99 instead of $ 3.99.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
from what I understand; the Walmart packs are “back stock” that they get exclusive pricing on. As for the Marvel Walmart Variants I don’t know.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

All newsstands.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Rare Bruce Timm and Paul Dini signed Newsstand
Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post

Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post

Post 25 IP   flag post
I could keep going but it's too many to upload lol
Post 26 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Those are both direct edition comics. DC always gives me a hard time. Marvel usually always has the barcode and direct edition across one of the barcode edges. For DC not always. DC books newsstand and direct edition distinctions can be seen here

The smaller portion of the barcode is thinner with less numbers.

To add this this. I’ve noticed the same on some marvel books. the last digits “02911” will indicate the issue number “029” and the variant “11” (indicating print # and variant) on direct editions.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke keep them coming
Post 28 IP   flag post
A few more. Like @kaptainmyke I’ve got many more. These are almost all the graded examples. A couple aren’t available yet.

Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post
600441 178 30