Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Cover Reinforced bottom staple?13165

Collector mgm05e private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Conserved - professional comic and the notes say "cover reinforced bottom staple". Can anyone explain exactly what that means? Is the bottom staple replaced? Glue added?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Conserved means measures have been taken to prevent further degradation of the book.

It is impossible to say exactly what measure was taken without seeing the book but basically speaking, the book was altered in some way, I’d imagine glue most likely since tape is not mentioned, to prevent further damage at the bottom staple.

I doubt the bottom staple was replaced as that would usually fall under restoration
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
More than likely the cover became detached or was nearly detached at the bottom staple. A piece of rice paper was probably affixed to the area where the staple holes were on the interior of the cover and then the cover reattached using the existing staple. Reinforcing the cover at the weak point.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
What the doctor said.
Further discussion.....

The reinforcement at the staple could probably be removed. Once removed, you most likely have a book where the bottom staple was detached from the cover.

With CBCS, a cover detached at one staple would likely result in a lower numerical grade. But how much lower if any depends on the grade to begin with. If it is a conserved 9.4, you could easily drop to 7.0. If it is a conserved 7.0, you might end up 6.0-6.5. If it is a conserved 3.0, there might be no change in grade at all.

With CGC and a staple detached from one cover you would get a Qualified grade. Green label. The numeric Qualified grade should be the same or close to the numeric conserved grade. But the label would be green in color with the notation that the qualified defect was the detached staple.

Qualified and conserved are likely worth about the same, the majority of time. But it's hard to predict such.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Glue is automatic Amateur Restoration; since tape is only a “defect” now, it doesn't even have to be mentioned. Reinforcement means there is some form of addition at the original staple to help it hold. Usually a tiny piece of some form of tape has been added.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@mgm05e Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
More than likely the cover became detached or was nearly detached at the bottom staple. A piece of rice paper was probably affixed to the area where the staple holes were on the interior of the cover and then the cover reattached using the existing staple. Reinforcing the cover at the weak point.

This is most likely. Professional conservation never involves tape and only archival adhesive (glue) would be involved in any piece fill or reinforcement with rice paper.

@cyrano0521 tape and glue are never “professional”.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@cyrano0521 We always mention any tape found on our label.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
@cyrano0521 We always mention any tape found on our label.

Not just tape. Also how many pieces were used 👍

It was the color touch and extra staple that moved this book to restored
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
Glue is automatic Amateur Restoration; since tape is only a “defect” now, it doesn't even have to be mentioned. Reinforcement means there is some form of addition at the original staple to help it hold. Usually a tiny piece of some form of tape has been added.

CBCS denotes Glue as Conservation, rather than restoration.
Post 9 IP   flag post
598056 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?