Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

What is this and will dry clean portion of Press help?12882

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I recently picked up a run of Lone Wolf & Cub to read and enjoy. To varying degrees, each issue has some type spotting on the front and back covers. You cannot see it unless you angle for some light reflection. (see photos). I don't know if this is manufacture thing or some type of mold. None of my collection has ever had this.

Any thoughts here?

Here are few spots that can be seen in the light glare to the right of the foot. Now you see them...

Now you don't...But instead at this angle you see them in the U of Cub and between the face and Title.

And on the back cover, now you see them...

Now you don't

Will dry clean from press process remove?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not sure what that is. It almost looks like something scraped the back of the book resulting in some color loss. If that’s what it is then cleaning wouldn’t help.

If it is some sort of substance that had dried on top of the book then a cleaning would help.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite That's just it, there is no color loss.

That said, I just Fracked that #2 issue as I just pulled it back out of the bag and board to look at with a magnifying glass and stupidly set it down on the adhesive of the bag.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator - Ouch! I was thinking it could be small water drops/moisture damage possibly?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@dielinfinite That's just it, there is no color loss.

That said, I just Fracked that #2 issue as I just pulled it back out of the bag and board to look at with a magnifying glass and stupidly set it down on the adhesive of the bag.

You've just hurt me emotionally.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator do any of the books smell
Musky at all? Mold can not grow with out the presence of moister which would leave a musky smell.

If it were me I would attempt to clean the white back covers with an eraser, but if it is not surface grime this will not help. I could send you a piece of The appropriate type eraser If you want to try. DM me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
No smell and no feel of texture / grime when running bare or gloved finger over them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Those adhesive bags are literally the devil. I can't believe that they were invented.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Looks almost like ink transfer from the rollers.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Sorry, I mean gloss loss...is that the term?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I apologize for hijacking your thread, but has anyone ever seen an old Lone Wolf and Cub movie (presumably from Japan)? I had no idea they existed until I saw one on cable last year. It was freaking awesome. If you like the comic, go find the movies. I'm guessing probably from the '60s-'70s.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Looks almost like ink transfer from the rollers.

Seems that way, or some artifact of production. I have seen many books grade out 9.8 with these issues.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics - Thank you for the input. I would ask though, those that you have seen in a 9.8, would that be from CBCS or your cgc?
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@CFP_Comics - Thank you for the input. I would ask though, those that you have seen in a 9.8, would that be from CBCS or your cgc?

CGC
Post 14 IP   flag post
598059 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?