Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Newsstand v. Direct Editions13194

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I feel like we are essentially placing premiums on distribution methods

This!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
To piggy back on @Studley_Dudley about UK variants. They were the best kept secret years ago. I snagged early issues of Xmen Vol.1 because of the misinformation that they were reprints.

In actuality they used the same printing plates and were the first to hit the press to make it across the pond. Those who have studied and compiled the pence information say since they were the first copies off the press that they have better colors than their US cousins. I get the concept, but I have not done a comparison. There would be so many variables to even conduct such an exercise.

Over the years I have noticed a price correction in pence copies, which I am sure @Studley_Dudley can attest too.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh I'll pay a bit extra for newsstands. Not a bad thing at all.
But ONLY so I can sell them for exponential amounts of money.
Newsstand collectors seem to have alot of expendable $$$$ to toss into the pot. I'm happy to give them what they want for how much they want it for
Post 28 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Pretty much what it all boils down to.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Oh I'll pay a bit extra for newsstands. Not a bad thing at all.
But ONLY so I can sell them for exponential amounts of money.
Newsstand collectors seem to have alot of expendable $$$$ to toss into the pot. I'm happy to give them what they want for how much they want it for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Still, if a seller can convince someone to pay hundreds more for a barcode, congrats!

👍
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
And paying a higher price for essentially nothing.

Isn't the market (or a segment of the market) paying a higher price for actual rarity, which is something? Rickets posted how CBCS has graded 10 direct edition ASM 300s in 9.8 versus one newsstand ASM 300 9.8. Should the market pay the same price for the newsstand because the rarity of the newsstand 9.8 is nothing? I honestly don't know, just putting the question out there.
Post 31 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:

Isn't the market (or a segment of the market) willing to pay a higher price for actual rarity? Here, the rarity (compared to direct edition) of very high grade newsstand copies, particularly on books from the late 80s and beyond?

To each his own. If someone chooses to pay more money for the same item simply because it has a barcode in the corner, then more power to them. I would gladly liberate them from their money. However, to me, it's nothing more than a way to introduce perceived rarity into a time period where most books are extremely plentiful and very easy to acquire. Much like the 9.9 and 10.0 grade designations from grading companies.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
To each his own. If someone chooses to pay more money for the same item simply because it has a barcode in the corner, then more power to them.

I think the same way about store variants that have trade dress and virgin options. But in these cases it’s Manufactured scarcity. I personally prefer the trade dress...especially given the “space” left void of the trade dress usually makes the artwork very asymmetric and more distracting than appealing to me.

But to each their own.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:

Isn't the market (or a segment of the market) paying a higher price for actual rarity, which is something? Rickets posted how CBCS has graded 10 direct edition ASM 300s in 9.8 versus one newsstand ASM 300 9.8. Should the market pay the same price for the newsstand because the rarity of the newsstand 9.8 is nothing? I honestly don't know, just putting the question out there.
one thing to note is the the fact that some collectors want a uniform collection. One might have a majority of higher grade Newsstands and want to fill the gaps/replace the Directs with equal or better newsstands and visa-versa.

This is where price may not be an issue for one or the other to complete that uniform run and have that gratifying sense of completion or achievement.
Post 34 IP   flag post
598060 34 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?