Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

RIP Eddie Van Halen13052

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Saw Van Halen twice in a week opening for Black Sabbath in ‘78 (the first was at the Myriad in Okla. City, the second at Reunion Arena in Dallas). Indeed Eddie’s shredding was impressive. That said, the Ozzie & Tony fronted Sabbath was more electrifying. Still, I was mildly amused by David Lee Roth “spontaneously” breaking a bottle of champagne on stage at the end of their set ...at both shows.

Maybe it wasn't wildly known at the time but most of what Dave did on stage was planned out and done show after show. Dave's stories/banter before songs, and his Ice Cream Man segment of the show kind of seem scripted now but never stale. That being said, it isn't any different than the same dance numbers being done in other entertainer's shows, or the same "stunts" being performed night after night at the same points in a KISS show. Its a show - go with what works.

I've seen Van Halen many times but never Van Hagar. The last time I saw them was in 2012. I got to see The Full Bug played live again and I left the show happy. They had gotten older and so had I. Getting to see Kool and the Gang open for them was an experience. It doesn't sound like it would work but it did. They opened the show and got everyone jumping. Good times for sure.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Saw Van Halen twice in a week opening for Black Sabbath in ‘78 (the first was at the Myriad in Okla. City, the second at Reunion Arena in Dallas). Indeed Eddie’s shredding was impressive. That said, the Ozzie & Tony fronted Sabbath was more electrifying. Still, I was mildly amused by David Lee Roth “spontaneously” breaking a bottle of champagne on stage at the end of their set ...at both shows.

Maybe it wasn't wildly known at the time but most of what Dave did on stage was planned out and done show after show. Dave's stories/banter before songs, and his Ice Cream Man segment of the show kind of seem scripted now but never stale. That being said, it isn't any different than the same dance numbers being done in other entertainer's shows, or the same "stunts" being performed night after night at the same points in a KISS show. Its a show - go with what works.

I've seen Van Halen many times but never Van Hagar. The last time I saw them was in 2012. I got to see The Full Bug played live again and I left the show happy. They had gotten older and so had I. Getting to see Kool and the Gang open for them was an experience. It doesn't sound like it would work but it did. They opened the show and got everyone jumping. Good times for sure.

It wasn’t widely known. I’m pretty sure that’s why my recollections of the experience are so mixed. After witnessing the repeated bottle smashing incident I was much less impressed with David Lee’s stage bravado. Also, to be completely honest, the contrast between Eddie’s shredding and Tony’s precision soloing weighed heavily in headliner Black Sabbath’s favor, at least for me.

I did own a copy of VH’s Running With The Devil LP which clearly demonstrated Eddie Van Halen’s talent and control of pyrotechnics in the studio, but live the group seemed more cacophonous & loud than controlled (visually, entertaining, but musically, unimpressive, at least based on my recollections from ‘78). Conversely, Sabbath was a religious experience in a manner of speaking with the advantage of an enormous repertoire of strong songs, even ignoring their most recent albums.

One of the drawbacks of reflecting so far back is the recollection of only being impressed by a couple of the songs they performed. Jamie’s Crying was catchy and had a great hook with four descending notes and Running With the Devil was a take no prisoners anthem with a strong chorus and soloing, but this early in their career the group just didn’t have enough killer filler.

Anyway, I’d like to raise a toast in memory of Eddie, a guitar legend whose style, like Hendrix before him, inspired many guitarists who’d follow in his footsteps.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Saw this article and thought this was a good way to end things. I'm glad they were kosher with each other towards the end.

Page Six: Eddie Van Halen and Sammy Hagar secretly reconciled earlier this year.
https://pagesix.com/2020/10/07/eddie-van-halen-and-sammy-hagar-secretly-reconciled-earlier-this-year/
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Was parking my car today and the DJ played "Love Walks In" in memory of Eddie. It was a moment, couldn't get out of the car until the song ended.
Question for my fellow Van Halen fans: If you wanted to properly represent Van Halen to someone who had never heard of them, what are the most important 3 songs you would have them listen to?
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Jump. Only number one I think.
Right now. Huge 90s song
Eruption. Represented heart of van halens guitar playing.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Jump. Only number one I think.
Right now. Huge 90s song
Eruption. Represented heart of van halens guitar playing.

I also have Jump and Right Now as 2 of my 3. The 3rd will require more thought. I really liked "Dreams" and "Love Walks In"...I often confuse the two.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I chose what I thought represented the best of what the band was.

Personally those aren't my favorite songs.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
"Eruption" changed the guitar solo world!!! That's definitely in my top 3. "Ain't talkin bout love" and "Jump" would be the other two. However, "Mean Street" is another one I'd highly suggest. One of my personal favorites is "Runnin with the Devil".

On a side note, spell check doesn't like Van Halen song titles. LOL
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! Three songs to get a newbie hooked.

Running with the devil

Ice cream man

And I’d thrown in intruder/ pretty woman.

Honorable mention goes to drop dead legs
Post 34 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Their first record is great start to finish. Their cover of You Really Got Me almost supplanted the original as the default/go to version. Fair Warning is another great record and my favourite song on that record is Unchained....Mean Street is another standout track.

Innovator no doubt.
Post 35 IP   flag post
The three songs that sum up Van Halen for me:

1) Runnin with the Devil
2) Eruption
3) Hot For Teacher

Runnin with the Devil is just a pure Van Halen band song. The first track off the first album that introduces you to Van Halen and what you will get from them as a band heading forward.

Eruption - one word title and one word sums it up - MASTERPIECE

Hot For Teacher allows the listener to see what Van Halen had morphed into over 6 albums. The song is just pure fun. When I think of Van Halen I think of fun.

If I was to add another song I'd put Stay Frosty on the list as number 4. It was the last truly "original" song the band put together. It wasn't a rehash of old music from the glory days of the band that never made it on an album. Yes, it is a nod to Ice Cream Man but it is so much more too.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It is nice to see more appreciation for the Roth years.

I get that Hagar made them superstars, but those early years were raw and fun as hell.

Anyone ever seen the movie Airheads?

They address the Roth/ Hagar thing in a humorous way.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

Odd. Almost everyone I've spoken about van halen, seem to prefer roth to Hagar. Although I prefer Hagar, roth still made quite a few good albums...
Post 38 IP   flag post

Post 39 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Roth era: hard rockin' sex and drugs party music.

Hagar era: matured, softer keyboard heavier music.

Both are great but I prefer the Roth era...in my opinion they were better songs.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Bronte

I’d be curious if Hagar was the singer when you first started listening to them?

It was Roth for me and while van Hagar wasn’t my favorite, they definitely had some hits.

GAC said basically what I told my son yesterday.

Roth era was more like party hard rock. Raw, loud and right in your face.

The Hagar era was more polished, about musicianship more than party rock.

I always figure it’s like James Bond. Your favorite is probably the one you grew up with.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@Towmater

Funny you posted this.

My son got into vinyl a few years back and got a record player.

One of the records he has is my original copy of 1984.

I made him listen to drop dead legs. I truly do miss the sound of vinyl...
Post 42 IP   flag post
I grew up on van hagar. His lyrics struck me as being a little more deep than sex and drugs and rock and roll.

Granted all his stuff is about love.

I do appreciate ross though. The only thing I don't like is cherone.

I remember going through a depressive episode after they broke up after balance.

So I'm genuinely pleased they made up in the end. At one point I bought every boot leg and out take of van halen. They truly were my favorite. I even have the merry melodies cd still sealed somewhere in my house.

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Halen-Looney-Tunes-Merrie-Melodies-The-Unreleased/release/7152351

Edit

Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

I always figure it’s like James Bond. Your favorite is probably the one you grew up with.

For me it always came down to which era of the band would you have rather won the MTV Lost Weekend Contest under. For me - Van Halen, not Van Hagar.

=
Post 44 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
His patent -> https://patents.google.com/patent/US4656917A/en
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I grew up on van hagar. His lyrics struck me as being a little more deep than sex and drugs and rock and roll.

I also mostly prefer Van Hagar songs. Hagar brought meaningful lyrics a dynamic voice and professional work ethic. But he wasn't the natural showman that DLR was and he could look a little awkward on stage with the rest of the band.
Check out this concert video. Hagar gives a nerdy introduction, gets the name of the song wrong and just doesn't seem to have the natural stage charisma of the rest of the band. DLR could keep up with the bands charisma, Sammy Hagar not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u3StTsVDD0
Post 46 IP   flag post
Been watching more Van Halen concert videos for the last hour or so. I really had no idea just how bad Sammy Hagar was on stage. Roth looks like his stage presence was inspired by Prince. Sammy Hagar looks like his stage presence was inspired by Richard Simmons.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller

LOL

thankfully some of his lyrics elevate him beyond his stage performances
Post 48 IP   flag post
597912 48 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?