Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Pricing for Raw Issues?13004

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, everyone.

What sources do ya'll use to determine sale values for modern raw comics? Obviously, there's Overstreet and eBay sales. Anything else?

Thanks for reading.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I use https://comicbookrealm.com primarily, along with https://gocollect.com as reference for volume and trends... both both are only stabs at raw issues... nothing but recent and multiple ebay sales has really served me at all.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@vacaboca Thanks! Does the free GoCollect show raw prices?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t have a problem pricing books, I usually use gocollect.com and MCS. The reason I use both is because since gocollect takes an average it can easily be skewed by a super low sale of a comic such as through an ebay auction. So I check gocollect fist then check MCS to see if they are close enough, if there is a large disparity they I use a middle ground. The problem I have is assigning a grade to the raw comic I don’t even pretend to have the skill to make the right grade choice.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@vacaboca Thanks! Does the free GoCollect show raw prices?

Unfortunately, it does not - even the non-free... I only use it as a reference for relative heat on various issues, and how frequently and recently they've been selling... and then through that, different ways people are selling them on ebay... nominally, I take my estimated grade for a raw issue, compare it to the gocollect FMV as well as specific sales prices, and then adjust down for grading costs and grading uncertainty. It's a total crapshoot - but that's my approach for pricing issues recently.

I go from there and decide how much I want to maximize value (i.e., setting a price and letting it sell when someone is willing to pay it via a Buy It Now or similar) or maximize ease and speed of sale (i.e., setting an undermarket price for a quick kill), or let it ride (basically at auction) if the market transaction frequency and interest seems to bear that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Dweeb - Try comicspriceguide.com. They show raw and slabbed prices and are a decent reference.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Be cautious with comicbookrealm as I've noticed it generally inflates prices, while comicspriceguide typically does not reflect the current values of books that may have seen a spike in value. I think a combination of eBay auctions/go collect/MCS listings are generally a much better resource and reflection of the current market for books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
I use https://comicbookrealm.com primarily, along with https://gocollect.com as reference for volume and trends... both both are only stabs at raw issues... nothing but recent and multiple ebay sales has really served me at all.

comicbookrealm.com is highly inaccurate. Never go by their values on raw books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect.com and most recent ebay completed "SOLD" prices are the best way to gauge book values for graded books. Ebay completed "SOLD" prices for raw books.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I use Comic Price Guide and eBay as reference for pricing raw books. Usually the median of CPG and the eBay over price works for me.

Graded I start with go collect, then reference CPG and eBay.

CPG is not accurate for most books. It seems pretty well kept for keys and hot books in certain grade ranges.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
I have found that checking MCS and eBay sold listings, gives you up to date info on pricing. If MCS is out of stock on a particular book, I will look at eBay sold listings. I look for both buy-it-now and auctions listings as auction listings tends to sell less than buy-it-now. I look for 1-2 weeks of buy-it-now or best offer taken and gives me a good average on sold price. I usually will follow up with checking a couple of other minor sources to see if the book is in stock and pricing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
You could try Covrprice.com. They have both graded and raw.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckets
I have found that checking MCS and eBay sold listings, gives you up to date info on pricing. If MCS is out of stock on a particular book, I will look at eBay sold listings. I look for both buy-it-now and auctions listings as auction listings tends to sell less than buy-it-now. I look for 1-2 weeks of buy-it-now or best offer taken and gives me a good average on sold price. I usually will follow up with checking a couple of other minor sources to see if the book is in stock and pricing.

I do pretty much exactly this. I don't sell raw books, so I'm usually pricing them for buying purposes rather than selling purposes. I also have to take into account that MCS is likely a better quality book than the grade would indicate. Not always, but 80-90% of the time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
What ever happened to Drek check? It wasn’t half bad.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
@DWeeB1967 Be cautious with comicbookrealm as I've noticed it generally inflates prices, while comicspriceguide typically does not reflect the current values of books that may have seen a spike in value. I think a combination of eBay auctions/go collect/MCS listings are generally a much better resource and reflection of the current market for books.

I don't disagree in the slightest - I started using it after spending quite some time using comicspriceguide.com, as a paid user of both... I think everything sucks, but I use it as part of my processes. I trust nothing by my own assessment of eBay activity primarily.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay sales only but if it is a rare enough book that has no eBay sales or listings that come up, I just decide to keep it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm

I had no idea sales data could be found on the MCS site, unless I purchased it myself. I'll have to look for that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input everyone. It seems like it was about what I figured: eBay sales and MCS with some GoCollect input (and other sources) to determine which books are most in demand.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I have all my books in CPG. It's primary purpose for me is a database. I wanted something to give me good round number on price. I know it's not perfect, but it gives me a starting point.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Since we're on the subject, here's a couple of cool uses I've found for GoCollect:

GoCollect allow you to create multiple "lists" and will give a value report if you assign a CGC Universal grade (grade can be real or estimated):

1) A separate List for all slabbed books that I own (input as CGC, even if they are CBCS).
2) A separate List for all books that I currently have at MCS for sale. (requires weekly updating).
3) A separate List for books that are awaiting slabbing or likely to be slabbed one day (helps me choose the books for my next submission).
4) A separate List for each of my raw runs, entered as CGC Universal with estimated grades.
5) My next project is to create a "Market Basket" List of 40-50 hand picked Key comics and check the Value Report every so often to see if the overall key comic book market is moving up or down. Kind of the way economists follow a consistent "basket" of specific consumer items each month to measure inflation. I probably will enter them all as a CGC 8.0 grade.
Post 20 IP   flag post
597975 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?