Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Raw Grade Bags and Boards13091

Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I looked quickly but didn't find an answer to my question.

What materials are used for the raw graded books? Mylite2 with fullbacks? Do they just send them back in the same bag/board combo I sent them in with? What's the dilly?

That said, if I send books in for pressing, for example to CFP, what are they put in afterward before being sent on further for grading? @CFP_Comics?

I'm thinking of having a bunch done and this wouldn't sit well with me if the materials weren't the best.

Thanks a bunch!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, I would just use what's available. The books are not going into long term storage. They are going to the graders and will be disposed of as soon as they are cataloged. They just need to be safe during transport.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I mean, when CBCS grades the book and puts it into their bag/board with the sticker, what do they use?

I don't mean what should I ship it in. Sorry for the un-clarity.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
They use a mylar bag and a white backing board. Here is the info from thr CBCS website. I looked at the ones listed on eBay and they all have white backing boards.

"Books graded using the Raw Grade service are evaluated, graded and placed in a Mylar bag with a backing board. The grade is displayed on a sticker that is adhered to the front of the Mylar bag. The bag is also sealed with two tamper-evident stickers on the back. The stickers are not tamper-proof. We only guarantee that the book returned is the book sent in and that the grade given was the grade assigned at the time of evaluation.

As of May 2020, every Raw Grade submission will be checked for restoration and conservation. If any work is discovered, the word "Altered" will appear on the sticker label. Only with a regular submission will the details of the restoration or conservation work appear on the label. It is strictly an evaluation of the book’s condition at the time of grading.

The Raw Grade service is not meant to provide long-term protection for comics. Customers wanting to have their books graded and protected should utilize our traditional grading service."
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
They are not put in the same bags/boards you sent them in. The website says mylar, as to what product is, they are not more specific. I haven't really examined the RAW Grade books I've come across but I do believe it is a full-back. That said, CBCS specifically mentions that the service is not intended for long-term protection.

If you are sending a book to an outside presser and that presser submits the book to CBCS for you then it will (most likely) stay in the bag it was received in until it enters grading and is then bagged in the final RAW Grade container.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I don't work for them and I don't know the internal processes so I could be wrong, but I would imagine they dont put it in a bag and board. Too much time wasted I would imagine it just get put in a bin until its ready to be encapsulated.

Can you imagine putting the books in a a bag and board only to be discarded after being used for a few days max? That would be a lot of waste. Plus you run the risk of damaging the books putting it the bags and boards again.

Edit

Again, I don't work for them. And I don't know the processes, to me it just seems like a lot of wasted time and effort
Post 6 IP   flag post
I was hoping someone who has actually used the raw grade service would mention how they came back.

I think I'll just go with the slab anyway after looking at this list I put together.

Thanks tho!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
They come in Mylite 2 with fullbacks. They present nicely, See photos below. I had one book get the "Altered" designation. It really sucks because without any details the book is stuck in Limbo. How do you sell an Altered (restored) book without knowing what the alteration is? Also a few times I had books grade high enough that I wish I had just paid for slabbing.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
Are those golden ages bags? N what do the back look like?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks a lot @EbaySeller, much appreciated.

I have a bunch of books that are worth knowing the grade but just not the extra 60% to have fully slabbed. On top of that, it's a whole lot easier to box up a book just in a bag and board. I don't have a lot of space.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
Are those golden ages bags? N what do the back look like?

Yeah, I can't really crack the code on how they choose the bag size. Some bags seem to be Golden Age and some Silver Age without apparent reason. The back looks the same as any bagged comic with a backing board.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Thanks a lot @EbaySeller, much appreciated.

I have a bunch of books that are worth knowing the grade but just not the extra 60% to have fully slabbed. On top of that, it's a whole lot easier to box up a book just in a bag and board. I don't have a lot of space.

@Terry88 If you have Pre-1975 books worth about $50-$120, that's really the sweet spot in my opinion for using the Raw Grade Option. There's the initial cost savings, but also when you sell them they can be shipped a lot cheaper than slabs.
Post 12 IP   flag post
601455 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?