Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Original Owners Name on Cover13196

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a late 60's Key issue that is in really nice condition. I'd guess 8.0 - 8.5 (w/ pressing).
However, there is the original owners name at the very top of the front page (relatively neat, but quite obvious), which will bring the grade down.

Just wondering how much (roughly), the grade would be brought down when/if I submit the comic for grading?

I'm on the edge of submitting/selling or just selling as is.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Following...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mugroantics private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have a pic?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 interested in knowing what books, are they written in pen or pencil. Just had a book from the 40's that has the name of the owner. My guy who cleans and presses my books said he could remove or at least minimize the name. I opted to keep as is, just keeps the history with the book
Post 4 IP   flag post
It's kinda like a thin felt blue pen (not ballpoint). It's one of my couple of Star Trek 1's.
Not home at moment so I'll have to try to get a picture later
Post 5 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Does it say William shatner or Lenard nemoy, lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Does it say William shatner or Lenard nemoy, lol

"James T. Kirk written on cover" lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Batman66 I wish!!

@AndyRexia I'd take this too!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 - Don’t know if this will help, but I had a book with a random name in ink on an inside page come back from CBCS with a 7.5 grade. Looking at the overall appearance of my book, I don’t think the name really impacted the posted grade. I would guess the higher the overall grade, the more of a penalty, but I have no idea where the deductions start or what they would be.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@esaravo great help.... thx
Post 10 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

This book has a name in blue point pen on the cover.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I have a late 60's Key issue that is in really nice condition. I'd guess 8.0 - 8.5 (w/ pressing).
However, there is the original owners name at the very top of the front page (relatively neat, but quite obvious), which will bring the grade down.

Just wondering how much (roughly), the grade would be brought down when/if I submit the comic for grading?

I'm on the edge of submitting/selling or just selling as is.

My best guess would be that it's all on a case by case basis and how much the markings or signature detract (ink or pencil, neatness, etc.).

In rare cases a signature can actually raise interest/value of books (celebrity or well known public figure). Of course, if the original owner has a large enough high grade collection for a pedigree designation ...and 60's era books certainly can qualify for that if all the other parameters used to establish a pedigree are met... it can significantly improve the overall value. The short answer is that it depends.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@southerncross @CatmanAmerica Thanks guys. That TTA #65 is very encouraging!
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 The TTA is a pedigree, so the name does not count much against the grade.
Post 14 IP   flag post
598062 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?