Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeMovies Television

The Definitive Preacher thread- AMC & comics132

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Discuss all things related to the Preacher TV show on AMC through to the comics/Preacher issues trending upwards ...and anything else related....in this thread.

I am looking forward to seeing this show on AMC for 3 reasons:

1)
Preacher is one of my all time favorite comics...next to Daniel Clowes and Peter Bagge, Ennis can do almost no wrong.

2)
AMC is well known for consistently putting forth cerebral, dark and moody shows, which depict the seedy underbelly of American life very well...which certainly fits the bill of Preacher.
I am referring to shows like Breaking Bad & Mad Men.

AMC, on the whole, puts out well done and edgier shows than any other network, in my opinion.

Their newest mini-series, The Night Manager, is a fine example of illustrating the playing field that AMC is working on.

3)
I wanna cash in on selling slabbed Preacher books...there, I said it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Lazydayz137 private msg quote post Address this user
Super curious to see how they make it work. Have heard only good things from people who have seen the first episode.

Like you @CopperAgeKids wouldn't mind to get get top dollar for a few slabs. The ones I have listed are priced high for now and actually have a few stuck back, gambling it will be a hit and demand/prices will continue to rise for a bit.

Fingers crossed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle private msg quote post Address this user
I can't remember a series I was more looking forward to. I think mostly for the sake of Garth, who absolutely deserves some fame (I know we 'comic fans' know him, but generally he is unknown mainstream-wise). But like you guys above me, I am also heavily invested in cashing out (and building a 9.8 1-13 set for myself so it's not all about the money--Glenn Fabry's covers are amazing and you gotta love issue 12, YEE-HAH)!

Generally though it's just a lot of happy memories associated with the series, buying the books month by month for the last half of the 90's, from my early to mid-20's. Lots of happy memories from that era, and once a month, on a Wednesday, Preacher was a big part of that!

Jay
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
Youre late Colin !!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder
Youre late Colin !!

Haha,you got me.I'm day late and a dolla short.I just saw that this forum went online last night and signed up buuuut for the record....

I was the first one to start a Preacher thread

Definitely looking forward to participating in good discussion on here!
Post 5 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Preacher is one of my all time favorite series!
I hope AMC does it right....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
This is why we name a Forum user list, I had no idea CAK was here already.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
This is why we name a Forum user list, I had no idea CAK was here already.

I had no idea there was a Forum user list...

THought I'd update this thread with the sales of Universal 9.8 Preacher 1's , on 5/22 and 5/23.

I don't have a subscription to the site that tracks CBCS sales, from what I understand they only record sales that take place on ebay and not CC,CL and heritage.

Definitely looking forward to CBCS and CGC merging sales with a combined census.........but for now, here is GPA's records on the day of the premiere and the day after:

(50) $1,339Hi $601Lo
May-23-2016 $1,025 Cert# 1205447014
May-23-2016 $881 Cert# 1348530001
May-23-2016 $1,339 Cert# 0239233023
May-23-2016 $1,287 Cert# 0274764010
May-22-2016 $991 Cert# 1337920004
May-22-2016 $991 Cert# 0263384001
May-22-2016 $1,099 Cert# 1361979001
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'm missing 8-10 in my run (I remember only missing 2 issues so I'll double check when I get home) and my #1 has seen better days :/
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

Definitely looking forward to CBCS and CGC merging sales with a combined census...

The CBCS census will include realized prices?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely looking forward to CBCS and CGC merging sales with a combined census...

No, the CBCS census will just be a census of graded CBCS copies.Same as the CGC census.

A while back, if my memory is correct, I think I read that GPAnalysis will record CBCS sales, as well as CGC sales...or CBCS will have its' own seperate site that you can pay a monthly fee to see recorded sales of CBCS books from eBay, Heritage and CC/CL*.

I'd definitely pay for that service...

*Not both CC and CL, one of them doesn't report CGC sales to GPA so whichever one that is, sales made there would not be reflected.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, the CBCS census will just be a census of graded CBCS copies.Same as the CGC census.

A while back, if my memory is correct, I think I read that GPAnalysis will record CBCS sales, as well as CGC sales...or CBCS will have its' own seperate site that you can pay a monthly fee to see recorded sales of CBCS books from eBay, Heritage and CC/CL*.

*Not both CC and CL, one of them doesn't report CGC sales to GPA so whichever one that is, sales made there would not be reflected.

Comic Link. Josh's moral compass isn't wound very tight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by that.

Actually, I don't know why sales realized via Comiclink are not reflected in GPA.

Do you?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I don't know why sales realized via Comiclink are not reflected in GPA.

Do you?

CLink wanted to give selective sales data to GPA. GPA wanted all of the sales data or none. CLink declined their offer
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used a Matt Nelson quote to indicate that Josh is a shady and greedy character. He wanted to manipulate GPA, like Doug Schmell did (and continues to do?). Josh does things like this, like when he was asking people to pay with Paypal Personal and was also charging an illegal 3% for credit card/Paypal sales.

Quote:
Quote:

Do you?

CLink wanted to give selective sales data to GPA. GPA wanted all of the sales data or none. CLink declined their offer

Yup. I linked to the conversation between Josh and George somewhere else on this board. If only I could easily search for my specific posts
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used a Matt Nelson quote to indicate that Josh is a shady and greedy character. He wanted to manipulate GPA, like Doug Schmell did (and continues to do?). Josh does things like this, like when he was asking people to pay with Paypal Personal and was also charging an illegal 3% for credit card/Paypal sales.

Quote:
Quote:

Do you?

Yup. I linked to the conversation between Josh and George somewhere else on this board. If only I could easily search for my specific posts

That is dissapointing.It'd be best for the market if GPA reflected all verifiable sales of CGC slabs (and in time, I'd hope,CBCS slabs as well).

Case in point would be An All Star 58 CGC 9.8 (Volume 2, 1st Power Girl) sold on Clinkthat went for more than double the previous CGC 9.8 sold for....That record high sale is not listed in GPA.

I dunno how George actually collects all of the sales data but there is no way he is doing it manually, I'm sure of that.

Is there any way for George to record the Comiclink CGC sales without having Clink "report" the sales to George themselves?

I certainly do not use GPA as a "bible" for evaluating books but as it stands, GPA is not giving a full spectrum to its' suscribers.

As far as the 3% fee that Comiclink charges for cards, ComicConnect and Heritage also charge the same fee, if I'm not mistaken.Hell, heritage also tacks on a 19.5% "Buyer's Premium"..so they are getting 300% the commision that CC and CL get, from each sale.

Clink might charge the seller 3% but either way, both CConnect and Clink charge a 10% commission for selling items (excluding items that sell for less than $50) and really, that is a very good deal for consignors.

10% is what eBay charges me, on each sale that I make.

I do all the work and more importantly, on silver/bronze age books, having to cough up slabbing fees at least 2 months before any of the books will sell on ebay is a killer for me.

Clink fronts all grading fees, intil the book sells in auction, and you get their discount on CGC/CBCS grading fees.

I have yet to go that route but considering what CLink offers sellers, I wouldn't feel right bashing CLink.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Do you?

Quote:
That is dissapointing.It'd be best for the market if GPA reflected all verifiable sales of CGC slabs (and in time, I'd hope,CBCS slabs as well).

Case in point would be An All Star 58 CGC 9.8 (Volume 2, 1st Power Girl) sold on Clinkthat went for more than double the previous CGC 9.8 sold for....That record high sale is not listed in GPA.

I dunno how George actually collects all of the sales data but there is no way he is doing it manually, I'm sure of that.

Is there any way for George to record the Comiclink CGC sales without having Clink "report" the sales to George themselves?

I certainly do not use GPA as a "bible" for evaluating books but as it stands, GPA is not giving a full spectrum to its' subscribers.

Blame Josh for that, not George.

Quote:
As far as the 3% fee that Comiclink charges for cards, ComicConnect and Heritage also charge the same fee, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd need to see it in print because you are often incorrect. It would be illegal for both companies to charge extra for credit card use because of the states they are in.

Quote:
Hell, heritage also tacks on a 19.5% "Buyer's Premium"..so they are getting 300% the commision that CC and CL get, from each sale.

Clink might charge the seller 3% but either way, both CConnect and Clink charge a 10% commission for selling items (excluding items that sell for less than $50) and really, that is a very good deal for consignors.

I do all the work and more importantly, on silver/bronze age books, having to cough up slabbing fees at least 2 months before any of the books will sell on ebay is a killer for me.

Clink fronts all grading fees, intil the book sells in auction, and you get their discount on CGC/CBCS grading fees.

Ok, but most of this stuff is irrelevant to what I was talking about. It is not illegal to charge a commission and it is not illegal to charge a BP. In 20% of the USA it IS illegal to charge a surcharge on CCs and Paypal. The most famous state is California, because that's where Ebay is. Try putting "If you use Paypal you have to pay an extra 3%" in your auctions and see how fast they get pulled. That's what Clink was doing, and I think that's why they moved their headquarters out of New York.

Quote:
I have yet to go that route but considering what CLink offers sellers, I wouldn't feel right bashing CLink.

I feel fine bashing them. Josh is a dirtbag.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Do you?

Quote:

I certainly do not use GPA as a "bible" for evaluating books but as it stands, GPA is not giving a full spectrum to its' subscribers.

Blame Josh for that, not George.

I'm responding in bold type, because the format is a bit out of place:

I am not " blaming" anyone.

GPA is a paid service, which is arguably meant to reflect all readily confirmed sales of CGC graded books, that are available via public record.My point is that just because Josh wanted to give imcomplete/cherry picked records, that should not mean that George should not record sales made through Comiclinks' site.There should be some sort of software that could easily allow George to record all of Comiclink's sales of CGC slabs.

I am sure that there is not a department at eBay which actually reports sales of CGC slabs made on ebay to George.

George must have an automated system in place...otherwise, what is he doing?

Looking at eBay sold auctions & sold BIN listings and then compiling all of that data and uploading it onto GPA?

Of course not.

________

Quote:
As far as the 3% fee that Comiclink charges for cards, ComicConnect and Heritage also charge the same fee, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd need to see it in print because you are often incorrect. It would be illegal for both companies to charge extra for credit card use because of the states they are in.

I am often incorrect?

WTF is this coming from?

I know that CConnect passes the 3% fee onto either the seller, or the buyer.I don't really care if the seller or buyer pays an "extra" 3%.

They make that known upfront, before you bid,buy or sell anything.

My point is that the auction house would not pay 3% on each transaction, when they are only making 10% off of each transaction in commision.

The seller (or the buyer) would reasonably see that 3% as the cost of buying or selling on Clink...and that 3% would be *factored* into how much a particular book sells for.

Either way, Clink is not making any profit by charging 3% for DD/PP usage, that is what CC/PP charges CLink for each transaction.

3% is a hell of a lot better than the 19.5% buyer's premium
that heritage charges.
Again, bottom line is that with CConnect and Clink, the fees are MUCH lower than heritages.

Quote:
Hell, heritage also tacks on a 19.5% "Buyer's Premium"..so they are getting 300% the commision that CC and CL get, from each sale.

Ok, but most of this stuff is irrelevant to what I was talking about. It is not illegal to charge a commission and it is not illegal to charge a BP. In 20% of the USA it IS illegal to charge a surcharge on CCs and Paypal. The most famous state is California, because that's where Ebay is. Try putting "If you use Paypal you have to pay an extra 3%" in your auctions and see how fast they get pulled. That's what Clink was doing, and I think that's why they moved their headquarters out of New York.

I highly doubt that Clink moved their headquarters so they could start charging 3% on CC/PP sales.

Quote:

So, let's tally this up:

I am often incorrect...Josh is a "dirtbag"...and you are also very eager to happily bash CGC, elsewhere on this board...."let's get back to bashing CGC" is a post of yours that I read earlier today on this board, in the Moment Of Clarity thread, verbatim.

Yeah, I think that about sums it up.
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Yeah, good point.

After I posted the above, I read a post by Conditionfreak in another thread on here, where he called Stelbert a "very contrary person" and asked if he was "Stu".

You responded that Stelbert was in fact Stu.

That said, I've read Stu's posts on the CGC forums and your point is well taken.

I won't be feeding this character anymore ammo to fire at me.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, good point.

After I posted the above, I read a post by Conditionfreak in another thread on here, where he called Stelbert a "very contrary person" and asked if he was "Stu".

That said, I've read Stu's posts on the CGC forums and your point is well taken.

I bet you'll be incorrect about this too!
Post 21 IP   flag post
________

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert

Quote:
I am often incorrect?

WTF is this coming from?

From reading your posts.

Quote:
I know that CConnect passes the 3% fee onto either the seller, or the buyer.I don't really care if the seller or buyer pays an "extra" 3%.

My point is that the auction house would not pay 3% on each transaction, when they are only making 10% off of each transaction in commision.

The seller (or the buyer) would reasonably see that 3% as the cost of buying or selling on Clink...and that 3% would be *factored* into how much a particular book sells for.

Either way, Clink is not making any profit by charging 3% for DD/PP usage, that is what CC/PP charges CLink for each transaction.

that heritage charges.
Again, bottom line is that with CConnect and Clink, the fees are MUCH lower than heritages.

So that fact that it is illegal doesn't bother you at all?

Quote:
I highly doubt that Clink moved their headquarters so they could continue charging 3% on CC/PP sales.

I don't. And FTFY.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So, let's tally this up:

I am often incorrect...Josh is a "dirtbag"...and you are also very eager to happily bash CGC, elsewhere on this board...."let's get back to bashing CGC" is a post of yours that I read earlier today on this board, in the Moment Of Clarity thread, verbatim.

You left out the context.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, good point.

I bet you'll be incorrect about this too!

Your posting style makes it hard for me to be right about this but really, I don't have any issue with you.
Post 23 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You responded.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
________

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I am often incorrect?

WTF is this coming from?

From reading your posts.

Quote:

that heritage charges.

Quote:
I highly doubt that Clink moved their headquarters so they could continue charging 3% on CC/PP sales.

I don't. And FTFY.

No, you are mistaken.It is NOT illegal.It is a Buyer's premium, which can be waived, if an order is paid by check, wire/bank transfer....Nothing wrong with that.

CConnect and Heritage make the seller eat that 3% fee, which really isn't bad.Just a cost of doing business.It is however a plus that the 3% fee can be avoided for both the seller & the buyer, if an order is paid for by check.
At the end of the day, 3% is really just that....3%.

Factor that 3% into your bid, if you want to pay by CC/PP and not a check/bank or wire transfer.

You are missing the forest for the trees....

Considering that Clink is the only auction house that will front 100% of CGC/CBCS grading fees, which encourages more collectors/dealers to sub books into CLink for grading and subsequent auctioning, this is a valuable service for both sellers and buyers.

Case in point, I have thousands of dollars worth of raw silver/bronze age books(at GPA/FMV, mostly books with GPA sales around $200-$400).

I am willing to sell them at whatever Clink auctions prices will bring, as I will send them into CLink and avoid having to front a $2000 CGC/CBCS bill.If I fronted that 2 grand, had that much money tied up...then had to list them all on ebay myself....I would list them up at the high end of GPA, via Buy It Now.

So, CLink's willingness to help sellers out with the financial issues of slabbing books at around $50 a pop, allows more SA/BA books to be introduced to the auction market, where bidders can set the prices.

The seller and the buyers both benefit from this service, wether they realize it or not.

Again, no other auction house offers that service...there is NO additional charge, the grading fees are reimbursed to Clink out of the book's selling price in auction.In short, the seller saves himself from having to fork out large amounts of cash upfront for CGC fees, and the buyers ultimately benefit downstream.

The 3% is a complete non-issue, point blank.

Refer to the following qoute from Clink's Terms & Conditions link:

"All transactions are subject to a three percent (3%) Buyer’s Premium which is in addition to the purchase price, which premium may be rebated if the purchase price is paid on time and under certain payment terms, such as check, money order, or bank wire. In its sole discretion, ComicLink may choose not to accept payment by credit card and may require payment by the buyer to be made by check or bank wire. Time payment plans may be available but if you need more time in order to pay for an item, a time payment arrangement must be discussed with, and agreed to, by a ComicLink representative before you submit a bid or buy order for an item.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So, let's tally this up:

Maybe I did, if so, I apologize.

However, context is easily lost in the escalating throes of these "CGC bashing posts", even if they are not originally meant with malicious intent.

Because of the tone they help set, they invariably lead to others piling in with pedantic drivel/comments like "yeah, the new CGC cases are turdbuckets...CGC sucks...blah blah blah".

This sort of knee jerk, reactionary posting does not *address* the potential problems with the new CGC case, so nothing constructive can come of such postings.

Just like the sort of posting from others along the lines of:

"CGC is the industry standard.CBCS sucks for (insert baseless reasoning here)....."

CBCS has a lot to offer its clients and the comic market as a whole, as does CGC.Negative posting accomplishes nothing.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
________

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I am often incorrect?

WTF is this coming from?

From reading your posts.

Quote:

that heritage charges.

Quote:

I don't. And FTFY.

Quote:
No, you are mistaken.It is NOT illegal.It is a Buyer's premium, which can be waived, if an order is paid by check, wire/bank transfer....Nothing wrong with that.

You are obviously misunderstanding what I am saying. Read this link, it is illegal in 10 states and Puerto Rico to charge a surcharge on CCs including Paypal. You can discount 3% if they pay cash, but not the other way around.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/credit-or-debit-card-surcharges-statutes.aspx

Here's a challenge for you: the next Ebay auctions you put up, include the phrase "if you use Paypal you have to pay an extra 3%". Your auctions will be pulled within 24 hours because that is illegal to do in California.

Quote:
CConnect and Heritage make the seller eat that 3% fee, which really isn't bad.Just a cost of doing business.It is however a plus that the 3% fee can be avoided for both the seller & the buyer, if an order is paid for by check.
At the end of the day, 3% is really just that....3%.

Factor that 3% into your bid, if you want to pay by CC/PP and not a check/bank or wire transfer.

You are missing the forest for the trees....

And you're looking for sand in a desert.

Quote:
Considering that Clink is the only auction house that will front 100% of CGC/CBCS grading fees, which encourages more collectors/dealers to sub books into CLink for grading and subsequent auctioning, this is a valuable service for both sellers and buyers.

Case in point, I have thousands of dollars worth of raw silver/bronze age books(at GPA/FMV, mostly books with GPA sales around $200-$400).

I am willing to sell them at whatever Clink auctions prices will bring, as I will send them into CLink and avoid having to front a $2000 CGC/CBCS bill.If I fronted that 2 grand, had that much money tied up...then had to list them all on ebay myself....I would list them up at the high end of GPA, via Buy It Now.

So, CLink's willingness to help sellers out with the financial issues of slabbing books at around $50 a pop, allows more SA/BA books to be introduced to the auction market, where bidders can set the prices.

The seller and the buyers both benefit from this service, wether they realize it or not.

Again, no other auction house offers that service...there is NO additional charge, the grading fees are reimbursed to Clink out of the book's selling price in auction.In short, the seller saves himself from having to fork out large amounts of cash upfront for CGC fees, and the buyers ultimately benefit downstream.

I don't give a rat's ass about any of this. Josh has proven over the years that his moral compass isn't wound very tight. No cares for me, I've never purchased a book from Clink or Heritage in 20 years.

Quote:
The 3% is a complete non-issue, point blank.

Take up my Ebay challenge and let's see if it becomes an issue for you.

Quote:
Refer to the following qoute from Clink's Terms & Conditions link:

"All transactions are subject to a three percent (3%) Buyer’s Premium which is in addition to the purchase price, which premium may be rebated if the purchase price is paid on time and under certain payment terms, such as check, money order, or bank wire. In its sole discretion, ComicLink may choose not to accept payment by credit card and may require payment by the buyer to be made by check or bank wire. Time payment plans may be available but if you need more time in order to pay for an item, a time payment arrangement must be discussed with, and agreed to, by a ComicLink representative before you submit a bid or buy order for an item.[/b]

Right, this is ok because they moved their headquarters! Just because he calls it a "premium" doesn't mean it's not really a surcharge.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So, let's tally this up:

Quote:
Maybe I did, if so, I apologize.

However, context is easily lost in the escalating throes of these "CGC bashing posts", even if they are not originally meant with malicious intent.

Because of the tone they help set, they invariably lead to others piling in with pedantic drivel/comments like "yeah, the new CGC cases are turdbuckets...CGC sucks...blah blah blah".

This sort of knee jerk, reactionary posting does not *address* the potential problems with the new CGC case, so nothing constructive can come of such postings.

Just like the sort of posting from others along the lines of:

"CGC is the industry standard.CBCS sucks for (insert baseless reasoning here)....."

CBCS has a lot to offer its clients and the comic market as a whole, as does CGC.Negative posting accomplishes nothing.

The context is that the OP, a CBCS employee, was trolling CGC with that very first post. I wasn't the one who started bashing CGC, it was a CBCS employee that did. My post was 50% tongue in cheek.
Post 26 IP   flag post
597949 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?