Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Newsstand v. Direct Editions13194

Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
I know there are some archived threads on this recurring topic, but in light of prices rocketing on ASM 300 and — in particular — newsstand editions thereof fetching large premiums, what are forum members’ thoughts on how pricing will be affected on newsstand editions of other post-1985 keys such as BA12 and NM98? I mention 1985 as a cut-off because that is the year, according to data, when direct editions began to outsell newsstand copies, with newsstand copies decreasing in supply every year following 1985.

Discuss.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
I've always targeted newsstands over direct if possibe, especially if it is a key issue such as asm 300.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
My humble copy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
As a reader, art admirer, and collector back in the 80’s and early 90’s I always avoided newsstand covers as i hated the bar code. And, still do. That said, I regularly see newsstand getting a 30% to 300% premium over directs. Obviously the older the print the lower the premium. There is another aspect of the premium though for 9.6 or higher,as those tend to haven had more rarity as the venue in which they were sold tend to have had less care taken in the display process.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't sell my comics or display them, so I don't necessarily care, though I hate the diamond price box/slashed barcode covers. They make me think of reprints.
If a comic is going to be priced so much higher because of something that has zero to do with the story, character, or series, I'll pass and spend my money on the same story, character, and series in a Direct edition, and more since I'd have more money.

Still, if a seller can convince someone to pay hundreds more for a barcode, congrats!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
A few dealers, like Mile High Comics for example, have been asking double or more for newsstands over direct edition copies for a few years now. I have no idea if any collectors have been paying those prices. I have also noticed that MCS has added a few separate listings for newsstands recently, and many eBay dealers will include “Newsstand Edition” in their listings to get more traffic (and presumably a better price). I do think that when CBCS started putting it on their labels, it did bring more attention to it.
Personally, when I look at the books in my collection that I purchased new after around 1977, the newsstands typically seem to have more spine ticks and dings than the direct editions. And when purchasing a book, if all things are equal, I would probably buy a newsstand over a direct edition, and maybe pay a slight premium for it too.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
For the most part this is purely a matter of aesthetics. I remember as a teenager I preferred the direct copy over the newsstand version. No real reason except I liked the look of it better. Since I bought comics wherever I could find them I bought many of both types back in the day and what was in the corner box never once impacted whether I bought a comic or not. As far as all the hullabaloo among collectors nowadays regarding newsstand editions, I think it is mainly centered around the obsession over ultra high grade copies. I do agree that newsstand copies in very high grades, say 9.4 or higher, are much rarer than their direct counterparts. This isn’t necessarily a supply issue (that is, how many copies were printed) but more relative to how the comics were handled during the distribution process. To pay a premium for a newsstand book in less than solid NM or higher is, to me, a waste of money. Ultra high grade newsstand copies ARE more rare, and may be worth a premium if you are into that sort of thing (which I am not, so I may not be the best person to ask).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
when I look at the books in my collection that I purchased new after around 1977, the newsstands typically seem to have more spine ticks and dings than the direct editions. And when purchasing a book, if all things are equal, I would probably buy a newsstand over a direct edition, and maybe pay a slight premium for it too.

You and I are probably of the same vintage. I started collecting in 77 and my supplier was the local 7-Eleven. We know what the spinner rack did to those books — if you didn’t buy them within Arrival Day +2, those spinner rack copies got savaged and, at best, you were buying what we know today is a 9.2. Then came 1979/1980 and the LCS was born. Almost-guaranteed 9.6 copies or better in the safe harbor of the shelves — grab your copy not from the top but toward the back of the stack ... then bag n board it. I came to become fond of the Webhead box (or the DC box with whatever slogan they had). Learned to avoid newsstands. FF to middle age and my instinct is, “avoid direct edition, hunt high grade newsstand edition.” We have come full circle.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I, personally, place no premium of any newsstand; any year over a direct market distributions. Nor do I place any premium of Australian price variants, Canadian Price Variant, Pence variants; Sri Lankan variants, or Antartican variants.

That said, I recognize there is this niche market out there. So I do look for them in order to ditch them to the folks that feel they're worth exponential times the amount of the Direct distribution.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Newsstand Edition collector's vs Direct Edition collector's:

Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Really, besides the point on higher grade newsstands being rarer due to less careful handling, spinner racks, etc., again there is the quantity published vs direct. Now for many of us that may not be an issue worth premium either way, but it is nonetheless a point of value for still for the other many of us. That said, think of it like in the numismatic world (coins) and the mint mark such as D, P, S, etc.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Nchatzi7 private msg quote post Address this user
When you have print runs that are as high as 200k,300k or 400k for those bronze to copper age issues, most of us collectors get one or two copies or whatever..
But let me ask you just one thing..
what makes your copy special?
Really..
What?
They are all the same..
Or maybe not..
If someone is paying a premium for a Nm copy of an issue Over let’s say a FN..then wouldn’t he also be paying a premium for a newsstand that’s is more rare (after 1985) or a direct ( if it’s before 1982)?
Newsstands in high grade are much more difficult to get that direct after certain years..newsstands were mostly sold to be read and then tossed away or being handled poorly over returns or whatever..
Personally I prefer newsstands after 1985 wherever I get them and direct before 83,82. I very much like those early direct Issues with the slash in the box, among others.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I have have come across a few 90s & 00s Newsstands in 9.4 or better with the intention of selling.

My personal preference comes down to whichever presents better if I am choosing between the 2 in equal grade. For example; I will always choose a Direct edition Spawn over the Newsstand because there is nothing in place of the barcode. It is cleaner and without a white box covering art work.

A bonus for me on direct Marvel books is the spider-man facepalm image saying “oh man” on the venom books and milestone achievements like “30 years of Hulk”

All in all to each his own. I will gladly you sell you the newsstand because it’s important to you that the print run is lower and harder to come by in that grade or visa versa for early direct 😉
Post 13 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a fan of most variants and just won't buy most modern variants - true monsters - hype and price with no relation to the actual content of the book - why not just issue limited edition signed prints instead - those I will buy!!

All that being said - I try not to knowingly pay more for a news stand or CPV - although since I was buying off the rack and not from an LCS from about 1984 to 1994 and I'm in Canada I have my fair share of news stand and CPV -and then through the years I just bought what I could afford or win at auction with no regard to any of that stuff as I was after the story within the book.

See - prints are nice - you can look at them all day long instead of just putting in a box!!

Post 14 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the "ugly bar code" argument, even direct editions had it by mid-90's.

The collector mentality gravitates toward the rare variant, so newsstand editions fit that really well.

1. Newsstand Editions were generally not sought out by mainstream collectors when new, and were even avoided by some in the 80's to early 90's. They were NEVER intended to be special.
2. Newsstand Editions were sold as returnable periodicals and thus treated as such...not well, both when new and by the steriotypical newsstand purchaser.
3. Newsstand Editions now offer a rarer variant of very common modern books, especially considering the huge print runs of early 90's keys and the tiny print run of post-2000 newsstand editions, available only B&N & BaM after 2011.

Due to the many variables, there is no single newsstand premium calculation that will be accurate. It's also still a growing niche, not even fully recognized by any graders. I'm looking at you CBCS, newsstand editions did not stop in 2000.
Generally the newer the book, the more scarce the newsstand edition, but there are always exceptions, and key issue status changes things. Books that were sold out when new were often sold out at newsstands 2 weeks later. Case in point: There are regularly available ASM 700 (2013) in 9.8 (still a small fraction of direct) but even 1 copy of Thor: GoT 2 (2013) 9.8 is MIA.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
>shrug< I know some people get pretty rabid when discussing this topic, and unfortunately it does often become an "argument" ffs. I guess when money is on the line, people get unnecessarily touchy, or even feel threatened on some level.

I grew up reading comics before the box was used, so technically I find them both ugly, but if I gotta look at one on a book I'm reading, I'd just rather look at Spidey's or Cap's face rather than something I can find on the side of an Ex-Lax box (for example lol ).
But at the end of the day, I don't care as long as I got the comic I want at a price I accept.
Post 16 IP   flag post
So in June 2020, GPA started reporting newsstand sales of ASM 300 as a separate line item. A newsstand ASM 300 in 9.4 is going for ~ $1,000 (lot of volatility in the pricing, but ~ $1,000 is the average), while a direct edition ASM 300 in 9.4 is going for ~ $850. So that's a ~ 20% premium on the newsstand copy. Keep in mind, this is a hot key right now, and it's a 1987 book, only 2 years after 1985, the year newsstand copies were surpassed in print run by direct edition copies.

GPA has not tracked newsstand sales of other 'bellwether' Copper books such as NM 98 or BA 12. I believe that once you see GPA build in pricing data for newsstand sales on other post-1985 keys, the market will put greater emphasis on post-1985 keys that are in newsstand format.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I've always felt the same as Scifinator, I hated the look of that bar code.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Personally it is two things for me. Nostalgia of grabbing comics off the tracks at 7-11 or from aafes/PX. And it makes the hunt more fun. Instead of grabbing a 1st appearance or popular cover, I make it difficult on myself by trying to find its high grade counterpart. Which is no easy task when you actually jump down the rabbit hole. Scouring for newsstands helps me from going overboard with comic purchases every month.

The past 5yrs or so I've noticed more awareness. I've seen more people become aware of the differences in direct edition barcodes vs newsstand ones and charging a premium, which I knew would eventually happen. It has made filling my Rick Remender Uncanny Xforce newsstand run difficult.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
When buying already slabbed comics from the 80s and 90s, I’ve been favoring Buying 9.6s in newsstand over 9.8s Direct the past few years. This is changing, but a lot of sellers do not realize even in the mid 80s 9.6s in newsstand are rarer than 9.8s Direct. We’re finally starting to see this reflected in the sale prices, at least in the key books from that era such as ASM 300....more will follow.

Here was my latest purchase. I waited a few years for this book to show up in 9.6 newsstand. The only other was a 9.8 CPV...that went for hundreds.

5 9.8 directs currently for sale. 12 sales the past 90 days or so.

Post 20 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
So in June 2020, GPA started reporting newsstand sales of ASM 300 as a seperate line item. A newsstand ASM 300 in 9.4 is going for ~ $1,000 (lot of volatility in the pricing, but ~ $1,000 is the average), while a direct edition ASM 300 in 9.4 is going for ~ $850. So that's a ~ 20% premium on the newsstand copy. Keep in mind, this is a hot key right now, and it's a 1987 book, only 2 years after 1985, the year newsstand copies were surpassed in print run by direct edition copies.

GPA has not tracked newsstand sales of other 'bellwether' Copper books such as NM 98 or BA 12. I believe that once you see GPA build in pricing data for newsstand sales on other post-1985 keys, the market will put greater emphasis on post-1985 keys that are in newsstand format.

You're probably right. MCS has been splitting out newsstand editions on a select few books. It's only logical this trend continues. GoCollect has begun this trend as well. I've noticed newsstand "variants" being listed on KeyCollector too.

I think ASM300's general difficulty to get top grades in direct edition only exacerbates how theoretically rare a newsstand 9.8 is. I'm content with my 9.6 Direct copy. Prices have increased rapidly on this book, beyond my budget. I'm thankful I got mine when I did.
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
This was one of the things I was excited to see when we launched the CBCS Census.
Based on data entered for direct and newsstand copies of ASM 300, the ratio is about double.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like we are essentially placing premiums on distribution methods. I would put high grade UK, CAN, and AUS priced variants as more rare than their US newsstand counterparts, but the collecting market for those is probably more narrow than the US newsstand collector market. I would venture that CAN price variants (CPV) would be the more highly sought after because they don't have a different looking price point on the cover. It is still in dollars and cents.

As far as the US newsstands go, yes it is difficult to find them in super high grade especially after whatever year. I have some 9.8 newsstands copies on my want list (Transformers #1, X-Factor #1, several Uncanny X-Men issues, etc). If I am adding a NS copy to my want list, then I generally already have a direct edition copy. I realize some sellers will place a wild premium on newsstand copies, some place a slight premium and some don't give a crap and price the same as a direct copy. The latter I tend to find true of most of the stores I frequent. I was looking for a Wolverine #1 9.8 NS copy and a few others recently. Someone got lucky (not me), and got a 9.8 on ebay for the same as a direct copy. I usually won't pay the premium unless it is something I am looking for and exhaust other options. There is a Wolverine #1 9.8 on Comic Link right now but I feel like that will end in the $700-$850 range by the time the auction ends. It's pretty early for a Sunday, and I feel like I'm rambling so to summarize it a little clearer, and in a totally non-scientific manner. Harder to find in high grade, people with disposable income tend to gravitate towards what they are nostalgic for, and higher pricing.

Now, if you all got any of those CPVs and UKPVs you want to unload, then I'll be able to talk in a more informed manner. Until then I will defer to Joosh and Hcanes because they are more knowledgeable on the newsstand market than I will ever be.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I feel like we are essentially placing premiums on distribution methods

This!
Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I feel like we are essentially placing premiums on distribution methods.

And paying a higher price for essentially nothing.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
I feel like we are essentially placing premiums on distribution methods

This!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
To piggy back on @Studley_Dudley about UK variants. They were the best kept secret years ago. I snagged early issues of Xmen Vol.1 because of the misinformation that they were reprints.

In actuality they used the same printing plates and were the first to hit the press to make it across the pond. Those who have studied and compiled the pence information say since they were the first copies off the press that they have better colors than their US cousins. I get the concept, but I have not done a comparison. There would be so many variables to even conduct such an exercise.

Over the years I have noticed a price correction in pence copies, which I am sure @Studley_Dudley can attest too.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Oh I'll pay a bit extra for newsstands. Not a bad thing at all.
But ONLY so I can sell them for exponential amounts of money.
Newsstand collectors seem to have alot of expendable $$$$ to toss into the pot. I'm happy to give them what they want for how much they want it for
Post 28 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Pretty much what it all boils down to.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Oh I'll pay a bit extra for newsstands. Not a bad thing at all.
But ONLY so I can sell them for exponential amounts of money.
Newsstand collectors seem to have alot of expendable $$$$ to toss into the pot. I'm happy to give them what they want for how much they want it for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Still, if a seller can convince someone to pay hundreds more for a barcode, congrats!

👍
Post 30 IP   flag post
600782 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?