Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New & Old to your collection Newstands 1977-2000 - part 313240

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
The last newsstand thread was archived some time ago so here is a new iteration. I figured we could break out the newsstands CBCS recognizes which are the years 1977-2000 and another thread could be dedicated to the .years 2001-2011 (Marvel) and 2017 (DC). Hoepfully CBCS sees there are some gems in this time frame fetching top dollar. UF 4 in a 9.8 was bought by Dinesh of Valiant fame for over 3k. A beat raw version maybe a year ago sold for upwards of $300

I haven't posted books in a while due to Covid. Trying to find a new job while employed during covid was tough. My old company ended up losing all their NYC work so in hindsight it was a stressful, but ood move. Once finally landing a new job and position, navigating the intricacies of a new company and processes left little time for anything else. Now with my head above water here is what i have conpiled since March

I already have Static 1 in newsstand, but I found a randome bundle of Milestone newsstands. Here are just the #1s or 1st apps

Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Only a handful that I have been actively seeking out. I guess these are some since the last thread archived.

Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley nice ASM in 9.4. In a cbcs case nonetheless. I have a CGC 9.0 which is very generous.

I've been looking for an X-Men 5 newsstand in 9.8 for a while, nice pick ups.
Post 4 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if these qualify?

mm
Post 5 IP   flag post
They sure do @martymann
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sure do @martymann. The Batman 357 I have seen fetch a premium. The Canadian Price Variants pull an even bigger premium
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Hcanes @Studley_Dudley THANK YOU!

mm
Post 8 IP   flag post

mm
Post 9 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Double Cover

Post 10 IP   flag post
I like how they distinguished separate grades for each cover on the double cover. Nice unique book you have there.
Post 11 IP   flag post

mm
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
My two-cents:

I think the vast majority of comics from 1977 to 1979 were newsstand editions. In fact, some of the comics from 1977 that I submitted to CBCS for grading and were labeled as newsstand editions don't exist as direct editions, at least in my opinion. For example, has anyone ever seen a direct edition copy of Iron Fist #14 (or even #15)? If you have one, please post a picture of it. I believe that by 1985 or 1986, the number of newsstands and direct sales comics were about equal, and by the 1990's, newsstands were becoming increasing rare. So I would start to put a premium on high grade newsstand editions starting around 1985/1986, and consider copies from the 1990's and especially the 2000's to be much rarer. And while I would purchase a newsstand edition over a direct edition - all things being otherwise equal, I would probably only pay a slight premium (10 to 20% perhaps?) for a newsstand if I wanted one for my collection.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a beautiful-looking book from 1982 that has gone up exponentially this year. I am not sure how much a premium the Newsstand Edition is getting over the Direct Edition, if any. I also wish I knew what the signature adds to the value for this book.
PS - I purchased it new and had it signed at a con in CT a few years ago.
PSS - Not pressed.

Post 14 IP   flag post

mm
Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Here's a beautiful-looking book from 1982 that has gone up exponentially this year. I am not sure how much a premium the Newsstand Edition is getting over the Direct Edition, if any. I also wish I knew what the signature adds to the value for this book.
PS - I purchased it new and had it signed at a con in CT a few years ago.
PSS - Not pressed.

@esaravo - what a prize possession. Cheers to you! 🍻 💥🇺🇸😍🇺🇸💥
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Scifinator - Thanks, Rich. About two months after I bought that newsstand issue, I purchased a direct edition copy of issue #2. That one is in your collection now.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@esaravo 😁 and so happy to have it! Thanks again.
Post 20 IP   flag post

mm
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 22 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
I don't have a New Mutants 98 Australian cover price as I sold my copy when it first hit $150 🙄
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector peterc777 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Wow, Aussies in great condition. Nice score
Post 26 IP   flag post

mm
Post 27 IP   flag post
A couple of nice Newsstand Edition Punisher #1's. I had two identical signed issues, but one is now in @Enelson's collection.

Post 28 IP   flag post

mm
Post 29 IP   flag post

mm
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 246 30