Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Would anyone be interested in a Comic Inspired Creative Writing Thread?12869

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The weekly drawing thread seems to be popular, would there be similar interest in a creative writing thread? Comic inspired stuff, paragraphs, not pages?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be interested in reading it not in the writing aspect, i have no talent for such things. so thumbs up from me also I dig the drawing thread.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
I'd be interested in reading it not in the writing aspect, i have no talent for such things. so thumbs up from me also I dig the drawing thread.

Same here, I'm looking forward to reading any submissions.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

Same here, I'm looking forward to reading any submissions.

It's kind of liking dancing, or talking to girls...gonna need to get a little beer in me first.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I’m in. How do you want to do it? Have one person write a few paragraphs and then another writer continue the story, like a round robin? Maybe a story set up could be provided with different writers working out their own endings? Or a character or theme could be provided for everyone to work out a story around? I am up for whatever, really. Just let me know what you all decide and I will participate.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp I was thinking of something pretty simple for starters. Maybe just share any comic book inspired short stories that have been kicking around in your head. Doesn't even have to be a complete story, maybe just story ideas or even alternate ending ideas. Maybe just share storyline ideas that you wish you could present to the publishing companies to be fully fleshed out by a professional writer.

For starters, here's a fun one I've thought about for years for a Marvel/DC Crossover:
In the desperate times of "Days of Future Past" the surviving mutants are able to get communication through to the DC Universe (Maybe they use the Ghost Box if anyone remembers that storyline). They get the attention of the Justice League, who are convinced to travel to the Marvel Universe to join in the war against the Sentinels, who have not been programmed for the abilities of the Justice League.
Post 6 IP   flag post
OK, here's my first shot at a short story. Inspired by a recent purchase of my first ever Mark Jeweler insert comic:

1975- 19 year old PFC Daniel Jackson returns to the barracks with a copy of Fantastic Four #164. He does not notice the first appearance of Crusader. He never reads about the first appearance of Frankie Raye. He opens directly to the Jewelry ads and looks at the engagement rings. He thinks about the 5 years of monthly payments that will keep him from buying the used Mustang he had his sights on. He thinks about the beautiful and amazing pregnant girl he has known for less than 90 days. He thinks about a wedding, and how quickly one can be planned. He wonders how soon the girl will be able to go back to work after the baby is born. He thinks about condoms, and how they could have prevented all this. For the first time in his life he thinks about the concept of time travel...he wonders how real it is and how soon the technology will be available. He falls asleep and dreams of time travel.
2020- A comic collector receives his recent Ebay purchase of Fantastic Four #164. It's the first appearance of Crusader as well as Frankie Rae. But what's really cool is that it has a Mark Jeweler insert, something he has always wanted. The book arrives quickly, well packaged and in nearly-as-described condition. It was described as a VF+, but VF- probably would have been more accurate. But it's ok because the photos had prepared him for this. He leaves positive feedback and hopes the seller will do the same. A few states away 65 year old Daniel Jackson calls his oldest son in Texas. He wishes him a happy 45th birthday. They talk about the grandkids. They talk about the Corona Virus and the lockdown. They talk about the upcoming election and Daniels approaching retirement from the Postal Service. They talk about the boys mother, now on her 3rd marriage, 70 pounds overweight and suffering failing health after 50 years of smoking. Daniel again mentions that he quit smoking almost 40 years ago. The money he saved from cigarettes allowed him to buy the used station wagon that they took on family trips in the summer. The father and son promise to try to get together for Thanksgiving if it's safe to fly by then. Daniel says it's been too long, and he would love to see the grandkids again. The comic collector looks over his newly recieved purchase and considers whether a Clean and Press will improve the grade enough to make it worth Slabbing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I’m working on something.

The basics are: Robin Caxton is the son of a famous children’s author by the name of C.W. Caxton.

For many years during the 70s abs 80s, CW wrote stories about his son and his adventures with his animal friends in Happy Woods.

CW died, and Robin went about living his life and creating a family.

Robin had a son named Charlie, and he never read the animal stories to him.

One day,Charlie goes missing.

After the police are called, Robin notices what looks like the markings of an animal...

I need to flesh this out much more, but those are the basics.

What ends up happening is Happy Woods was brought into existence by CW, and after 25 years of neglect, the imaginary animals miss having playmates.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller What you are talking about (in post 6) is a springboard, basically an idea for a story to be written around. Here’s my idea for a completely off the cuff multi issue epic:

While defending the Earth from an inter dimensional invasion, Doctor Strange is forced to use his mystic Eye of Agamotto to seal the dimensional breach and stop the invading forces. He is successful but the effort requires so much power that the Eye of Agamotto shatters and the pieces are scattered across time, space and dimensions. Greatly weakened from this, Dr. strange uses what energy he has left to summon some power to help him locate the fragments of the shattered Eye. He is more than a little surprised when a blue police box materializes in his sanctum Santorum and a strange man steps out: Dr. Who (preferably the Tom Baker version). After some brief introductions and explanations, the Doctor (Who not Strange), says that he can set the TARDIS to trace the lingering energy patterns remaining from the Eye to locate the shattered fragments. He bids Dr. Strange (still too weak for the journey) farewell and sets off in the TARDIS.

The TARDIS touches down in the era of Conan and shortly after leaving the ship the Doctor is encountered by a mercenary army who promptly captures him. He ends up in the gladiatorial pits where he meets up with Conan. Together they escape the pits, recover the fragment of the Eye and set off in the TARDIS.

The TARDIS next touches down in mystic Asgard. The Doctor and Conan encounter the Warriors Three in a tavern and, after each party earning the others respect, the Warriors agree to accompany the pair of strangers into the land of the frost giants to retrieve the second fragment.

After accomplishing this the group sets off for the final fragment, this one in the dimension of the Dread Dormammu. The problem is, Dormammu already knows about the fragment and has possession of it and demands that the party turn over their fragments to him. A battle royal ensues, with Conan and the Warriors Three battling Dormammu’s hordes while the Doctor tries to outwit the dread one himself. Just when things seem hopeless the cavalry arrives in the form of Doctor Strange and the Avengers. Once Doctor Strange has the two fragments of the gem returned to the amulet he is able to use it’s power to summon the third piece away from Dormammu. Needless to say, Dormammu is pissed! Using the power of the newly restored Eye and the Tardis, our heroes barely escape the dread dimension and return home, a little worse for wear but victorious!

Hope you liked it. I will post more stuff in the future.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
My idea for a Batman story.

There is a new killer in town who only hunts the wicked or the criminal element. This new character starts out small. He keeps killing bigger and bigger criminals. He kills them once a month. 11 killings have occurred. Then he kills the Mad Hatter. When that happens the Batman gets involved.

Batman starts to investigate all the different murders. He finds clues along the way that point to someone who is highly trained, has a lot of money behind them, and uses the same technology that Bats uses.

Batman discovers that it is Luke Fox who hunts and kills a criminal each time he travels to Gotham to visit his father Lucius Fox. When Batman discovers this he attempts to confront Luke but is beaten by Luke while battling him. During the battle Luke lets Batman know that Victor Zsasz has Lucius and Alfred and he is going to kill them. Luke goes to where Victor has both of them followed by the Batman.

The injured Batman arrives late and he watches the end of Luke's battle with Victor. Luke beats Victor to death after he finds out that Victor has cut his father's hand off. Luke frees both his father and Alfred.

At that point, the reader decide what happens to Luke. They get to decide if Batman allows him to go...or...Bats battles him again, wins by short circuiting Luke's suit, captures him, and puts Luke in Arkham Asylum.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Towmater

Ohh! Batman!

I’d always had an idea where Batman finally had enough the joker and put him in the bat cave in a medically induced coma.

I wanted to explore the fallout of it. Other villains will think he killed joker. Commissioner Gordon and the cops think Batman is a murderer.

Basically, gets Batman back to working outside the law.

That’s just the germ of it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie Why wouldn't Bat's just let Gordon know he has the Joker? He could take him to the Bat Cave and show him. He'd let them know he wasn't a murderer.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Towmater

I considered that, but wouldn’t admitting to kidnapping and a forced coma be too much for Gordon to overlook?

And heck, that might be part of the story.
Post 13 IP   flag post
If anyone is interested there is an 8 page Batman/Mr. Freeze story by Sean Murphy done before he started drawing for DC. It was never published. The guy who used to own the pages say that Sean Murphy used the story to highlight his abilities to DC.

The pages are still up on Comic Art Fans. Someone named Patrick Brooks used to own the pages. It is a different look at both Batman and Mr. Freeze. Link to all the pages. No dialog but you can understand the story.

clickable text
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Towmater, @Jabberwookie; Both very believable and viable story ideas. @michaelekrupp, probably a little complex to ever get a publishing company excited about but I like the cross-over of sci/fi, supernatural and Barbarian age Fantasy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Did anyone here read the Justice League arc Identity Crisis where they Lobotomized Dr. Light...and Batman? Amazing storyline that wrapped up in such a trite and disappointing way. The "Joker in a Coma" idea made me think of it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Did anyone here read the Justice League arc Identity Crisis where they Lobotomized Dr. Light...and Batman? Amazing storyline that wrapped up in such a trite and disappointing way. The "Joker in a Coma" idea made me think of it.

Yes!

I really enjoyed identity Crisis, but damn did they ruin it on the follow up.

The joker in a coma idea I had back in early 2000, but I’ve always remembered it because I just think Batman would do something after all the pain joker has caused.

Most stories focus on Batman killing Joker, but Bruce always finds another way.

Around that time I also had the idea of the heroes fighting each other over being registered.

I always imagined it as the X-Men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, the street level heroes versus Avengers, FF, the more established ones.

I was delighted to see Civil War, but Cap versus Tony wasn’t what I’d envisioned.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie If Bruce wanted to do something to the Joker to stop all the pain he has caused then he should give him enough blood thinners to cause the Joker to have a massive stroke. That way he wouldn't kill him, but he would eliminate the threat of the Joker ever doing anything to anyone again.

Does anyone know why Bruce never locked the Joker into a room like he did KGBeast and just leave him there?
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Towmater

I don’t think he’d do that deliberately, but neither of us really know for sure, so anything is possible.

Gotta admit, I know next to nothing KGBeast.

Recommend any trades or good starting points?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Here's a 12 issue maxi-series X-men storyline that I'm kind of surprised Marvel hasn't done yet:

At the end of Days of Future Past, Logan (or Kitty if you prefer) has an entire timeline reality that now only exists in their head. For the comic reading audience there is about a 15 year gap in what we know about the rise of the Sentinels and slaughter of the Marvel Universe. Troubled by nightmares and PTSD, Logan (or Kitty) seeks the Therapeutic help of Prof X or one of the other psychics. In a series of sessions they reach inside his head and pull out the untold story of that timeline. We get to learn how the Sentinels took over North America and how the rest of the world was reacting to it. Most importantly, we get to learn the details of how the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe were killed off and reduced to a few captive survivors living in Mutant Internment Camps.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Here's a 12 issue maxi-series X-men storyline that I'm kind of surprised Marvel hasn't done yet:

At the end of Days of Future Past, Logan (or Kitty if you prefer) has an entire timeline reality that now only exists in their head. For the comic reading audience there is about a 15 year gap in what we know about the rise of the Sentinels and slaughter of the Marvel Universe. Troubled by nightmares and PTSD, Logan (or Kitty) seeks the Therapeutic help of Prof X or one of the other psychics. In a series of sessions they reach inside his head and pull out the untold story of that timeline. We get to learn how the Sentinels took over North America and how the rest of the world was reacting to it. Most importantly, we get to learn the details of how the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe were killed off and reduced to a few captive survivors living in Mutant Internment Camps.

I like this one a lot.

And you are right, I’m surprised they didn’t go back to it, as much X-Men love alternate realities.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater, @Jabberwookie; Both very believable and viable story ideas. @michaelekrupp, probably a little complex to ever get a publishing company excited about but I like the cross-over of sci/fi, supernatural and Barbarian age Fantasy.

@EbaySeller It was never my intent to try to have that published. It was an exercise in creative writing. I read your proposal for this thread right before I went to sleep that night. I basically spent the 10 minutes before falling asleep and the 10 minutes before I crawled out of bed the next morning thinking on it and wrote down what I came up with. If I came into it with any sort of goal it was to find a plausible way to take cool characters who were unlikely to ever meet and place them in settings they were unlikely to ever be in. I was pretty happy with what came out relative to the time I invested in it.

Back in the 1990s I was seriously considering submitting stories to comic books for potential publication. Ultimately I chose to self publish, but I do have some stuff that were basically trial runs for me at that time, just to see what I could turn out. There was an indie publisher at that time who was doing an EC style anthology comic. Since I was familiar with that format I worked out a few stories. I never sent them in, as I figured out what my ultimate direction would be fairly quickly after that. Here is a story that I thought came out fairly well. I was gunning for a Weird Science type feel, with Wally Wood handling the artwork.

Post 22 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp, I liked it, although I was hoping that the "bad guys", especially the abusive jerk, got their comeuppance. I, like everyone does, tried to get ahead of the story and imagined the cat would cause his death or serious injury. Oh well, we can't have everything.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp Great story! Would be a really worthy fit for the Weird Science venue you had in mind. At the end where the couple makes some profound remarks about the state of humanity, I imagine the guy saying "I wonder what this neighborhood will look like 10 years from now." And Zeke has a look on his face that says "that's exactly what I was thinking".
Post 24 IP   flag post
Here is another story I wrote during that same period. I did this one full script. Probably my first attempt at that. I remember I already had this one in the drawer when artist Russ Heath was accepting commissions. I strongly considered asking him to illustrate this story, not necessarily to publish it but just to have it for myself. His art style was perfectly suited to this assignment! I ended up talking myself out of contacting him because I had absolutely no idea what he would charge and whether I could afford it or not. I didn’t want to be that guy that said “how much? ...Never mind”. Since his passing I have frequently lamented that I didn’t at least look into it.

Post 25 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp Great little story, glad I finally got around to reading it. For some reason at the end it made me think of Grandpa Simpson, lol.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm bumping this thread because clearly not very many people have read @michaelekrupps "Escape" story in post #25.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Here's a story idea that's pretty far out there, probably too complicated for me to ever pull it together into a coherent tale. It's heavily inspired by other Sci-Fi stories that I've read:

In the future courts expand protections to all sentient beings. It progresses from animals to insects and even advanced Artificial Intelligence. "Life" activists are motivated to have more and more things declared sentient, including viruses and bacteria. Eventually it's determined by science and courts that Evil Thoughts and horrible crimes are not the fault of humans...some(not all)thoughts are sentient beings that are generated by inspiration and either die quickly or take root! Thoughts that come from extreme levels of external inspiration, both good and evil, are parasites that are alive but need a host brain to exist. The horrible thoughts that lead to crimes need to be removed from the host brains, but the courts have determined that they have a right to life. The solution is that AI "Brain Boxes" are created to host the evil thought parasites that have been removed from human brains. Each Brain Box can host 500-600 sentient thoughts but it's a horrible job, even for AI. Each AI box is provided a dedicated full time human Psychiatrist who's job is to give the Brain Box full time therapy. Basically to keep the AI from being overwhelmed and going insane due to the sentient evil thoughts that it hosts. The Brain Boxes cannot legally kill the evil thoughts, but they have ways of legally disciplining and punishing them for getting too aggressive, just as a Prison Warden would. A big part of the Psychiatrists job is to keep the AI from losing it and killing the most egregious of the sentient thoughts. This would be a crime. The story is told from the perspective of the Psychiatrist who monitors and provides talk therapy to an AI Brain Box full time.
Post 28 IP   flag post
601464 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?