Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New & Old to your collection Newstands 1977-2000 - part 313240

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user

I don't really care about news stand books overmuch, but I do have these. Not many X-books in my collection these days, but these are keepers.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
First time at the LCS in a bit. Found some newsstands. Mostly just pick these up from the dollar bins as trade bait for bar code collectors but it is nice to see some of these in higher grade condition.

Post 202 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Canadian

Post 203 IP   flag post
No keys required in this collection.

Post 204 IP   flag post

Post 205 IP   flag post

Dumpster diving.

Post 206 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Early Image Drek

Post 207 IP   flag post
Collector Surf75 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
My two-cents:

I think the vast majority of comics from 1977 to 1979 were newsstand editions. In fact, some of the comics from 1977 that I submitted to CBCS for grading and were labeled as newsstand editions don't exist as direct editions, at least in my opinion. For example, has anyone ever seen a direct edition copy of Iron Fist #14 (or even #15)? If you have one, please post a picture of it. I believe that by 1985 or 1986, the number of newsstands and direct sales comics were about equal, and by the 1990's, newsstands were becoming increasing rare. So I would start to put a premium on high grade newsstand editions starting around 1985/1986, and consider copies from the 1990's and especially the 2000's to be much rarer. And while I would purchase a newsstand edition over a direct edition - all things being otherwise equal, I would probably only pay a slight premium (10 to 20% perhaps?) for a newsstand if I wanted one for my collection.

Agree, great info. I been keeping these little tables in my phone, well the last half dozen phones it seems, as FYI. Love a newsstand. Oddly enough, I've never seen an actual 'newsstand' other than in 80s movies and in pictures. Here in Indiana a newsstand meant a spinner rack at the drug store or a rack in a rarity like a supermarket. Hook's Drug was my LCS til I discovered Comic Carnival in the mid-late 80's

Post 208 IP   flag post
Got this signed at NYCC and it came back in January of this year. I had misplaced it during the move.

Was a 9.6 before cracking and getting it signed.

Post 209 IP   flag post

Post 210 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 211 IP   flag post
@Bronte wow!!! Nice CPV
Post 212 IP   flag post
Even nicer CPV

Post 213 IP   flag post
Not as cool as the swampie CPVs

1st appearance of the Darkness powers

Post 214 IP   flag post
I have a submission out for grading right now. One of the books in it was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs #1, and it popped up on my dashboard as a newsstand. Now, I'm not a newsstand collector (as I have said before), but I wonder what the proportion of the Epic imprint as newsstand variants versus Marvel as a whole would be. Since the Epic imprint was a spin off of Epic magazine, I wonder if more Epic comics were newsstand copies.
Post 215 IP   flag post
@James42 Post it here when you get it. I’ve only seen the Topps run in newsstand.
Post 216 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user

Post 217 IP   flag post
Just normal newstand not cpv this time. =(

Post 218 IP   flag post

I don't have a scanner, working on it. But I just got this back today.
Post 219 IP   flag post
Bump to save from archive.
Post 220 IP   flag post
I think this is about it over the past several months. Haven't really gone looking for the newsstands in the dollar bins lately.

Post 221 IP   flag post
Haven’t been buying much with NYCC around the corner.

I’ll pick this up all day in the bargain bins.

I’ve been looking for this issue for years:

Post 222 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 223 IP   flag post
Was looking for something else, and noticed values on these seemed okay. Remembered I had them in my collection and pulled them out to look. Realized the barcode was off, and that they were newsstands. So now they are in the "to be graded" pile.

Post 224 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 225 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 226 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I did extensive stain removal on this book btw
Post 227 IP   flag post

This book was REALLY hard to get btw
Post 228 IP   flag post

Post 229 IP   flag post

Post 230 IP   flag post
600523 246 30