Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

I vote to abolish grades 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.81293

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Really... what's the deal with these? The differences between them could be absorbed by a 9.0 and 9.5 system. I'm also tired of chasing 9.8's; it's driving me crazy.

9.2 and 9.4 would merge with 9.0 while 9.6 and 9.8 would become 9.5.

9.9 would also get the boot, and 10 would be a unicorn.
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I think a unicorn may as well have started this thread.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think that is the answer.

That grading is already in place for figures. Granted, it does clean up the scale a bit....but I sort of like knowing that a book could be one of 4+ different NM statuses....all depending upon the finer details.

I got sick and tired of chasing 9.8 books, and have realized that a 9.6 is really not much different, and a bit more economical for my pocket book.

Do I chase 9.6 books?....Nah....I've been having fun for the past 30 years with just buying what I like, and have realized that I don't need to "keep up with the Joneses" in order to have fun.

I've had so many great opps in the past, I don't need to chase things any more.....If I happen across a good deal, I'll take advantage of it.

I know....there are some VERY SERIOUS collectors out here in the industry.....I'll let them be.....in fact, I probably don't deserve to be rated in that level anyhow....*winks*.....I wouldn't fit in.

:o)

Good luck.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes I think more options in the 8.0-9.0 range would be nice because I have seen huge variation in what qualifies as an 8.5. Just a thought, though I doubt it would be worth the added hassle when most people are trying to land in the 9 range.
Post 4 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Really... what's the deal with these. The differences between them could be absorbed by a 9.0 and 9.5 system. I'm also tired of chasing 9.8's; it's driving me crazy.

9.2 and 9.4 would merge with 9.0 while 9.6 and 9.8 would become 9.5.

9.9 would also get the boot, and 10 would be a unicorn.

Your vote has been heard and counted.
One.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
The votes just doubled.

I agree with the original poster, and I also like the thoughts of TheMaxx35.

A long time ago, I realized there is NO APPRECIABLE DIFFERENCE between a 9.8 and a 9.6 (on any given day) And that any copper or modern book not in one of those categories, is a reader copy. Not worth being professionally graded and encapsulated. Even if it is a third print of Hulk #377, or whatever variant around.

Now, when it comes to golden age and silver age. Those grades are something else entirely. Bronze is a problem area. It is on the cusp and I don't have a good answer for them.

But it is too late now. It is what it is.
Post 6 IP   flag post
For those people who can't see an appreciable difference between a 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8, get glasses or learn how to grade because the differences are there.

On the other hand, 9.9s and 10s are, in my opinion, made up grades. In some instances, and with certain grading companies, I think they are given out based on the submitter's submission tier and their ability to kiss ass.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
For those people who can't see an appreciable difference between a 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8, get glasses or learn how to grade because the differences are there.

On the other hand, 9.9s and 10s are, in my opinion, made up grades. In some instances, and with certain grading companies, I think they are given out based on the submitter's submission tier and their ability to kiss ass.

Agreed 🍻
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:

So you are saying that when you submit a book for grading above 9.0, you already know what grade it is going to be given by CBCS?

Congratulations on your excellent eyesight and insight.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

So you are saying that when you submit a book for grading above 9.0, you already know what grade it is going to be given by CBCS?

Pretty much and thank you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I think discerning between 9.8/9.9 is crazee and impossible. I've owned some 9.9s and submitted some perfect looking books that came back as 9.8.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Every book I've submitted, I knew ahead of time, that it would be graded above 9.0.....I wouldn't have submitted them otherwise.

Now for a recent SW #1 I submitted....I'm using the eyes of the submitter - whom I pass my books through. He called it a very nice book, so I accepted his expertise in the field.

I submitted a 1996 Valiant Heroes Special (stand alone) Preview edition to him once, and he called it as 9.4. It came back as a 9.6.

http://www.valiantfan.com/issue/show/vhs

....and yes I understand....one persons perception can be quite different than another's.

I think it is very wise to examine any books yourself before submitting, so you also can get a perspective on what the grade would actually be.

a link someone recently posted in another forum....a "Defects" link with pictures of the defects, is a very good starting point for all who are submitting.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

No surprise there.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
I think discerning between 9.8/9.9 is crazee and impossible. I've owned some 9.9s and submitted some perfect looking books that came back as 9.8.

Those darn pesky corners can be a bitch, huh?

:o)
Post 15 IP   flag post
I've always wondered how one grades a book as a 10.0 though. Wouldn't opening the book during grading cause some kind of defect?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I've always wondered how one grades a book as a 10.0 though. Wouldn't opening the book during grading cause some kind of defect?

Or even touching the book w/human hands!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
To see these astronomical price differences between an Albedo #2 9.8 at almost $10,000 compared to an Albedo #2 9.2 which can go for as low as $2000 is crazy!

Wouldn't it seem more likely on modern books than 1960s books though?
Post 18 IP   flag post
"Every book I've submitted, I knew ahead of time, that it would be graded above 9.0.....I wouldn't have submitted them otherwise."

Not sure what this has to do with the current discussion. It is easy to say a book is over or under a 9.0 But obviously you don't submit many golden age books.

I haven't submitted a book less than twenty years old, ever. And 98% of my submissions are older than 30 years.

But to each his own.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Correct "Condition"...i have not submitted any book older than Copper. I do have older books, just not willing to submit them yet.

I wrote:
"Every book I've submitted, I knew ahead of time, that it would be graded above 9.0.....I wouldn't have submitted them otherwise."

Not sure what this has to do with the current discussion. It is easy to say a book is over or under a 9.0 But obviously you don't submit many golden age books.

It was just a personal opinion and insight. Basically stating that I can see defects and can sort of figure out a grade based upon the deductions of those defects.

Nothing more, nothing less. You can read it and interpret it as you choose.

To each his own, huh?

Thanks for responding.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone who thinks the argument in this thread actually has merit needs to purchase and read the Overstreet Grading Guide. And then read it again...And then read it again...And then read it again...Sorry, my record broke there for a second.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Can someone please provide me a link to the grading criteria used by either CBCS or CGC?

Or is it just assumed they and everyone else on the planet, use the Overstreet grading guidelines?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Can someone please provide me a link to the grading criteria used by either CBCS or CGC?

Or is it just assumed they and everyone else on the planet, use the Overstreet grading guidelines?

Here you go: https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades
Post 23 IP   flag post
Close, but no cigar.

For instance. how do you differentiate between a 7.5 and an 8.5? Opinion? If it is raining that day? Six stress marks versus four stress marks on the spine? Age of the book?

"VERY FINE / NEARMINT 9.0 to 7.5

9.0 - VERY FINE / NEARMINT+

8.5 - VERY FINE+

8.0 - VERY FINE

7.5 - VERY FINE-

A VERY FINE comic book appears to have been read a few times and has been handled with care. These grades allow for some more defects than higher grades. Overall an above average copy and still very collectible.
•Some of the above defects along with a fold or crease in the cover that breaks color.
•Some stress marks on spine.
•A few small chips on the cover.
•The cover has some slight surface wear but still has much of its original gloss and there is nothing major wrong with it.
•Sun shadows, dust shadows and tanning can be darker and have more of a visual impact than those in higher grades."
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Close, but no cigar.

For instance. how do you differentiate between a 7.5 and an 8.5? Opinion? If it is raining that day? Six stress marks versus four stress marks on the spine? Age of the book?

"VERY FINE / NEARMINT 9.0 to 7.5

9.0 - VERY FINE / NEARMINT+

8.5 - VERY FINE+

8.0 - VERY FINE

7.5 - VERY FINE-

A VERY FINE comic book appears to have been read a few times and has been handled with care. These grades allow for some more defects than higher grades. Overall an above average copy and still very collectible.
•Some of the above defects along with a fold or crease in the cover that breaks color.
•Some stress marks on spine.
•A few small chips on the cover.
•The cover has some slight surface wear but still has much of its original gloss and there is nothing major wrong with it.
•Sun shadows, dust shadows and tanning can be darker and have more of a visual impact than those in higher grades."

Just because they don't detail the exact way that it's done, doesn't mean that there isn't an internal guide. I can say that I own one book in a CGC 9.6 and a CBCS 9.9, and the 9.9's condition is noticeably better. Not that the 9.6 is in bad shape, it's darn good. But you can absolutely see a difference between them.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Wacker23 private msg quote post Address this user
If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Of course my thread was mostly tongue in cheek, but anything that starts a good discussion is worth it. It's fun to add a little excitement to a forum whose main topic is the condition of pieces of paper.
Post 27 IP   flag post
All just passing time, and sharing the hobby.

But telling the difference between a 9.9 and a 9.6 is relatively easy. Telling the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is a lot tougher. At least in my experience.

Like the label says. It is opinion and subjective.

It is not science, or written in stone. A Mint book today, nothing like a mint book of yesteryear. And it will change again in the future. I am sure of that. Heck, if I remember correctly. Overstreet never went past NM in their guide.

But like I said. All in enjoying a discussion about the hobby. There are no absolute right or wrong answers when it comes to close grades. I remember an Action Comics #1 that was clearly a .5, or at best a 1.0,that was given a 2.5 by CGC. Even though the grading standards have not been changed since then (as far as we know). Borock later said it was a mistake, or he regretted it, or something like that (while at CGC).

Big book probably was a factor, I think. Which is not supposed to figure into the equation. But what else could it have been.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

No surprise there.

Steve Ricketts is absolutely right.

CBCS and CGC do not dole out 9.9's and 10's to those who "kiss ass".Or for any other reason than that the book in question merits the assigned grade of 9.9 or 10.

Both grading companies safegaurd the 9.9/10 grades.It is in CGC's and CBCS's best interest to do so, not the other way around.If CGC/CBCS were the slightest bit loose in "doling out" 9.9 or 10's, they would quickly lose market confidence.

PGX...not so much.

That is why PGX 9.9 and 10 books aren't worth a damn in the open market.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector manwithoutfear private msg quote post Address this user
I might be able to discern what the grading companies think 9.4-9.8 is, but honestly there is not much difference.

I saw a post where someone said 9.8 prices were taking a hit recently. I think that would be a good thing. The prices they commanded were a bit silly honestly.

9 or above is great in any age.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597897 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?