Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPQuestions

CBCS - magazine sized slabs???13217

Collector Patrickjones2549 private msg quote post Address this user
When is CBCS going to come out with magazine sized slabs??? I’ve got some magazine sized books to be verified and slabbed, and I know they would make a good bit off of them! Please, CBCS!!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
#SOON
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickjones2549
When is CBCS going to come out with magazine sized slabs??? I’ve got some magazine sized books to be verified and slabbed, and I know they would make a good bit off of them! Please, CBCS!!!

I haven't heard of any plans to do it. I would imagine there is a significant development cost involved and it would take years to get a return on investment. From a financial perspective the math probably just doesn't add up to make it a priority. Maybe a more likely scenario would be that CBCS could offer signature verification for magazines without slabbing. Or signature verification with Raw Grade for magazines? That would only require a label, not the development of an entire new slab.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
What I don't understand is that Beckett already has a magazine-sized slab so why hasn't CBCS adopted it, maybe with their own label and/or inner well, and offer a service that has been in demand for years. Even if CBCS is insistent on producing their own slab, they could use the Beckett slab in the years it's taking to release theirs. Maybe they can offer a promotion on reholdering fees when the slab is finally released.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Other than I heard late 2021 for the magazine cases, I don't know anything for positive. In fact, late 2021 is a guess at best. What happened was the new cases got the priority, so the money went there. Next years budget is supposed to include the magazine cases.

Now, to @dielinfinite's very valid point, I have a thought. That is all it is, but hear me out. I'm guessing the overall design of the new CBCS case is superior to the current Beckett case. My thought is that after CBCS designs and produces the new case, either Beckett will start using it, or CBCS will start grading magazines and Beckett will stop grading magazines. This is my own personal theory, but from a business standpoint, it makes sense.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
@Jesse_O

What dielinfinte said. Beckett already has a magazine slab. The slab itself cannot be the problem. Savage Sword of Conan will fit in that slab just as well as Sports Illustrated.

Something else holds this up. I have no idea what, but it is not the unavailability of a slab. Even if the existing slab is not ideal, it's good enough. As they say, perfect should not be the enemy of good.

My best guess - and it's only a guess - is that Beckett doesn't see the potential market as large enough. Same reason they don't grade undergrounds published before 1980. Just more effort than it's worth.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
My best guess - and it's only a guess - is that Beckett doesn't see the potential market as large enough. Same reason they don't grade undergrounds published before 1980. Just more effort than it's worth.

Pretty sure you're right. Slabbing magazines would without making embarrassing mistakes would also mean developing a full database in information on the books details for the label.
If the goal is to get witness verification on magazines (which I think would be a big win for CBCS) I still don't understand why Raw Grade couldn't be used as a shortcut around every hurdle and expense we could come up with. Sure slabbing would be optimal, but if Raw Grade were the only option for Signature Verification, I'm sure a huge percentage of potential customers would go with that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

I can’t understand it being that issue either. If they don’t see the potential of the service then why spend years investing and developing in CBCS’ own magazine slab?

To piggyback on @Jesse_O’s comment, from the photos I’ve seen perhaps the inner well may not be ideal but I have to think that any issues with the existing Beckett slab could be worked around to bring a service to market, as imperfect as it may be, much faster than waiting years to develop a slab from scratch while your only service in the meantime is a glorified mylar bag and board.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
How can I submit my magazines to Beckett for grading? Do they only accept certain sports magazines or can I send comic related magazines?
Post 9 IP   flag post
If the magazines are signed you can go through Beckett Authentication Services here but I don't believe they actually grade the magazine. Additionally, I don't know if their grading scale would line up with the accepted comic book collecting scale so the grades probably shouldn't be translated 1:1

For non-signed books it looks like that service used to be through Beckett Grading Services but I can't seem to find any mention of magazines on the site. Digging around in the FAQ they mention that they can grade cards up to 9"x11.5" but that doesn't seem to be the Magazine holder described on the BAS page. So it might be worth sending Beckett an email to see which service would be used for magazines.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Signature Verification cannot be used with Raw Grade because Raw Grade is not tamper-proof.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS did try to use the Beckett holder but it cannot be used safely with an inner well without some restructuring of the case. Restructuring the case was going to be a significant enough of an expense that we've chosen to build an entirely new magazine holder instead of redesigning a case we may not be completely satisfied with in the end.

The holder is currently being built. I dont want to give a time frame because it can't be predicted accurately given the Covid situation, but it is actively being designed and constructed at this time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I found this page:

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/submission-form

Though it's unclear if you can get something encapsulated if it's unsigned.

And magazines are on the drop down list, as are everything from hot sauce bottles to floppy disks. It does not say what are acceptable sizes for items though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@noahjdorsey Interesting. I might try submitting something just to check it out
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
CBCS did try to use the Beckett holder but it cannot be used safely with an inner well without some restructuring of the case. Restructuring the case was going to be a significant enough of an expense that we've chosen to build an entirely new magazine holder instead of redesigning a case we may not be completely satisfied with in the end.

The holder is currently being built. I dont want to give a time frame because it can't be predicted accurately given the Covid situation, but it is actively being designed and constructed at this time.
this is good enough for me. All I need is my TMNT shattered reprint slabbed someday and I’ll be happy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

@SteveRicketts & @SBorock - when you guys are ready, I have close to a hundred mags for you to practice your crafts on.
Post 16 IP   flag post
601318 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?