Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

Change in Policy or Error13096

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious about the other guys policy (i.e. if it has changed).
I thought that unverified signatures get a Green Label with "Name written on cover".

Then I see this and it gets a Universal grade?

I'm assuming this is just an error?

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
From my understanding there was always a choice. Taking blue or green. But they defaulted to green.

Personally I prefer blue
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Am I missing it? Where's the name?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
What’s a universal grade?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector HarrisonMade private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster the name is written in silver (I think) along the log on the bottom left side.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
That is an error, for sure. I looked it up, and it was graded on 1/2/20, Universal, which it shouldn't be. It should be Qualified, a green label, but they classified it incorrectly.

I owned a Venom Gold #1 signed by Bagley with that same situation, and it was a challenge to sell. Nice that it had the blue label, but people seemed leery of purchasing it due to it being incorrect. I ended up cracking it out and selling it raw for about the same price I was asking.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
It's been said elsewhere...

"Unwitnessed signatures are essentially "writing on the cover". If you request a blue label on such a book, you'll usually end up with a grade no higher than about 6.0. So CGC has a green (qualified) label for just such books. The numeric grade is the same as if there was no signature counting as a defect. But a green label."
Post 7 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
It's been said elsewhere...

"Unwitnessed signatures are essentially "writing on the cover". If you request a blue label on such a book, you'll usually end up with a grade no higher than about 6.0. So CGC has a green (qualified) label for just such books. The numeric grade is the same as if there was no signature counting as a defect. But a green label."

That HAS been said elsewhere, but CGC vehemently denies that you have a choice. It's always supposed to be Qualified, but they mess up sometimes.

There was also that recent problem with comics with restoration getting Universal labels over there. They have trouble keeping things straight.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
It is not ALWAYS green; it’s ONLY if the green label is a higher grade. If you have a 4.0 with ir without the signature, you get blue.
Post 9 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Qualified Labels are for books that are otherwise high-grade. As in, "this is the grade if you ignore this noticeable defect that doesn't effect story".

If this is a 5.5 without the writing on cover, then it's a 5.0 Universal with writing on cover.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
No wonder why I'm confused.
If this, then that; except in cases of this. In which case it is neither this nor that.
Oooooooooook....... I'll stick with these guys here.
Post 11 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 I know what you mean.
I sent in two books with signatures on them and one came back with the green label and the other one came back with a blue label
Post 12 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonMade
@OGJackster the name is written in silver (I think) along the log on the bottom left side.

Wow, that was well camouflaged.
Post 13 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
CGC's Qualified Label is something that I don't think should exist.

I'm sorry, but if a comic is missing the MVS, can't be an 8.5 (for example) IMO.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
I had a book come back 9.8 blue with a huge autograph in silver marker on the first page. Nothing in notes or label about the autograph.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased this (here, I think- I don't recall the grade) with a Green Label- It made no mention of Peter David's sig on the 1st page.

Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Blue label with unverified signature listed as "Name written on cover in marker"(coincidentally it's another Neal Adams signature in silver) with a 7.5 Universal Grade. I purchased it like this, so I don't know when it was slabbed.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Blue label with unverified signature listed as "Name written on cover in marker"(coincidentally it's another Neal Adams signature in silver) on cover with a 7.5 Universal Grade. I purchased it like this, so I don't know when it was slabbed.
26 Nov 2014
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
From the CGC Forums, a breakdown of the various defects found on Green Labels from a sample of Heritage Auction listings

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector lpgasdude private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Blue label with unverified signature listed as "Name written on cover in marker"(coincidentally it's another Neal Adams signature in silver) with a 7.5 Universal Grade. I purchased it like this, so I don't know when it was slabbed.

I'm asking this because I don't know, but in a case like this wouldn't it be good to send this in to CBCS to get the sig verified? Or is it just not worth the possible jump in value, if there would be any? It's already a book with writing on the cover.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
You can request a blue label but it will hurt the grade. Did this a few times
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoes10
I sent in two books with signatures on them and one came back with the green label and the other one came back with a blue label

Was the green label a high grade and the blue label a low to mid grade? That would kind of make sense based on what was posted previously. I can kind of understand the idea of using a green label to avoid lowering a 9.6 to 7.0 while using a a Blue label if the signature is just lowering a 5.5 to a 5.0. Seems like a reasonable way of differentiating an unverified signature from random writing on the cover for high grade books.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@lpgasdude - The book is worth roughly $100 in 7.5. Since it’s pre-1975 and would need signature verification from CBCS, it would cost $27 for grading (membership price) and $25 for verification, plus the cost to ship it to and from CBCS. If I knew the book would get a 1.0 grade jump (since the writing on cover would no longer be a defect), it might almost be worth it, but obviously there is no guarantee the grade would increase. The signature looks legit to me, based on my other books that I had signed by Mr. Adams and are CBCS witnessed Yellow labels. I think I could sell the book for a higher price with a verified signature, but that's not a given, either.
Post 23 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoes10

Was the green label a high grade and the blue label a low to mid grade? That would kind of make sense based on what was posted previously. I can kind of understand the idea of using a green label to avoid lowering a 9.6 to 7.0 while using a a Blue label if the signature is just lowering a 5.5 to a 5.0. Seems like a reasonable way of differentiating an unverified signature from random writing on the cover for high grade books.

@esaravo

These are the very first time I sent in a book for grading. I did not know about screening & pressing & cleaning of books before you sent them in.

Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I purchased this (here, I think- I don't recall the grade) with a Green Label- It made no mention of Peter David's sig on the 1st page.

I've had 9.8s with interior signatures. They do little to affect the grade.
Post 25 IP   flag post
600682 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?