Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Cover Weirdness - Thoughts?12890

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I recently picked up a copy of FF #68 for what I think was a very good price. Unfortunately, in looking at the book before I bought it, I overlooked the detail shown in the attached pictures.

I'm curious what y'all make of this. The top of the cover looks almost like it's been trimmed at a slant and had a white piece attached to it to make the cover straight. There's even a line that looks like a joint between the blue cover and the white "addition."

The book has been graded, though, and the label isn't green or purple. It seems to me that, if this were restoration, it would have been obvious to the grader.

So, like I said, I figured I'd toss it out there and see what you guys thought. Restoration or just an unusual printing defect? Thanks in advance.

Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
It's a mis-cut akin to a mis-wrap. I've got a Silver Surfer book with a severe mis-cut.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector daredevilart private msg quote post Address this user
I think you've got a copy with a very off-center cover. Looking at other copies of #68 the imagery on your book looks very low in the frame. So low in fact that your seeing "garbage" that would normally not be seen. A perfectly cut/cropped copy would have been cut just below that black line.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
That's just the border of the original printed sheet. The cover is trimmed out during production, and they missed (by a bit). You will notice how much room there is at the top, over the Title. That means some of the bottom was probably trimmed short, presuming the comic is still standard height. It's a production flaw, not usually counted against the comic in grading except in very high top level grades. Then it might come into play, as people expect the high 9's to be near perfect.

The magenta lines you see as a "joint" are the registration lines that target where the cover is supposed to go on the sheet. They got that right, just missed with the actual cutting. It's not uncommon on comics of the period.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC @daredevilart

Thanks, guys.

That's what I thought. Had I noticed it when I bought it, I probably would have passed on it. Still, I did get it cheap (probably because of the miscut cover) and I needed it to fill a hole in my slowly building FF 1-100 run, so I'm good with it.

Plus, it's cheap enough and easy enough to find that I can replace it without too much trouble if I decide to do so.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Its still a great book! Love those early FF books and it's an 8.5...great grade!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks, @chester15.

🍺🍺
Post 7 IP   flag post
@GAC Thanks, GAC. Kirby absolutely had his "A" game going for his FF stuff.
Post 8 IP   flag post
602868 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?