Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Will you be buying comics up until your death bed?12839

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I plan on having a Viking funeral. They will build a wooden raft, pile my comics on it and place my lifeless husk on top. Then oil will be poured over everything. They will shove the raft out into the lake. After a Viking horn is blown, an archer will fire a flaming arrow unto the raft igniting the oil, the comics and me. The raft will float into the sunset as my comics and body turn to ashes and smoke. However, they will have to wait a week to 10 days after I die to make sure they put all the comics from Ebay on there.

That is my vision, but the reality is that I'll keep buying comics until I run out of money or time.

If you have ever seen Deadman with Johnny Depp. (One of my all time favorite movies) his death at the end is a version of the Viking funeral.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I will stop when I dont find anymore holes to fill or art/stories of interest.
Post 27 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Do most of you that are still buying comics have a wife???My wife says a nuff is a nuff.We plan on using the money to travel in the good USA.Maybe a travel trailer.

I've been married 15 years tomorrow (09/10). My wife does not mind at all that I buy comics. She's not really into it, but she's cool with me doing it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The wife and I support each other’s hobbies and don’t interfere. I notice I have been buying less being newly retired and with more time, listing more non keys, and barely keys on EBay. Now I think I do not have enough boxes left that are show fodder for a show table, should they resume.
I know guys who’s houses are stuffed basement to attic with boxes, and storage units besides, they will purchase until death, and are a cautionary example. I think I will buy an occasional book or series, but will continue to refine to fewer, but the better books, just a hobby I like, probably until my robot body.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to think there will come a day when I will stop buying and focus only on reading my hoard. I keep telling myself that and yet I still keep buying more comics than I read. Probably when I stop working I will stop buying and hopefully be content with my library as it is at that point. I may sell off my “money” comics at some point, but the bulk of my collection I plan to retain and enjoy when I don’t have to work anymore.
Post 30 IP   flag post

To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I stopped buying new comics a long time ago and only buy collections now.
With my health on a downward slope now I'm starting to sell pretty much everything though. I have a 10' x 10' storage unit stacked to the ceiling with comics, action figures, Hot Wheels, and tons of other collectibles.
I'll probably keep a few things but my goal is to sell enough so I can finally close my storage unit.
Post 31 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Do most of you that are still buying comics have a wife???My wife says a nuff is a nuff.We plan on using the money to travel in the good USA.Maybe a travel trailer.

I've been married 15 years tomorrow (09/10). My wife does not mind at all that I buy comics. She's not really into it, but she's cool with me doing it.
I had to work late today so my wife grabbed my books from the LCS this week. I’m lucky.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@doog I love Johnny Depp but I have not heard of that movie. I will definitely be checking it out!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Buzzetta private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator

That is the interesting question then... at what point are we buying just to have something new versus actually collecting toward our focus?

A few years ago at NYCC there was a guy selling a 4.5 CGC copy of FF1 for $4500. I passed. I didn't feel like I should be spending that money at the time as I was saving more money for a home and I am not 'that' into the FF.

It was then that I felt I was just shopping just to shop... now I try to stay as focused as possible when it comes to buying things that I know I want to keep, and not flip.
Post 34 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Ooh, now you have me thinking. I'll have to sell some comics to start a foundation, one that will continue to buy comics AFTER my deathbed.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
When I was younger I remember talking to a bunch of older guys saying what they use to have, I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys, had full runs if most of the marvel titles, Spider-Man 1 on up, ff 1 on up etc. well I'm one of those guys. I foolishly traded my collection for a few golden age books. I started picking up some keys in the 90's and then put them in my safe and would open about every 10 years. I got back into comics in '17 and have spent WAY to much to pick up the books I got rid of in the late 80's. It's been a rush finding good deals on books, upgrading and selling a few off. The plan is to grade as many of the keys as possible. When I'm 65 or so, (54 now) start gradually selling them off. If I kick the bucket first, my wife will have aN easier time selling them. Have a few friends I can trust to help her. My kids will take a few of their favorites. When I get a book in the mail my middle daughter and wife try to beat each other by calling "dibs" On the book(s). We'll see, plans usually change.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Ooh, now you have me thinking. I'll have to sell some comics to start a foundation, one that will continue to buy comics AFTER my deathbed.

I like the way you are thinking!!!!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator

That is the interesting question then... at what point are we buying just to have something new versus actually collecting toward our focus?

A few years ago at NYCC there was a guy selling a 4.5 CGC copy of FF1 for $4500. I passed. I didn't feel like I should be spending that money at the time as I was saving more money for a home and I am not 'that' into the FF.

It was then that I felt I was just shopping just to shop... now I try to stay as focused as possible when it comes to buying things that I know I want to keep, and not flip.

Almost all of my recent collecting has been towards filling SA - 1995 holes. The notable exception was going after the star wars original 12 back action figure covers from 2015

and....

Post 38 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
For me it's not really about completing anything, it's more about enjoying an ongoing journey. There's two parts to the journey that I hope to keep enjoying for many years:

For Personal Collection I enjoy older and more hard to find books. I like searching for them, comparing conditions and prices, and trying to find the best value relative to other options. In some cases it's about specific books but mostly it's about Cover Art. Lately I've been looking at a bunch of EC sci-fi and horror books. Not even looking at the issue numbers, just trying to find good value in the covers that I find most intriguing. In these cases condition becomes very important below 4.0, but there's little chance I will be buying anything above 7.0. So 4.0 to 6.0 is kind of my sweet spot when I'm searching.

For selling purposes I enjoy trying to be ahead of the curve. When I speculate I'm not looking for the most upside potential, I'm looking for books that are so under-recognized currently that there is little to no downside. Basically Minor First appearances that haven't really popped yet and are probably selling now for as low as they will ever sell in the future. I often have to wait 5-10 years, but I've done well enough with books like this in the past to mostly pay for my collecting hobby. For example I recently bought 10 copies of the Jason Rousch Firestorm first appearance on MCS for $2 each. Maybe it will stay a $2 book, maybe it will become a $300 book...But it can't go much below $2. Repeat 10 times, have 2-3 of them pop and you start feeling like you're smarter than you really are. I enjoy speculating long term this way. Nothing quite like the feeling when your $2 book is valuable enough to send the 10 copies in for slabbing...just waiting to find out if each copy will be worth $300, or only $100.

Hopefully my deathbed will be far enough out that a grandchild will catch the bug and take over. Right now it doesn't look like either of my two kids are overly fascinated with these comic books they've spent their entire lives living with.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
the real question is

What comics do you plan to be buried with?

I have 2 set aside
Post 40 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Currently, my pull list is composed mostly of indy titles. The good thing is that most are short-run limited series types of titles. At this point, most of the ones I have on my pull list will be ending in the next couple of issues and I'm not intending to add much going forward. It's more of a cost to entertainment value ratio for me. It sometimes takes me less than 10 minutes to read a single issue, and against a cover price of $3.99+, it doesn't strike me as that great of a deal. However, I do enjoy the medium and will still keep buying some newer comics if they strike me as interesting. As for buying back issues for runs I'm working on, that will still happen. It's still a hobby for me and I enjoy it 85% of the time.
Post 41 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely not.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Good question!

I’m already slowing down right now.

We just bought a pool and also helping my mother in law out, so my comic budget is the one that suffered.

However, I’ll still pick up a few here and there.

Right now I’m trying to reduce my collection to about half.

As for being buried with them, I’d rather my kids have them.

My daughter loves teen titans so she gets those and the Stan Lee autograph. My Son gets the Steranko autograph, and anything Adam Warlock or Batman. And he gets the comic I have where my letter is published.

I’m even giving my nephew the first appearance of Damian Wayne.

I guess my goal is to achieve a slight amount of immortality...
Post 43 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I still read comic books and don't see why I would stop UNLESS all the stories and art was total garbage.

I don't buy single issues anymore, but buy trades instead, which means I am anywhere from 6 months to 12 months behind everyone else and get spoilers from friends and while grading.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
I'll buy until I die. I have an advance directive and will in place. My baby bro is to keep all my books and get my business assets to either keep or liquidate. He and his gf love this stuff so he told me he plans to mount and display the books in my memory in his house. He then wants to pass them on to kids.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think I'll stop buying moderns and off the rack in 5yrs...so I'll be 51/52
Hopefully before then I'll start selling off most of what I have (need to get it all organized first) and in yr 6 from now I'll concentrate on golden age (space, jungle, horror and war covers) and silver (keys) - maybe a few a year, like 5 or less

yeah...that sounds like a plan to me!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljordanfan
I’d plan of giving my sons my collection in advance if my death or liquidation in full.

That was my plan but my son is 14 and has zero interest in my collection. I retire in less than 5 years so I'm going back to Plan A. I have close to 50 boxes that I've been collecting for over 35 years. I'm selling for my retirement.
I'm still going to work on completing my Amazing Spiderman run though.
Post 47 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
My game plan is to morph my collection from quantity to quality.....I'll likely always be around the hobby....I'll sell many books to buy fewer higher value books. The higher value books are very liquid at slightly discounted prices. If I could liquidate my entire collection and buy a lower grade Batman 1 or a 7.0/7.5 Amazing Fantasy 15 I would in a heart beat....in fact, that's really what I'm doing. When the time comes to sell (either by me or I give them to my kids) then there'll be fewer to sell and hopefully higher values received.

Also, I believe big key books are less susceptible (not impervious) to market crashes....but I maybe wrong on that.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
If I were to know my time on this earth is about to expire I would stop buying and start selling in order to enjoy the limited time I still have. If I never get notified by a doctor that I am about to die I will collect until I die.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I only buy six ongoing series right now and don't think I'll be adding any more. Most of my buying is filling in holes or going after GA or SA books.

I don't foresee quitting the hobby - of course anything could happen - but I intend to leave the collection to my daughter or my hypothetical grandchildren.

My daughter thinks comics are stupid (then again, she's 13, so she thinks everything is stupid) and asked me a few months ago why I had the collection. I told her it was going to her after I was gone.

"What am I supposed to do with it?" she demanded. I tapped a box with my foot (fortunately I had a box with some of my bigger prizes out at the moment - FF 8 to 100, missing half a dozen or so issues) and told her the ballpark value of the contents.

Now she thinks comics are slightly less stupid.
Post 50 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My brother always says, your collection isn't worth squat until you sell it. Hypothetical value is a bunch of hot air.

Funny on how he would be the person inheriting any books I have left at my end of days....
Post 51 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@doog I love Johnny Depp but I have not heard of that movie. I will definitely be checking it out!

Post 52 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
the real question is

What comics do you plan to be buried with?

I have 2 set aside

Dazzler #1 and Not Brand Ecch Annual #1 ???
Post 53 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
My brother always says, your collection isn't worth squat until you sell it. Hypothetical value is a bunch of hot air.

Funny on how he would be the person inheriting any books I have left at my end of days....

Would he say the same about your house?
Post 54 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice

I don't put much stock in what he says about it. Obviously he has no qualms asking to borrow money from me so he knows I must be doing something right.

But yeah, I die he gets everything. Essentially he is the only family I have left. So the house is his too. Fortunately I'm worth more dead to him than alive.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600886 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?