Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

submission#212819

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Already planning ahead and thinking about submission number 2. This is probably going to get me crucified but I applied for a cgc membership also but I don't like the layout of their site. does anyone else dabble in both companies and if so what's good or bad about them? ty
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Competition is good for both sides.

CGC is pretty decent with TAT. Pressing quality seems decent. TAT for pressing is decent.

There progress is easier to track. With CBCS, you have to know to press the invoice hyperlink or you are left to wonder.

The bad.

Their graders notes are sporadic. Meaning a 9.2 yielded nothing. 9.6 and 9.8 were cut and paste. I like CBCS in this regard much much better. You only get grader notes on books you submit. Be prepared to pay either 5$ or 10$ for notes on books you didn't submit. (Why can't it just be 1 price?)

They nickel and dime you to death. 5$ handling fee for every tier. They ship stuff by tier not by submission. Meaning you might get multiple packages even if you sent only one in. The multiple packages means shipping costs may be crazy expensive because they don't group them together as completed.

I feel the grading with CBCS is more consistent. I sent in a book to CGC TO CPR and it was originally a CGC and it went from a 6.5 white to a 5.5 white AFTER a press with CGC in-house pressing.

Whereas I've sent a book to CBCS after a screw up and they had to regrade it and it came back the same.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user
I have used both, but have to say from the point of view of websites alone and ease of submitting, tracking etc CBCS has won it for me hands down.
I really don’t think CGC could have made submitting from the UK any harder if they tried.
Also not being able to submit unless your a member is nonsense.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Bronte That's the only thing I can think of that would turn me to CGC is the turn around time. I know they have a higher resale value but I'm not selling my books. I think from talking to everyone here that i'm going to stick it our here with Steve and everyone, much more user friendly especially if you're new.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Ironwill75 I like the layout of CBCs better and the forum is way more user friendly. I feel personally I would rather wait longer for a quality product than get handed back something that wasn't through as it could have been in a shorter time.

When my first subs come back I'll make my decision but it's a good chance I'm not going anywhere.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector kon_jelly private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte's post is pretty much my exact experience with the two companies. I've had a 9.2 come back with no graders notes from CGC before and that really pissed me off. I won't be renewing my CGC membership next year.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@kon_jelly om already canceling mine, I'm gonna use their submission kit to send books to cbcs hahaha!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicninja0215
I hope it all works out for you, I’ve just had some new holders come back their excellent quality better tab colouring etc.
The QR reader on the back with graders notes is also a nice touch and free 😎.
You’ll have to let us all know how it goes 🤞👌
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Ironwill75 absolutely!!! Ty brother!!🤟✌
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicninja0215 I’ve only used CBCS and I couldn’t justify using CGC. The inconsistencies and slabbing issue shared here a huge turn off and paying for graders notes and not getting any is absolutely ridiculous. I’ve purchased 2 CGC slabs and both have “puddling” and are going to be pressed and sent to CBCS.

As far resale value; it matters to some people if CGC or CBCS. In the end you are paying for the book in its grade. I’d rather purchase a CBCS 9.6 vs a CGC 9.6 and regardless of company FMV is what counts.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash mic Drop!!?🤣🤣🤣
Post 11 IP   flag post
I just got a venom variant in the mail yesterday so I believe that will be going out sometime as well. Steve and Daryl better get a brinks truck for all the money I'm sending them lol!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Ironwill75 If it's free it's for me!
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I want to send a book in for the verified sig program, do I have cut a window in the bag??
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
This is probably going to get me crucified but I applied for a cgc membership...

No crucifixion's here- It's crawling with CGC customers.

Quote:
If I want to send a book in for the verified sig program, do I have cut a window in the bag??
Not as long as the bag is clear. Obviously the book is taken out of the bag if the sig is on the interior, but I'm not sure if the book is taken out if the sig is on the cover- I'd imagine they take very close looks, so they probably do.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Siggy I guess there's been one too many bad experiences there?
Post 16 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Typically they take the book out to grade so just send as is. They actually found 2 books with signatures and contacted me to see if I wanted them verified. (I don't read or open my books and they were signed on first page.)
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Bronte That's pretty awesome!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yeah. One was a low grade Spiderman with mcfarlane. The other was denny oneal(sp?) On a batman book.

The batman was a resubmit from PGX, and they didn't notice it apparently either.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Are the people who verify (BAS) in the same building as the CBCS graders?

Quote:
@Siggy I guess there's been one too many bad experiences there?

Certainly for some.
Post 20 IP   flag post
601245 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?