Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

RIP Eddie Van Halen13052

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Eddie passed away from throat cancer at the age of 65.

This one hits hard!!! Thanks for all the wonderful music Eddie!! You were a HUGE part of my youth!! Rest in peace.

TMZ article

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
RIP

Part of one of the best bands ever.

Definitely missed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Blair1999 private msg quote post Address this user
F you 2020... F YOU!
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! What a shame. He'll certainly be missed. That man could wail on a guitar like few others.
Post 4 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
WOW. RIP
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
RIP

A virtuoso and genius of the guitar.

He will be missed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
A talent for sure. Surprised he lived this long.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I hope that he is at peace and my condolences to his family. I'm stunned and a bit shaken. Van Halen is a big part of my generations playlist in life.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Van Halen was my first concert, back in 1984. My ears are still ringing.

RIP
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
RIP Eddie, you will be missed but your music will live on!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
R.I.P. Eddie

One of a handful of rock guitarists that actually changed the landscape of rock
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair1999
F you 2020... F YOU!

This!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
One of the best.R.I.P.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I was shocked to hear this!

I still have 1984 and Diver down on vinyl.

The man could make a guitar do almost anything he wanted.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Saw Van Halen twice in a week opening for Black Sabbath in ‘78 (the first was at the Myriad in Okla. City, the second at Reunion Arena in Dallas). Indeed Eddie’s shredding was impressive. That said, the Ozzie & Tony fronted Sabbath was more electrifying. Still, I was mildly amused by David Lee Roth “spontaneously” breaking a bottle of champagne on stage at the end of their set ...at both shows.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I remember Eddie as the best guitarist of his generation seeming to decide to focus on keyboards, but then again , Michael Jordan played baseball for awhile.
The songs live forever. 65 is too short.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
This one hit me hard. I love listening to him play. I regret I never got to see them. I had a ticket a few years ago but woke up really sick and couldn't keep anything down. Ended up in the hospital two days later. I was going to try to tough it out, though.

RIP Eddie
Post 18 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Went to 2 concerts. I hate crowds but I stomached it to go see them. Pretty sure I lost some hearing after concerts though....
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
An amazing talent that should still be rocking. RIP

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Went to 2 concerts. I hate crowds but I stomached it to go see them. Pretty sure I lost some hearing after concerts though....

Yep, my hearing suffered a bit of loss along the way as well. The only concert where I went out of my way to snag front row center seats was the Reunion Arena Van Halen/Sabbath show. The Tick would probably just say Tinnitus is a harsh mistress, ...but I'd need closed captioning to verify it now.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Small price to pay. Although my memory is porous, I hope I never forget the experience.

Although my era was the van hagar years. I do have appreciation of ross years as well.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Rest In Peace Eddie.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I spent much of Jr. High School with either the intro to "Jump" or the lyrics to "I'll Wait" running through my head. Finally saw them in concert for OU812. "Summer Nights" felt pretty deep when I was 19 and spent summer nights driving around with friends looking for beer and girls. I think it was "Dreams" or "Love Walks In" that got me to finally understand Eddie's talent for synchronizing guitar with keyboard. I actually spent about 30 minutes with brother Alex around 1994. Unfortunately I didn't realize who he was until he left my store in Santa Monica and a co-worker told me who I had just helped. I had actually been told that he was headed my way, but when I met him he didn't look like a rock legend and his everyday guy appearance fooled me.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Saw Van Halen twice in a week opening for Black Sabbath in ‘78 (the first was at the Myriad in Okla. City, the second at Reunion Arena in Dallas). Indeed Eddie’s shredding was impressive. That said, the Ozzie & Tony fronted Sabbath was more electrifying. Still, I was mildly amused by David Lee Roth “spontaneously” breaking a bottle of champagne on stage at the end of their set ...at both shows.

Maybe it wasn't wildly known at the time but most of what Dave did on stage was planned out and done show after show. Dave's stories/banter before songs, and his Ice Cream Man segment of the show kind of seem scripted now but never stale. That being said, it isn't any different than the same dance numbers being done in other entertainer's shows, or the same "stunts" being performed night after night at the same points in a KISS show. Its a show - go with what works.

I've seen Van Halen many times but never Van Hagar. The last time I saw them was in 2012. I got to see The Full Bug played live again and I left the show happy. They had gotten older and so had I. Getting to see Kool and the Gang open for them was an experience. It doesn't sound like it would work but it did. They opened the show and got everyone jumping. Good times for sure.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Maybe it wasn't wildly known at the time but most of what Dave did on stage was planned out and done show after show. Dave's stories/banter before songs, and his Ice Cream Man segment of the show kind of seem scripted now but never stale. That being said, it isn't any different than the same dance numbers being done in other entertainer's shows, or the same "stunts" being performed night after night at the same points in a KISS show. Its a show - go with what works.

I've seen Van Halen many times but never Van Hagar. The last time I saw them was in 2012. I got to see The Full Bug played live again and I left the show happy. They had gotten older and so had I. Getting to see Kool and the Gang open for them was an experience. It doesn't sound like it would work but it did. They opened the show and got everyone jumping. Good times for sure.

It wasn’t widely known. I’m pretty sure that’s why my recollections of the experience are so mixed. After witnessing the repeated bottle smashing incident I was much less impressed with David Lee’s stage bravado. Also, to be completely honest, the contrast between Eddie’s shredding and Tony’s precision soloing weighed heavily in headliner Black Sabbath’s favor, at least for me.

I did own a copy of VH’s Running With The Devil LP which clearly demonstrated Eddie Van Halen’s talent and control of pyrotechnics in the studio, but live the group seemed more cacophonous & loud than controlled (visually, entertaining, but musically, unimpressive, at least based on my recollections from ‘78). Conversely, Sabbath was a religious experience in a manner of speaking with the advantage of an enormous repertoire of strong songs, even ignoring their most recent albums.

One of the drawbacks of reflecting so far back is the recollection of only being impressed by a couple of the songs they performed. Jamie’s Crying was catchy and had a great hook with four descending notes and Running With the Devil was a take no prisoners anthem with a strong chorus and soloing, but this early in their career the group just didn’t have enough killer filler.

Anyway, I’d like to raise a toast in memory of Eddie, a guitar legend whose style, like Hendrix before him, inspired many guitarists who’d follow in his footsteps.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Saw this article and thought this was a good way to end things. I'm glad they were kosher with each other towards the end.

Page Six: Eddie Van Halen and Sammy Hagar secretly reconciled earlier this year.
https://pagesix.com/2020/10/07/eddie-van-halen-and-sammy-hagar-secretly-reconciled-earlier-this-year/
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Was parking my car today and the DJ played "Love Walks In" in memory of Eddie. It was a moment, couldn't get out of the car until the song ended.
Question for my fellow Van Halen fans: If you wanted to properly represent Van Halen to someone who had never heard of them, what are the most important 3 songs you would have them listen to?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Jump. Only number one I think.
Right now. Huge 90s song
Eruption. Represented heart of van halens guitar playing.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600889 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?