CBCS Graded

Impressively priced CBCS Batman 112948

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Where do you get this analysis (bold)?

I’m going off of IGB's legal complaint that kicked off the lawsuit and the more recent summary of CGC’s petition to appeal, that was denied.

1) IGB and Matt Nelson have a good working relationship. Not just as shown by complimentary emails by Nelson, but the fact that IPG’s books are designated as “professional” restoration.

2) Then IGB’s books begin getting higher CGC grades than CCS/Nelson’s work.

3) Nelson asks for a meeting (the so-called Trojan Horse meeting) and offers suggestions on a Batman 1 and what IGB could do to get an even higher grade. IGB does what’s suggested but the book comes back with the same grade. Then Nelson offers to press a restored IGB AF15. He says it’ll take a week. It takes nearly two months, during which time CCS/CGC spend weeks studying IGBs work, to the point of tearing off a corner of the cover. The book is repaired and comes back with the same grade. At this point, Nelson begins discouraging IGB from trying to get such high grades and IGB is hesitant to share any more proprietary techniques.

4) IGB continues to have books graded by CGC, which keep coming back with high grades, the “professional” designation, and Nelson’s emails are still complimentary.

5) Then...the plot twist...as IGB takes a Tec 29, restored by Nelson to a 6.5, and they take it higher. They send it in, and with Nelson’s dual role as head grader for CGC and President of CCS (conflict of interest), he spots his own work, sees that it’s been improved upon, and gives the newly restored book a surprisingly low grade.

6) IGB senses something is up, so they send the book to CBCS and it comes back a 9.0.

7) IGB stops sending books to CGC, and begins sending to CBCS, worried about Nelson's conflict of interest. CBCS continues giving the IGB books high grades.

7) Only then does Nelson go on the CGC boards and say they’re no longer grading IGB books because “It’s become hard to tell what is real and what is recreated.” He had no problem, up until the moment they touched one of his books. Then he went out and basically stated that he broke up with them before they broke up with him. His criticisms of their work found their way to Heritage, who stopped selling IPG books. The co-chairman of Heritage owns CGC, so again, conflict of interest. Depositions showed that Heritage employees circulated Nelson's criticisms without any actual evidence of what Nelson was saying.

Thanks.

If CCS can't tell how something was restored, is it reasonable to assume that they can't tell the difference between the original and the restored? That's kinda where I'm going.

I can't tell the difference between some originals and professionally restored. I see some reasonable conflicts of interest, but I also see some reason to think they (CGC) may have a legitimate argument. Heritage, maybe not so much.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Well --- one of the many suspect things about Investment Grade books and their restorations is that YOU CANNOT send them the mid grade, already restored books you have in your collection to have them improved. THAT IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS MODEL. They do not do work for hire like virtually every other restoration professional.

I don't believe that's entirely accurate, as they have taken on other books. I'm guessing that it's more accurate to say that's their most profitable business model? Or where they spend most of their time, because that's how they make big money.

I can't fault them for having a profit motive, or a business model that is different than Restoration Lab, because ultimately, they're not grading their work. What's sketchy to me is having Matt Nelson serve as head grader and President of CCS, where he's in a position to grade his own work. And the co-chair of Heritage owning CGC. And that guy has a verifiable history of fraud.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
If CCS can't tell how something was restored, is it reasonable to assume that they can't tell the difference between the original and the restored? That's kinda where I'm going.

I totally get that. Matt Nelson is incredible at what he does. I have a hard time believing anyone could fool him.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I don't mind minor amount of glue or color touch but this is buffoonery.

Avoid these books like the plague. You won't know what you are buying. My 2¢
Post 29 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Quote:

I totally get that. Matt Nelson is incredible at what he does. I have a hard time believing anyone could fool him.

Was IGB requesting that Nelson personally examine and grade their books at both CCS and CGC? That doesn't sound ethical to me. That removes impartiality IMO. That shouldn't be requested nor obliged.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Was IGB requesting that Nelson personally examine and grade their books at both CCS and CGC? That doesn't sound ethical to me. That removes impartiality IMO. That shouldn't be requested nor obliged.

I don't think they were requesting that he grade their books. I think the grey area of their concerns were that they didn't know what Nelson's role was as they were working with him at CCS. It was after the lawsuit was filed that he officially moved from President of CCS to Head Grader at CGC, but in reality, they're all in the same building, so who knows where the line is drawn. When IGB improved on a book CCS had restored and sent it to CGC for grading, CCS (Nelson) should not have been involved, but it sounds like he was. With that perceived conflict of interest, they switched to CBCS. (This is if I'm reading the legal briefs correctly...)
Post 31 IP   flag post
598088 31 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?