Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector mgm05e private msg quote post Address this user
How much do tears affect grades? I have a book that looks like a 9.2-9.4, but on the last interior page it has a 3 inch tear down the center. Assuming this is a 9.2, what do you think the max grade it would get with that tear?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS grading guidelines state 9.2 - 9.4 inside pages can be cream/off white with the absence of other defects. I would imagine the large tear would take it down to a 9.0. CGC's grading guidelines are a bit more vague and Overstreet indicates a 9.2 allows for slight tears to interior pages and a 9.0 is allowed to have minor tears. I would say a 3" inch tear is closer to minor and go with a 9.0. Just my 2 cents.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector mgm05e private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
CBCS grading guidelines state 9.2 - 9.4 inside pages can be cream/off white with the absence of other defects. I would imagine the large tear would take it down to a 9.0. CGC's grading guidelines are a bit more vague and Overstreet indicates a 9.2 allows for slight tears to interior pages and a 9.0 is allowed to have minor tears. I would say a 3" inch tear is closer to minor and go with a 9.0. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the response! I was thinking it would be a much bigger impact than that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
3 inch TEAR is a major deduction; 1 inch tear maxes grade at 9.0 if otherwise perfect, so appears to be 1 point per inch. If otherwise 9.2, then should make it 6.0 with a checkmark for appearing better than grade.
Post 4 IP   flag post
597958 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?