Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

NFL week 2 picks and discussion thread12871

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Lions need a coach who can get players to buy into a system and play fundamental football. I look at them like I did the Bengals when we hired Marvin Lewis after the 2002 season. Team was in shambles, he came in, got the young guys to buy in to his philosophy and got veterans to come in and help lead. He was a breath of fresh air for the team. He was never going to be the guy to get the team over the hump and had the job way too long but he was what the franchise needed at the time. Coaches like Caldwell and Garrett are similar to that as well. They get them in the right direction and then you find the guy who will take them over the hump like a Tony Dungy or a Dallas-era Jimmy Johnson. Patricia just seems inept. He should have been fired by now. As a Bengals fan, I do sympathize with Lions fans. I feel like we all know what we're going through.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Lions need a coach who can get players to buy into a system and play fundamental football. I look at them like I did the Bengals when we hired Marvin Lewis after the 2002 season. Team was in shambles, he came in, got the young guys to buy in to his philosophy and got veterans to come in and help lead. He was a breath of fresh air for the team. He was never going to be the guy to get the team over the hump and had the job way too long but he was what the franchise needed at the time. Coaches like Caldwell and Garrett are similar to that as well. They get them in the right direction and then you find the guy who will take them over the hump like a Tony Dungy or a Dallas-era Jimmy Johnson. Patricia just seems inept. He should have been fired by now. As a Bengals fan, I do sympathize with Lions fans. I feel like we all know what we're going through.

I very much agree, but the other problem with having that "good enough" coach is there are a lot of those guys out there, and not many of the great ones.

You've got Belichek in NE, REid in KC (and he was one of those "good enough" guys until last year), maybe Sean McVay, Pete Carroll, and that's about it.

Having a competent coach who gets you to the playoff each year is helpful. You can't win it if you're not in it, but it's very much like being a 7-8 seed in the NBA.

What's the point of getting to the playoffs just to get bounced out?

It's a really tough position to be in, and I feel empathy for any fanbase that's in it.

Studley, at least you aren't still dealing with the Akili smith, David Klingler level draft picks anymore...
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Watching the MNF pregame show, and Allegiant Stadium is just magnificent. Until tonight I've only seen pics of the outside.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Ed Hochuli's son is the ref for MNF. He needs to hit the gym because he looks scrawny. Ed probably doesn't claim him.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Saints up, so far.

I might actually get away with a clean sweep...which probably means I go 0 fer next week. Lol!
Post 55 IP   flag post

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley LOL!! You could tell that Ed hit the gym!!!

@Pre_Coder I love the black scheme and the torch!!

@Jabberwookie and just like that, the Raiders score!!! LOL
Post 56 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Ed Hochuli's son is the ref for MNF. He needs to hit the gym because he looks scrawny. Ed probably doesn't claim him.

LMAO... No kidding!
Post 57 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Saints up, so far.

I might actually get away with a clean sweep...which probably means I go 0 fer next week. Lol!

Spoke to soon, Raiders went up, but still a lot if time left.
Post 58 IP   flag post
I picked NO for the win but I've been rooting for LV.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder yep, me too!!! I'm glad they won their first game in their new stadium!!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I have a hard time saying Las Vegas Raiders, but they probably were the perfect team to send to that city. The fan noise I heard on TV would indicate that they are being well received there
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Saints up, so far.

15-1 is still pretty darn good. Congrats! Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that is a new forum record. To the best of my recollection 14-1-1 was the best mark posted last season. You should be proud of yourself, brother!

I think I am going to make Las Vegas my new adopted team. Not sure how that is going to work, but I do like their personnel and their colors, and they won’t play the Lions for another three years. Plus they are technically a new team, so I can say I have been a fan from the beginning. Go Raiders!
Post 62 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I've just received an urgent message from the 1972 Miami Dolphins regarding the blown 16-0 week:

Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders LMAO🤣🤣🤣🤣
Post 64 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp

Well, I tried!

I got lucky as hell, though.

@flanders Ha ha ha!

I thought heard some champagne popping last night.
Post 65 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
I have a hard time saying Las Vegas Raiders, but they probably were the perfect team to send to that city. The fan noise I heard on TV would indicate that they are being well received there

Post 67 IP   flag post
@zdoes10

Loving that spreadsheet!

Thanks for doing that!
Post 68 IP   flag post
Congrats @Jabberwookie!!! Like @michaelekrupp said, I'm pretty sure that is a forum record!!!
Post 69 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

Thanks, sir!

I'd like to claim I'm really smart, but it was just luck.

Needing that miraculous comeback, the Chiefs to kick TWO 58 yard field goals, the last minute stop by Seattle, if I could actually see all that happening, I'd be much richer...

I just want to give a shoutout to several people who were right on my heels. A lot of good picks this past week.

And, don't think I don't see Mr. Lonestar quietly keeping pace...

I expect a fun season!
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
@zdoes10

Loving that spreadsheet!

Thanks for doing that!

Thank you. Had fun doing it.
Post 71 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@zdoes10 Fantastic spreadsheet!! Thank you!!
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I think I am going to make Las Vegas my new adopted team. Not sure how that is going to work, but I do like their personnel and their colors, and they won’t play the Lions for another three years. Plus they are technically a new team, so I can say I have been a fan from the beginning. Go Raiders!

I talked about this with some guys at work on iconic sports logos/uniforms in North America. We were pretty much in unanimous agreement that the Raiders home look is the most awesome. black jerseys, silver pants, and that legendary logo. That new stadium looks amazing as well.
Post 73 IP   flag post
601460 73 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?