Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

CGC, CBCS, and case of the Serious Squarebound screw-ups from "shipping".12884

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
If this is a well known problem with square bound comics why hasn't a better case been designed for these? Makes no sense to keep encapsulating them with such a high probability the corners will get damaged.

This is only true of square bound books with overhang. GS X-Men 1 is classic for overhang, while many SBB are cut properly and do not have this issue. Even a regular comic with overhang will get damage or inward curling based on the way it is stored.

Oh, ok...I understand. I have a solution...place a thin sheet of (backing board or larger acid free paper?) Between the front a back covers that over hangs just enough so if the comic gets bumped it will not hit against the corners.

That sounds like it could 'anchor' the cover while allowing the book to move, and that could result in popped staples.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
You know what? I've got one more VF/NMish GSX1 left... I think I'm going to send that one to PGX, just for the hell of it. Let's see if they're the only comic grading company that doesn't bend my squarebound corners!

After multiple submissions you've learned this specific issue is problematic, but you do love to roll the dice, huh?

Post 27 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy

Thing is, without grading it, you can't get the best return on the book. It sucks but what choice do you have if you want the most money for your books?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Siggy

Thing is, without grading it, you can't get the best return on the book. It sucks but what choice do you have if you want the most money for your books?

1) Not PGX.

2) Someone besides PGX.

3) Anyone other than PGX.

4) All of the above.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
@Siggy

1) Not PGX.

2) Not PGX.

3) Not PGX.

4) All of the above.

That I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If this is a well known problem with square bound comics why hasn't a better case been designed for these? Makes no sense to keep encapsulating them with such a high probability the corners will get damaged.

This is only true of square bound books with overhang. GS X-Men 1 is classic for overhang, while many SBB are cut properly and do not have this issue. Even a regular comic with overhang will get damage or inward curling based on the way it is stored.

Oh, ok...I understand. I have a solution...place a thin sheet of (backing board or larger acid free paper?) Between the front a back covers that over hangs just enough so if the comic gets bumped it will not hit against the corners.

That sounds like it could 'anchor' the cover while allowing the book to move, and that could result in popped staples.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Surely there is a way to anchor the comic so the corners do not get damaged. Maybe wrapping the comic in a hard but thin sturdy clear wrap similar to how they do library books, folding over front and back cover...wouldnt make staples pop and would add an extra layer of protection.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
So, you valued it at $2k, and are pissed that they'll buy it off of you at what you valued it for...?

Correct me if I'm wrong there.

I valued it at $2k because I am not a professional grader, and the spine looked wonky as hell to me. Apparently, all the wrinkly goodness and top and bottom micro tears are normal on a squarebound. $2000 is the entry point for Express books valued at $2000 to $3000. As far as I could tell, that's where it fit. If their pre-grader/receiving people thought I undervalued it, they sure as sh*t would have bumped it up into the walkthrough tier.

The ENTIRE PURPOSE of sending it to them is so that THEY could tell ME what its grade is. They are the professionals. Once they have established the grade THEN its FMV can be accurately defined. Feel free to try and sell your own books with your own grade on them in your own case, see how well they do at market.

At the end of the day, it's either their process or their case design that took a book that people are now paying $9000 for, and destroying that value. I didn't do it, USPS didn't do it. They say the book left Sarasota in 9.6 shape, well then there's no other explanation than they having a CRAP design that has a high potential to ruin valuable books, and they KNOW it.

Tying the value of the book to whatever the client says its worth is ridiculous. Put the shoe on the other foot. Had I put $20K as the value, do you think they would have paid that out on a 9.6 book? No, there's no way they would have. They would have scrounged up a 9.4, put it in a 9.6 case and sent me that. Or maybe they would have taken a book they screwed up just like mine from some poor sucker who took the $2K payout based on what he thought it was worth, pressed it, put it in a 9.6 case and handed it over to me. Pure speculation, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to cut corners, save money and keep their insurance premiums down by doing precisely that. Good thing they own a pressing company too.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If GSX #1 is notorious for overhang, reputable grading companies should deem those books (i.e. with overhang), as “unslabbable” and send the book back to the customer.

Wedging it into a slab, fingers crossed that it doesn’t shift and bend during shipping, is not the answer.

And no, it’s not up to the customer to know that slabbing may damage that particular book, it’s up to the grading company to know the restrictions of their slabs.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Siggy

1) Not PGX.

2) Not PGX.

3) Not PGX.

4) All of the above.

You know, it's kinda funny. I bought a 6.0 PGX Amazing Spider-Man #14 last year. Cracked it out, and gave it to a presser. He tore out a 1/4 square piece off the back edge. It came back last month a CGC 6.5 universal.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
If GSX #1 is notorious for overhang, reputable grading companies should deem those books (i.e. with overhang), as “unslabbable” and send the book back to the customer.

Wedging it into a slab, fingers crossed that it doesn’t shift and bend during shipping, is not the answer.

And no, it’s not up to the customer to know that slabbing may damage that particular book, it’s up to the grading company to know the restrictions of their slabs.

Exactly! 9540 GSX1's in the census versus 2 in my census. They should damn well know better, but at the end of the day, it's me who ends up the loser.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Siggy

1) Not PGX.

2) Not PGX.

3) Not PGX.

4) All of the above.

I'm not saying 'don't get it graded', but with overhang I honestly can't see what can be done to guarantee this to not happen, simply because no all books are like this.

No one wants bigger slabs in order to make more room- Besides, more room allows the book to gain momentum if dropped (because shit does happen). No one wants the books squeezed vice-tight in place, and (IMO) slipping something thin, and it would have to be thin, between the book and front/back covers won't help since it would probably just fold with the cover when whatever is happening happens. I doubt MC paper would prevent it, and would very likely be more visible than the smaller sheets that sometimes come into view, and I doubt anyone likes those.

Any submission is the roll of the dice, but some books get 3-sided dice, and others up to 20. Perhaps with GSX1 it should be "any submission is a flip of the coin," but I think that's a bit much. OP's recent experience is likely just the law of averages unfortunately working against him.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Siggy

1) Not PGX.

2) Not PGX.

3) Not PGX.

4) All of the above.

You know, it's kinda funny. I bought a 6.0 PGX Amazing Spider-Man #14 last year. Cracked it out, and gave it to a presser. He tore out a 1/4 square piece off the back edge. It came back last month a CGC 6.5 universal.

Even a broken clock is right 2x a day......
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
If GSX #1 is notorious for overhang, reputable grading companies should deem those books (i.e. with overhang), as “unslabbable” and send the book back to the customer...

...And no, it’s not up to the customer to know that slabbing may damage that particular book, it’s up to the grading company to know the restrictions of their slabs.

Books worth $2000+ should be thoroughly researched before giving them over to be serviced, shouldn't they?

But perhaps the companies shouldn't grade any book with a certain amount of overhang, and return those books once they've been processed, checked over, determined to have just a little too much compared to that last GSX1 that didn't, and then separated from the others in the submission that are okay, even though that number of returns could be huge since the customer shouldn't have to know what kind of problems overhang can maybe cause (sometimes), but that sounds expensive and time consuming. Should they take the needed time from graders, or hire more people for this task? Longer TAT's or higher submission fees- Pick your poison, but be careful as their may not even be a choice, and you get both.

And who would pay for the return shipping? If the companies say they will not grade GSX1's, or any comic with a certain amount of overhang, and a customer submits anyway, why would the company pay for it? And I can only imagine the backlash from customers being charged shipping fees to get perhaps all their books back un-serviced.

Or customers can just realize that "wedging" paper between plastic and having multiple people handling it while shipping it hundreds or thousands of miles can be problematic. More for some than others.

Apologies if that comes off as brusk, but it would be a nightmare. You think this post is irritating? Try making it work.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Surely there is a way to anchor the comic so the corners do not get damaged.

Don't call me surely

Post 40 IP   flag post
597866 40 15
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.