Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Are previews becoming a thing?12855

Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
On the new comictom101 video 2 new preview books made the top 10, first it was Miles Morales. Now its these two books

Are preview appearances really becoming a big thing for collectors?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheSickness private msg quote post Address this user
what happens is the app creates it as a key which causes people to buy, then 1 week later tom talks about an increase in sales over that week period... all created by the app.. its fake news and market manipulation... to answer your question, yes its a thing, but not a good one
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve never cared for Previews first appearances or first printed image or whatever you want to call it. I’m interested in the first comic book appearance, but that’s me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Others can buy it; I certainly won't. Unless I come across one for a few bucks - in which case I will sell it to someone.
Snake oil to me
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure to some people, previews are a thing. I don't buy them, and I don't know if I even have any anymore that weren't built into an already published comic and not a Wizard or some preview mag. I like how everything can be a key now as long as some talking head hypes it up.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Comictom and keycollector are a joke don’t listen to them. Previews shouldn’t be considered first appearance since it’s not in a comic book.

@thesickness is right they are con artists.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
This is one of the treads I definitely do not like. Not digging the 2nd/3rd print popularity either but the market dictates what they want to spend their money on.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Previews are exactly that and nothing more. The book is what counts.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Previews I can see being something to Completists..they'd probably be into it....most collectors, probably not so much.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Distracts the "collectors" from legit books... which is fine by me!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
It's pretty silly honestly to pay that much for a catalog.
Post 11 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Another niche inside a niche inside a niche?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
No
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene private msg quote post Address this user
It feels to me like watching a trailer and saying I saw the movie.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I sure hope not.

Just what we need is one more thing to complicate first appearances.

And from what is essentially a catalogue? Mark me down as a hard pass.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
This is dopey. It's like saying this is the 1st appearance of Batman...

Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
There are some who feel the Hulk 181 ads are 1st appearances, even though they came out after Hulk 180 LOL They actually place them above Hulk 180! I'm guessing because they can't afford either one,

But it's a crazy hobby. Money talks before truth, i.e. Capes #1 is not the 1st appearance of Rick Grimes, but ASM #365 is the 1st appearance of Spider-Man 2099(???). Both companies say so. Maybe some day they'll start labeling ads as 1st appearances too, if the money is right.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
There are some who feel the Hulk 181 ads are 1st appearances, even though they came out after Hulk 180 LOL They actually place them above Hulk 180! I'm guessing because they can't afford either one,

But it's a crazy hobby. Money talks before truth, i.e. Capes #1 is not the 1st appearance of Rick Grimes, but ASM #365 is the 1st appearance of Spider-Man 2099(???). Both companies say so. Maybe some day they'll start labeling ads as 1st appearances too, if the money is right.

See, you touch on something that I think is important.

A first appearance should be just that. If Super Ninja Monkey Pirate first appears in a preview, then that should be his first appearance, and it should be true across the board.

The problem has always been the way the market perceives, I think.

And, I get it. I would hate to shell out a couple grand for Hulk 181 to only see it drop because 180 is the “true” first appearance.

It’s just a mess...
Post 18 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I hope it is and it keeps on going. I have tons of old Previews in my storage from when I had my account with Diamond. Who knows what first appearances can be discovered. I sold the Previews 1st Spawn copies I had stuffed in a box for years for $$$ recently
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:

A first appearance should be just that. If Super Ninja Monkey Pirate first appears in a preview, then that should be his first appearance, and it should be true across the board.

Where do you draw the line? Preview is not a comic book, it's a catalogue. Harley Quinn's first appearance was an animated TV show. What if a characters first appearance was in a colouring book or an article in TV Guide?

I agree that there should be a standardized definition but even that wouldn't change how the market perceive books like Hulk 180 vs. 181. But for me, I draw the line that a characters 1st appearance should at the very least be an appearance in a comic book.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:

Where do you draw the line? Preview is not a comic book, it's a catalogue. Harley Quinn's first appearance was an animated TV show. What if a characters first appearance was in a colouring book or an article in TV Guide?

I agree that there should be a standardized definition but even that wouldn't change how the market perceive books like Hulk 180 vs. 181. But for me, I draw the line that a characters 1st appearance should at the very least be an appearance in a comic book.

Exactly. If comic book cannon is going to be dismissed, then the 1st appearance is the original art or the note pad doodle. NOW try to afford it lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
@GAC Fair point.

And it does make me wonder about digital comics and first appearances.

I wonder what that’ll look like?
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie So true!! If the physical comic disappears we'll all be collecting computer files..lol!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSickness
what happens is the app creates it as a key which causes people to buy, then 1 week later tom talks about an increase in sales over that week period... all created by the app.. its fake news and market manipulation... to answer your question, yes its a thing, but not a good one
I think you are missing the first step .. key c and comic tom obtain drek they think can be pumped ....
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i think key collector is a great app for collectors but honestly wish the guy Nick who runs and founded the app remove the prices. everything else is great about it.

and 1st appearances are when characters debut in a STORY not a CATALOG.
Post 25 IP   flag post
600906 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?