Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Odinson2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I was anxiously awaiting their extremely strict slab grading in anticipation of a bundle of books I’m putting in the October prime...and almost nothing was noted. Only one of my books had any notation of scuffs or scratches, compared to 8-10 in the July prime which all had various comments.

I keep my books all together and most of the slabs in both groups were less than a year old.

Something has definitely changed, it feels like.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to derail a bit here, but how do you send your stuff to them? Are you writing anything specific for Customs related documents?
Post 2 IP   flag post
It’s all laid out on their site in great detail. All I have to do is print out the very basic selling form, package the books and mail it to Texas and they do everything else from there. Customer service is amazing (as many here can attest to).

I only sell for store credit, so I just mark “trade” in the blank on the postal customs form.

Any other questions, just let me know anytime.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson2000
I was anxiously awaiting their extremely strict slab grading in anticipation of a bundle of books I’m putting in the October prime...and almost nothing was noted. Only one of my books had any notation of scuffs or scratches, compared to 8-10 in the July prime which all had various comments.

I keep my books all together and most of the slabs in both groups were less than a year old.

Something has definitely changed, it feels like.

@Odinson2000 I'm a little confused. From my experience they note blemishes on slabs, but don't say anything if there are not blemishes. Are you saying you think your slabs probably had more blemishes than what was noted by MCS?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
It does seem to come in waves. I actually prefer to see those notations a lot. It helps normalize it, since SO many CGC slabs have scuff marks and such. (I'm pretty sure they scuff them on purpose to prevent the Newton Ring optical effect.)
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was mostly on CBCS cases that had zero handling and were in bags the whole time. Now, this auction has a bunch from the same batch with no scuff or scratch notations at all.

Just seemed odd to me. I’ve put slabs in auction at mcs for over a year and this is the first time they all came back “clean”.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson2000
It was mostly on CBCS cases that had zero handling and were in bags the whole time. Now, this auction has a bunch from the same batch with no scuff or scratch notations at all.

Just seemed odd to me. I’ve put slabs in auction at mcs for over a year and this is the first time they all came back “clean”.

Wait a minute ... CBCS cases were scuffed? I haven't heard that, ever, about their cases. (But I haven't switched back yet to CBCS.)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Does MCS list Newton Rings? I would like to have that information as much as a scuffed or damaged case?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
Does MCS list Newton Rings? I would like to have that information as much as a scuffed or damaged case?

They do mention in their eBay listings that Newton rings are a possibility.

I sent them 40 mixed slabs between CBCS and those other guys. Quite a few from both were listed with scuffs. I don't know what they see but they looked good when I sent them down. They also look good in the scans. I think it's just them covering themselves in case of buyer's remorse or something.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I swear their "slab grading" affected my auction results. I sent in CBCS slabs that were in bags, FYI.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I have bought a number of graded books from MCS and they showed up with wicked newton rings. I was pretty pissed. One was so bad, I thought some wetness got in under the case cover and was causing the discoloration. Noting that would be really great.
Post 11 IP   flag post
600741 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?